Windows 7 forum

General discussion

Screensaver does not work in Windows 7

by cmfurgason / September 16, 2010 7:45 AM PDT

Win7 (32-bit) Screensaver not working. Intel DG31PR 775 Socket with integrated LAN and Sound. Dual processor. 4gig memory.

I've read everything I could find on this problem, but none of the answers in Forums online have helped and I'm hoping one of your faithful has a solution. Here's my story.

I have installed Win7 using Update from Vista Basic, and, the Custom install from WinXP. The screensavers work fine in both WinXP and Vista, but under both setups when I start Win7 Home Premium with just the basic OS installed the screensaver doesn't work.

Things I've tried:
- Clean Boot
- Unchecked the setting for the network card to "Allow this device to wake the computer."
- Turned off the setting in the BIOS to wake the computer
- Disconnected the USB Optical mouse and plugged in a PS-2
- Keyboard is PS-2
- Disconnected all USBs
- Shutoff the Background Slide Show
- Set Microsoft Default Screensaver to begin in one minute - Screensaver previews fine, but won't envoke itself
- Disconnected PCI cards
- I have the Power Options set to ?Balanced? Turn off display in 10 minutes & Put computer to sleep in 30 minutes
- Installed all the latest Updates from Microsoft for Win7
- Put a checkmark in front of "On resume, display logon screen" as some advised online
- Checked the Power Management tab, the setting to allow this device to wake the computer was already unchecked. But in the Advanced tab, there is an entry called 'Wake on Settings'. That was set, by default, to 'Wake on Magic and Directed'. I changed it to 'Disabled'

Perhaps this is solely a Microsoft problem that cannot be fixed by the end user. I'm completely open to suggestions. Anybody else out there with the same problem?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Screensaver does not work in Windows 7
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Screensaver does not work in Windows 7
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I can only think of 2 possible reasons
by peacox / September 19, 2010 6:16 PM PDT

one is what I call the creeping mouse pointer which is where the mouse pointer creeps across the screen even tho' the mouse is not moving, it's caused by the laser flickering in a dying mouse or one with a dying battery (wireless mouse).But you've changed the mouse so thats out.
The other is that it is turned off in the registry at HK_Current_user\control panel\Desktop -> ScreensaverActive = 0
If it is 0 change it to 1 by right clicking ScreensaverActive and choosing modify, replace the 0 with 1 and OK out

Collapse -
You just made me the happiest person in the world!
by langer95 / November 5, 2011 1:16 AM PDT

I can't thank you enough for your wisdom on how to fix my Screensaver that just wasn't working. I had to bring my computer back to a manufacturers restore. Ths screensaver (photo) was working until I did this. I have spent this entire week of google searching on how to repair it. At first I thought it was the photo thing so I tried "ribbons" and that didn't work so again this morning I did my google search and came across with your answer. I went to my Windows Update as you suggested and found the update that you listed. I installed it and now my Screensaver is working with my photos. Thank you from the bottom of my heart. You are a Godsend to me.
I wonder if you can help me with another problem. I bought this stupid HP desktop tower (s 5000 series) and it's the second one since April. Every so often I get "missing operating system". Staples took the first tower back and the hard drive was totally dead. Last week when I got this same message that's when I put in the first of 3 recovery disks and it reformatted the hard drive and set it back to manufacturer's settings. But yesterday I got the same message. Have you ever heard of this and, if so, can it be repaired without calling HP help desk. They are of no help to me at all!

Collapse -
Re: missing operating system
by Kees_B Forum moderator / November 5, 2011 1:22 AM PDT

Given it's from last April you still have warranty. So back to Staples again.

Kees

Collapse -
missing operating system
by langer95 / November 5, 2011 3:29 AM PDT

My problem is that Staples won't touch it because the HP warranty has to be finished and that won't be until next May. They told me that I'd have to get permission from HP to check it out and I know that's never going to happen. All they can say is "we can help you - we will walk you through it". I hate their help desk! I think I'm going to try a google search for a person of authority at HP. Maybe, just maybe they can give me authorization to bring it to Staples. When it happened with the first tower it was 3 weeks old. I called Staples and they told me they couldn't take it back after 14 days. But when I contacted HP's stupid help desk 4 times with no help I called Staples again and was told to bring it in. They had so much trouble trying to find out where the hard drive was and this idiot woman at the help desk said that she could walk me through opening the tower and checking the hard drive. Maybe I'll give Staples a chance and call them. Thanks for your response.

Collapse -
How?
by infti / November 11, 2013 11:47 AM PST

"HK_Current_user\control panel\Desktop -> ScreensaverActive = 0"

Can you please give exact and complete instructions?

Thanks.

Collapse -
If You're Wanting Those Regedit Instructions
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / November 13, 2013 8:07 AM PST
In reply to: How?

