Windows Legacy OS

General discussion

Screensaver won't turn on

by conwatcher / November 18, 2005 12:44 PM PST

None of my screensavers, including system included, seem to work. I have set my screensaver to activate after 10 minutes. Power settings put the computer in standby after 30 minutes. After 10 minutes, the screen goes black and I lose out on any screen saver effects. Screensaver previews work fine, but the system won't start them on their own. Any ideas?

I am using an AthlonXP 2800+ on a GA-7VT600 board with 768MB RAM. Also an ATI Radeon 9600 on a WinXP-SP2 system.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Screensaver won't turn on
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Screensaver won't turn on
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Screensaver
by crazeebob2000 / November 18, 2005 1:42 PM PST
Collapse -
Tried this - no luck
by conwatcher / November 19, 2005 8:39 AM PST
In reply to: Screensaver

I tried this fix, but it made no difference. best I can tell, the screensaver is enabled in the registry. It just won't come on unless I start it manually. It will blank the screen when scheduled to, but the saver itself will not start.

Any other ideas??

Collapse -
Screen saver not working- just goes black for 2 months
by mariaisthebestever / April 23, 2010 11:01 PM PDT

Hey this was a very helpful thread. I ran my malware software and found 2 bugs. also- play sushi was uninstalled. The most helpful advice was to go to kellys-korner and use tip 51- as advised by crazeebob.

It worked right away. My antivirus told me it wasn't a secure site and not to download blah blah blah. I took a risk and it worked well with no problems and with the desired results.

thanks crazee

Collapse -
screensaver won"t come on
by harbirch / May 31, 2010 3:04 AM PDT

You're suggestion to go to Item 51 worked perfectly. Thanx for your great help. Harry B

Collapse -
THANK YOU so much. It worked.
by CNETjpc / October 11, 2011 1:35 PM PDT

If even half the things in this world worked as well as this fix you pointed us to...

Collapse -
By any chance,
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / November 19, 2005 7:03 PM PST
Collapse -
No wireless keyboard or mouse
by conwatcher / November 19, 2005 7:27 PM PST
In reply to: By any chance,

Nope, I had noticed that thread in searching for a solution, alos. I use a standard keyboard and mouse.

Collapse -
Screensaver not starting - Windows XP.
by tallboy367 / March 17, 2009 10:38 PM PDT

Hello all that have this problem. I have a customer that aquired the problem so through some investigation this is what I found to correct it. Besides what others had for their solutions! ! !
** If these keys exist - delete all; They intercept calls to screensaver start. Check for this under all ControlSet(s). Now keep in mind RCV2 does exist.. DO NOT DELETE this one. This is the one you need for the screensaver call to work. **

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Nls\MUILanguages\RCV

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Control\Nls\MUILanguages\RCV

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet004\Control\Nls\MUILanguages\RCV

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Nls\MUILanguages\RCV

Let me know if this doesn't coorrect your situation, because I might know of another one that could help.

Collapse -
I am also having a similar problem
by Einstein47 / June 15, 2009 6:41 AM PDT

It has been creeping up on me. I used to be able to close one of the applications I had running and then the screen-saver would work. But now I have closed everything (except FF3 to enter this post) and I still can't get my screen-saver to start.

I have installed a screen-saver launcher that sits in my system tray so I can double-click to launch my screen-saver immediately. (Installed with Hypnogenic Screen-saver by Synthesoft). I am able to set my screen-saver to be anything including the default Windows savers, but nothing will run when I double-click the launcher icon. Nothing will start when I wait the 10 minutes. It is just odd.

I have searched for the registry entries that were specified, but I don't have any of them. I do have "RC" enteries and "RCV2" entries, but no "RCV" entries.

Any additional advice would be awesome. THANKS!

Collapse -
sounds like it could be a few things
by dlancelot / June 27, 2009 2:01 AM PDT

this may be a virus...scan with superantispyware (a full system scan on all your hard drives, this will take hours, but you don't need to sit and watch/wait for it to complete).

Then post your results back once that's done.

Collapse -
No virus found
by Einstein47 / July 14, 2009 6:22 AM PDT

I have done several scans - virus, adware, malware, etc. I have also verified my optical mouse. I have closed absolutely all programs I can.

What is weird - if I open the display dialog and select the screensaver tab, adjust the time to like 1 min, hit APPLY and leave it there, after 1 min the screensaver will run. WOO HOO! I thought. But if I click OK to close the dialog, then the screen saver doesn't launch.

I am just stumped. Any more advice ... anyone ... anyone ... Bueller.

