Computer Help forum

Alert

Screwed by CNET

by screwedbycnet / April 12, 2013 7:06 PM PDT

I trusted this site and ended up with two search engines that have taken over my computer including administrator so I can't get rid of them

I ended up with Tuvaro and proxy.allsearch all from one download here.

I can't get them off my computer. They are embedded and hidden and they took my administration control away from me.

HOW DO I GET RID OF THEM! SHAME ON YOU CNET FOR ALLOWING THIS! NEVER AGAIN WILL I EVER COME HERE FOR DOWNLOADS! YOUR PAGES ARE FULL OF DOWNLOADS OF CRAP NOW!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Screwed by CNET
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Screwed by CNET
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
A Couple Of Things You Need To Do
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / April 13, 2013 1:17 AM PDT
In reply to: Screwed by CNET

First, because it can be considered malware, first see if you can uninstall it in Control Panel-Programs and Features.. Next, download, install, update and run full system scans with BOTH of the free tools below. Delete any spyware/adware they find. The scans will take a while but it should clean out the junk.

Malwarebytes Installer Download Link (Clicking on the links below may immediately start the download dialogue window.)
http://www.besttechie.net/tools/mbam-setup.exe

SuperAntispyware
http://www.superantispyware.com/SuperAntispyware

Once that's done, then open your browsers, and access the "Add-ons" section and remove the search engines you're referring to, if they're not already removed.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Uncheck the boxes
by pyrrhus55 / April 13, 2013 11:21 AM PDT
In reply to: Screwed by CNET

Ok, you download a program.
The install process begins. It asks you many things.
It asks if you want the program as a desktop item, a start-up item, etc.
Many segments of the install process may ask if you want another program or add-on added.
Never be afraid to uncheck the boxes. The start-up boxes especially.
There's nothing wrong with saying ...no thanks in a install process.
Excepting default checked items, and just going next...next ...next...is a great way garbage up & slow your PC.
Regardless of where you download.
By the way...caps are RUDE.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.