Unfortunately, you didn't give which operating system you're using, but assuming it's Windows 7 like the original poster, read below. (I'm using a Windows XP computer here, but it should be much the same in Windows 7.). Remember, be careful about changing anything in the registry and if you're uncomfortable doing so, get some local help to assist.:

Open a "Run" line window by pressing the "Windows key" (the key between Ctrl and Alt) and the "R" key simultaneously. At the Run line, type "regedit" (without the quotes) and click on OK. When the Registry Editor opens, looking on the left side of the window, click on the + sign next to the "HKEY_CURRENT_USER" folder, then the + sign next to "Control Panel", then click directly on the folder named "Desktop" to display the key values on the right side. Now look on the right side of the window and find the listing for "ScreensaveActive".. It should show the Data value as 0..

You're going to change that by RIGHT clicking directly on the "ScreenSaveActive" name, then choose "Modify" from the little menu.. In the "Value Data" section, change the 0 entry to 1. Once you've changed the value, click on OK to close the small window and close the Registry Editor by clicking on the red X in the upper right corner. Now close all Windows and restart the computer.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Regedit Instructions
by thomson45 / February 12, 2014 12:58 AM PST

Perfect. Clear and thus easy to follow. I wonder how it got set to 0. It happened recently.

Collapse -
Registry Cleaners Will Do Such.. Used One?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / February 12, 2014 8:18 AM PST
In reply to: Regedit Instructions

Such registry cleaners are not recommended by most on these forums.. Why? Because they frequently cause more problems than they fix.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Solution to making screensaver work in Windows 7
by Daphna3 / December 13, 2010 4:12 AM PST

I have Windows 7 Ultimate on my netbook. The screensaver, the sleep mode and all the other power options, such as the screen should dim or go blank after a certain period, were not working. If I unplugged my wireless mouse and keyboard, then these options worked. To get the screen saver and power options to work when a wireless mouse is connected, do the following:
Go to All Programs, then to Windows Update. Download updates if needed. Then click on the link "Review Optional Updates". Of those, select "Microsoft HID non-user input data filter". Install that update.
Once done, the screensaver works even while a wireless mouse is plugged into the laptop.

Collapse -
Solution to making screensaver work in windows 7
by DeniseNLuv / April 6, 2011 6:23 AM PDT

THANK YOU for this post. My moms desktop is having the same problem. She spent a total of 9 hours on the phone in the last 2 weeks with HP trying to diagnose this problem.She sent the computer back to be repaired. They replaced the mother board and it stil did not work. I googled the problem,saw your comment, then called her. She unplugged her wireless mouse and it worked! Happy

Collapse -
Mouse was the problem
by ruff1951 / December 15, 2011 11:39 PM PST

Thanks for the post on the mouse. I switched the mouse on my wifes new computer from the wireless to the one that came with her computer, and wha-la! works like a charm now!

Collapse -
Solution to making screensaver work in Windows 7
by swstuc / September 16, 2013 12:02 AM PDT

Daphna3
This worked perfectly. Thank you for your help!

Collapse -
Screensaver and Sleep Mode won't Go On
by LX888889 / June 10, 2014 6:43 AM PDT

I have a weird problem: the screensaver and computer sleep modes will start the first time the computer is booted up but will not start after that. In Power Options, I have the screensaver set at one minute and the computer sleep set at one hour. (I checked regedit and ScreensaverActive = 1).

Using Windows 7 Home Premium with automatic updates. Any ideas?

Collapse -
This thread is more than 1362 days old.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 10, 2014 6:46 AM PDT

If the solutions here fail, try a new post with the full details.

Collapse -
Screensaver does not work in Win7
by cmfurgason / March 4, 2011 9:01 PM PST

After a year of searching, I finally found out the Mobo didn't support Win7. I have another board now and the screensaver works wonderfully well.

Collapse -
I Had The Same Problem GRRRRR!
by Acts16_31 / January 23, 2013 6:06 AM PST

Try creating a new administrator account. You can delete the old one if you like. Just remember to keep your files. It worked for me.

Collapse -
creeping mouse etc no screensaver
by omalley69 / November 7, 2014 11:09 AM PST

i found after doing everything i was told to do and the info about creeping mouse . well i unplugged my wireless microsoft mouse and suddenly i have a screensaver so no i think i am going to be stuck with wired mouse. well it turns out all i did was put on my gearhead wireless mouse and it all worked just fine . so im not sure about the creeping mouse as i am just plain old microsoft errors as usual bill gates strikes again.cant for the life of me figure out why. microsoft doesnt work. then again all the junk software they make apparently some programmer somewhere didnt connect the two together . im an old tech and programmers were always amking small mistakes . hope this helps get a gearhead mouse.

Collapse -
I have tried everything
by erwmonti / June 12, 2015 7:27 AM PDT

HI, I installed a program, Auslogics Disk Defrag Screensaver, I know the screensaver of my computer with Windows 7 is active 'cause I follow the steps to do it, I try with The Bubbles screensaver, and it works perfectly, but I don't know why this program that will help me to improve the performance of my pc is not working!
Please help me! Is really frustrating this, but I don´t want to give up, ´cause I had a laptop with the same problem, same windows, and it worked, I don´t remember how, so I know the program works with the windows 7.
Thanks!!!

Collapse -
5 years has passed.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 12, 2015 4:10 PM PDT

Microsoft may have tightened security. That and the above didn't work for you either.

Back to Auslogics to see if they can fix it today.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.