Collapse -
I would still do those scans
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / July 14, 2009 6:53 AM PDT
In reply to: No virus found

with the SUPERAntispyware already suggested and with Malwarebytes' Anti-malware, just to be doubly sure. Those utilities are the new kids on the block, and are finding lots of things that the more established scanners miss nowadays.

Tell us about this computer. Any other Power Options selected? Any other issues?

Mark

Collapse -
This is interesting
by Einstein47 / July 15, 2009 5:13 AM PDT

It seems that the screen saver will work if I don't put a check in the "On resume, password protect" box. I can use any screen saver and they all work great. However, as soon as I select the "On resume, password protect" box, none will work. Very interesting - no? Are you aware of anything that changes when the screen saver resumes with a password?

I will get that SUPERAntispyware and Malwarebytes you mention and do a scan tonight. Maybe there is something else on my machine that McAfee, AdAware, and Glary Utilities don't catch.

Collapse -
Yes that is strange.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / July 15, 2009 5:33 AM PDT
In reply to: This is interesting

Not something I have come across before.

Just an obvious question though, so my apologies in advance, is your account password protected? If it wasn't I could, perhaps, see a conflict.

If it is, do you have other password protected accounts on this system? if so, what happens if you log in to Windows using one of the others and try the screen saver?

Mark

Collapse -
What is that login screen?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 15, 2009 5:41 AM PDT
In reply to: This is interesting

In XP if we tinker with the login screen other things act oddly. Try enabling the Welcome Screen, and then going to the Screen Saver Properties and choosing "On resume, show Welcome Screen". See if that works.

If so, disable the Welcome Screen and enable "On resume, password protect" again and see what happens.
Bob

Collapse -
I'm on a domain account
by Einstein47 / July 15, 2009 8:58 AM PDT

This is a reply to both MarkFlaks and Proffitt.

I have 2 laptops that don't exhibit this problem - I have enabled the "On resume, password protect" on both of them and the screen saver activates after the specified inactivity.

However, my main desktop is on a domain. We use Novell for authentication (I know, I can hear your eyes rolls from here). So I really don't have any non-password accounts, nor do I have access to the Welcome screen.

One of the reasons I have the password protection enabled is because I don't feel comfortable at work leaving my PC unprotected. (not just from prankster co-workers, but I also have access to some sensitive data that I don't want others viewing). I could just hit the Windows+L key to lock my workstation, but I would much rather prefer a screen saver instead.

What is most crazy is that I didn't have any problems until a few months ago. It seemed that if I closed 1 of my open applications, then the screen saver would function normally. But lately I can't get it to function without the password option being unselected.

I'm just really confused with this.

(oh, I ran the fast scans and only found tracking cookies - I'll do the more through scans tonight)

Collapse -
Ahh.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 15, 2009 9:46 AM PDT

Sorry but that has been unreliable. You'll want to talk to Novell's support.

I look up at to top post and didn't see you were on some non-MSFTY setup. Sorry but this is your IT and Novell's bug to solve.
Bob

Collapse -
This is not a Novell issue
by Einstein47 / July 28, 2009 2:24 AM PDT
In reply to: Ahh.

I realized that I was only on XP sp2 - so I upgraded to sp3, and the screensaver will function sometimes now.

There seems to be some interaction between VNC viewer and the screensaver with password turned on. I have tried several VNC viewers (TightVNC, UltraVNC, WinVNC) and they all will keep my screensaver from launching when I have the "on resume, password protect" option enabled. Before I launch the VNC viewer the screen saver will function perfectly. As soon as I launch the VNC viewer, the screen saver will not launch, and then (this is most strange) when I close the VNC viewer app, sometimes the screen saver will work again, and sometimes it will not. Almost like the VNC viewer is still running in my computer's memory even after closing it.

Does anyone know of an interaction between VNC viewer applications and the password protection on the screen saver?

Collapse -
Deeply technical.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 28, 2009 2:39 AM PDT
Collapse -
screen saver does not start automatically - but does manuall
by snrwo1 / February 16, 2012 8:09 PM PST
In reply to: No virus found

Since my Vista 64 bit PC (HP) I have the same from time to time. Every time I can 'fix' it by going to the screensaver settings and changing the start time from 4 to 5 and back and hit apply.
However, after a while, and it was indeed last time after some Microsoft updates were applied, it happened again. My wireless optical mouse no longer seem to work so that is now a cabled one, but my keyboard is the supplied one that came with the PC and is wireless.

Collapse -
this has worked 5 times go into safe mode rest the screensav
by automaton2 / May 28, 2012 11:05 AM PDT

this has worked 5 times go into safe mode reset the screensaver hit apply ok
reboot it has worked for me

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.