Windows 7 forum

Question

Screensaver that plays all photo and video formats

by iamhereathome / September 20, 2011 8:47 PM PDT

I am using windows live photo gallery for a screensaver. It plays all photo and video except videos with in the MOV format. I have searched for a solution and have not found a resolution. So now I am searching for a screensaver that plays all video and photo files. I found a couple but you have to "build" it by pointing the screensaver to specific files. Does anyone know of a screen saver that would play all photo and video files by just pointing them to the folder containing the photos and videos? Thanks for any help.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Screensaver that plays all photo and video formats
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Screensaver that plays all photo and video formats
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Re: screensaver
by Kees_B Forum moderator / September 20, 2011 8:51 PM PDT

It seems much easier to me to convert that mov-file to a format the windows photo gallery program can play.

Kees

Collapse -
Easy yes but time consuming
by iamhereathome / September 21, 2011 3:04 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: screensaver

I agree it is easy, but not when you have 100+ to convert.

Collapse -
Trying to envision something
by Steven Haninger / September 21, 2011 3:46 AM PDT

You've got 100+ video files you'd like to add to your screen saver collection? No offense meant but, for some reason, I got a chuckle out of that. I thought screen savers were meant for times when no one wanted to do anything useful with their PC. I remember old jokes where folks complained that the only worthwhile channel on their TV was the one showing the test pattern. Enjoy. Happy

Collapse -
100 plus videos
by rockyruggiero / January 26, 2013 9:05 AM PST

I have 100 plus videos too. I don't know what's so "wrong" with that. I take small videos on my camera and down load them to my computer. It's awesome to see my kids pop up in videos throughout the day and weekends. I just detest when folks act so small minded that they wouldn't understand why someone would have 100 videos in the course of a lifetime? And, why not use them as a screen saver and occassionally re live the memories. Lets face it - otherwise - YOU WONT. Sooooo whose the dummy in this picture?

Collapse -
I agree with you
by roccoanthonyruggiero / May 17, 2013 9:43 AM PDT
In reply to: 100 plus videos

I also take small, short videos of my family. Ya know, you are at White Castle or a baseball game - whatever - you capture a moment for 20 seconds and you enjoy seeing them on the screen saver months and years later. I just want you to know that you are NOT alone. It's a GREAT idea and you sound like a soulful person who wants to re live great memories. Hey, if you find a screen saver that plays those movie clips - please let me know. THANKS. Rocky

Collapse -
Answer
What I use.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 21, 2011 4:00 AM PDT

1. For conversion, HANDBRAKE.

You say you have 100 files? It can do them in batch mode.

2. You say you want the screen saver to do those.

Did you try a MOV CODEC?
http://www.google.com/search?q=mov+codec

Bob

Collapse -
Screensaver
by iamhereathome / September 21, 2011 4:11 AM PDT
In reply to: What I use.

Actually I have all my photo and video files (9000 and growing) on an external hard drive. We we are not actively using the pc it is our digital photo frame in the family room. It is pretty cool to see stuff come up from years gone by seeing kids grow up, crawl, vacations, etc. What's the point of having a digital camera and never looking at the pictures? And yes I actually use it as a pc.

Is anyone aware of a screensaver that works live windows live photo gallery that also plays the mov format?

Collapse -
How about
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / September 21, 2011 5:05 AM PDT
In reply to: Screensaver

a workaround?

I only offer it if you can't find anything that works for you.

Since Windows Media Player does play these .MOV files why not use that?

What I mean is this. The PC is not actively used so I am guessing you would like to use it, (or already are using it), to show images and play videos in the background in the family room. I think that's a great idea.

WMP can "Shuffle" content. Since you are using Windows 7 I assume this WMP is version 12, the same as mine. If you open WMP and click the ? icon top right, a Help page will open and you can search for "Shuffle" there.

It's possible to shuffle playback of files you point WMP to and the player will happily play those movies, (all file types it can play), continuously.

Play back of images might need some work if they are in the same folder. I'm not sure how that would work.

But you can make WMP go Full Screen which would be just like a screen saver. You would have to set this up each time, and there would be other things to sort out, but then I don't see why it shouldn't work all day until you close the system down at night.

Just a thought.

Mark

Collapse -
Thanks Mark
by iamhereathome / September 21, 2011 7:53 AM PDT
In reply to: How about

I understand what you are saying, but unfortunately as I understand it, you have to pick actual files to use media player. On my external drive I have a folder called "photos", containing other folders such as 2003 Photos, 2004 photos, etc. and they contain subfolders. With windows live I just point it to "photos" and it does the rest. I would have to select individual files to use media player I believe. That would be pretty arduous.

Collapse -
I think Mark is onto something
by Steven Haninger / September 21, 2011 7:04 PM PDT
In reply to: Thanks Mark

You can have WMP add the contents of entire folders to a playlist. You don't have to do it one file at a time. There will be initial setup and you can keep adding to the play list. You could also create more than one playlist and use certain ones for special occasions. For your purposes, I'd think this could be better than just the screensaver mode. It sounds as if you may have already expended a bit of time in this effort. Why not at lest give it a shot....?

Collapse -
I would be guessing you didn't try this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 21, 2011 5:08 AM PDT
In reply to: Screensaver

Since most Windows apps use CODECS I would be guessing that you tried installing this or not.
Bob

Collapse -
MOV codec
by iamhereathome / September 21, 2011 4:14 AM PDT
In reply to: What I use.

I tried the codecs. Windows Media player plays MOV files as does Windows Live Photo Gallery. They just won't play in screensaver mode. Go Figure????

Collapse -
OK, it has the CODEC but what screensaver is this?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 21, 2011 5:09 AM PDT
In reply to: MOV codec

I missed it.

Collapse -
Found a screensaver
by iamhereathome / October 12, 2011 10:40 AM PDT
Collapse -
That's great
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / October 12, 2011 7:55 PM PDT
In reply to: Found a screensaver

Good work and thanks for letting us know.

Mark

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.