Windows 7 forum

Question

Screenshot? Similar to WP8 and iOS.

by A380747 / December 7, 2013 8:14 PM PST

Hi, I wanted to know how can take a screenshot quickly in windows 7 . I know there is built in "snipping" software, but using it all the time is cumbersome. There is supposedly a way if doing it by tapping "ctrl+print" or "function+print screen", but it never works.
There is an way of taking screen shots in Windows Phone and iOS. I wanted to know how to do so in the laptop.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Screenshot? Similar to WP8 and iOS.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Screenshot? Similar to WP8 and iOS.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Re: screenshot
by Kees_B Forum moderator / December 7, 2013 8:27 PM PST

The good old print screen key in Windows 7 still works the same as in older versions of Windows. It copies the whole screen as a picture. You can paste it into Paint, for example. Combined with alt it copies the active window in stead of the whole screen.

With me it's not ctrl+print (there's no 'print' key on my keyboard) nor function+print screen (there's no 'function' key on my keyboard, but there are 12 function keys named F1 to F12).
But I need to print shift to use the print screen function, because it's on upper half of a key (the lower half is labeled SysRq, just like I need to use shift to type a $ with the 4-key.
Your laptop keyboard might be different from the keyboard on my desktop.

Kees

Collapse -
HP Pavilion dv6
by A380747 / December 8, 2013 8:33 PM PST
In reply to: Re: screenshot

I have a HP laptop. May be you can find the keyboards image somewhere and tell me what to do???
Thanks. I'm not able to find a solution .

Collapse -
Answer
It's just Print Screen
by Jimmy Greystone / December 7, 2013 10:06 PM PST

It's just the Print Screen button all on its own to capture the entire screen and Alt + Print Screen to capture just the current window. You could also get something like the freeware program irfanview which lets you take screenshots that are a bit more selective. You can do things like take screenshots after a specific period of time or set it to capture just the current window and configure your own hotkey to trigger the taking of a screenshot. It also has some limited editing tools, along the lines of MS Paint, if you want to say crop the photo or draw an arrow to point to a specific part of a screenshot for a tutorial document or something.

Collapse -
Lets see
by A380747 / December 8, 2013 8:36 PM PST
In reply to: It's just Print Screen

I'll try doing that . Thanks anyway.

Collapse -
I have tried everything
by Louis39 / December 9, 2013 2:26 AM PST
In reply to: It's just Print Screen

I've tried every combination indicated in the replies without any luck, still only get a black screen. To be specific I have tried the following and then opened Paint and clicked on paste.

1. PrtScrn key only

2. Alt and PrtScrn

3. Ctrl and PrtScrn

4. Ctrl, Alt and PrtScrn

5. Shift and PrtScrn

Before I switched to Windows 7 from XP I had no problem capturing a screenshot.

Collapse -
Ya exactly
by A380747 / December 10, 2013 10:52 PM PST

Nothing is working at all. So confusing .

Collapse -
Answer
Now there's enough to point out prior discussions.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 9, 2013 2:35 AM PST
Collapse -
They should add this
by A380747 / December 19, 2013 12:29 AM PST

Why can't Microsoft add a completely new shortcut just like for saving files we tap "ctrl and s", similarly for taking a SCREENSHOT why can't they have something like "shift+s" . So that way this will be there everywhere regardless of the manufacturer of the hardware!!!!
Your view??

Collapse -
That's easy.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 19, 2013 1:11 AM PST
In reply to: They should add this

I can't guess how long you've been around the PC story. The concept is that any maker can build a PC the way they want and if they alter the keyboard the maker can supply either an instruction or a helper app.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.