Laptops forum

Scroll bar moves by itself, gets stuck on bottom

by Cali-Cowgirl / September 18, 2012 8:12 AM PDT

Actually, several issues began a few weeks ago on my laptop. Here's a list:

*scroll bar malfunction, will not scroll back up (just sinks to the bottom), or jumps around, firefox and windows xp

*cursor wanders to right dozens of spaces when trying to type, no visible characters, in various programs, search bars, etc.

*Space bar stops working on and off

*Icons/ selection boxes won't select, select themselves (ie, when I go to stand by/ shut down, stand by is already selected, can't select anything else)

*movies stall repeatedly (pause on their own, netflix)

*AVG shows pop up message (during movies): Firefox is using a large amount of memory, tells me to close and reopen

help!!!!! I have work to do/get and I don't know how to fix this- my Toshiba is old, but so far a diehard. I ran the temporary trial of AVG PC Tune-up & 1-Click Maintenance , it was better for about 40 minutes..... thanx

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Scroll bar moves by itself, gets stuck on bottom
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Scroll bar moves by itself, gets stuck on bottom
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Where do I start.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 18, 2012 8:18 AM PDT

That's a statement, not a question.

1. I disable the touchpad and plug in a mouse.
2. For the space bar I wait a while to see if item 1 helps. If not, I use an USB keyboard and order a new keyboard. At this point I've already used the canned air to get the hair and crumbs out.
3. AVG can be too touchy. I ignore it since movies on a web browser should use a lot of memory.

The stalling causes are all over the map from using wifi for streaming to a machine that has never seen canned air. More reading at;threadListing

Collapse -
Thanks R
by Cali-Cowgirl / September 18, 2012 8:54 AM PDT

I cleaned it about 6 months ago, could try going deeper I guess... The movies don't stop streaming, the pause button gets turned on and off by itself. Thought bad driver(s) might be the problem, I am not educated about such things.... Am learning as I go. I live on an island, so external devices are not easy to come by. Thought the question was obvious- what can I do to trouble shoot like crazy???? lol Maybe I better get on a friend's computer and order a new laptop....

Collapse -
Around here.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 18, 2012 9:02 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks R

PC desktops are thrown out all the time so USB keyboards are plentiful. And a common sight at any office supply store.

Collapse -
this worked
by eldoradochick / December 12, 2012 4:33 AM PST

omg the EXACT same thing was happening. i searched all over the net for answers and came across your post. i tried what the other person said with the mouse and disabling the touchpad and still nothing. then i realised it was the keyboard. i removed my spacebar key since it wasn't working and i cleaned it. i lifted the black thin paper like film under there and cleaned there too with a damp cloth. now my spacebar is working and the scrolling stopped. i almost cried today because this problem was frustrating me so much

Collapse -
Thanks for the update.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 12, 2012 4:44 AM PST
In reply to: this worked

If folk will share more, we learn more.

In your case I would have swapped in a working keyboard. You can imagine that at the shop we can't fix such and warrant such a fix. A few regulars we can give them the option but many consumers are litigious and we have to do it the right way to avoid issues later.

Collapse -
you're welcome
by eldoradochick / December 12, 2012 7:23 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks for the update.

yup still no scrolling hours later after dealing with this for over 2 months. wish i had known to do it sooner

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.