Audio & Video Software forum

General discussion

Screen video capture to live stream

by rcampbell12 / November 12, 2008 10:08 AM PST

There are plenty of tools to help you capture screen video to a AVI file (or some other format) so that you can then post the file on a web site, distribute it on CD, or whatever. But what I'm looking for is a software app that other programs will see as a web/video cam from which they can consume a video feed. But the video feed comes from my screen video. This would allow an app like Skype or any other app that consumes a video feed to see what's happening on my screen. If I'm still as clear as mud, then imagine it this way: It'd be like pointing a web cam at your computer's screen. You'd see what was going on there. However, in this case, you remove the camera and the software app emulates the camera and feeds the screen's video to whatever is consuming it. Does anyone know if such an app is available?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Screen video capture to live stream
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Screen video capture to live stream
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by B123456H / November 15, 2008 4:25 AM PST

try the free video capture program called debut (by NCH)

google for debut nch

Collapse -
by rcampbell12 / November 15, 2008 4:39 AM PST
In reply to: debut

Thanks, however it does not seem to do what I asked about, so I'm still looking.

Collapse -
take a look
by B123456H / November 15, 2008 4:56 AM PST
In reply to: debut
Collapse -
Take a look
by rcampbell12 / November 15, 2008 5:11 AM PST
In reply to: take a look

Thanks again. I appreciate your efforts. I've asked this question in a couple of different places, but people don't seem to understand what I want. I thought I explained it pretty well, but maybe I'm not doing a good job of that. Think of it this way: If you pointed your web cam at your computer's screen, people could see what you were typing, the spreadsheet you were working on, the picture of your pet, whatever. So you could teach someone how to set up page margins in Word or how to work with layers in Photoshop, right? They'd see what you were doing on screen (they don't need to see you, they need to see your screen). However the quality would be questionable, I'm sure. What I want is a software program (program A) that looks like a web cam to any other software program (program B), but all program A does is capture the computer's video and feed it out to program B. Program B thinks program A is a std. web/video cam. It's not, but program B doesn't know that and doesn't care - it's still getting a video feed and that's all it cares about. But in this case, it's coming from program A and it's the video from your computer's screen. This would help when doing *live* broadcasts of a user group meeting. The video could also be recorded for playback later, but my interest is a live video feed (recording and playing it back later is fine, too, but I want both). If you know where I could find that, then that would be very helpful and I'd be very appreciative. Thanks again.

Collapse -
by B123456H / November 15, 2008 6:06 AM PST
In reply to: Take a look

so you need to share a desktop remotely (you should have said that at the beginning) The techies understand now

check out this-

Collapse -
by rcampbell12 / November 15, 2008 6:19 AM PST
In reply to: oh

No, that's not it, either. I am a techie and I know there are options to do that. However, you can't share your desktop with 4 or 5 or 15 or more people without something like WebX, but they charge and I am in need of a free solution. The link you With or the camstreams site you posted, I can stream my video to a web site and then many people can view it live for free. TeamViewer is free, but it is also limited to one person viewing. So, again, I appreciate your perserverance, but we're still not hitting the nail on the head.

Collapse -
got it
by B123456H / November 15, 2008 6:30 AM PST
In reply to: No
Collapse -
Got it
by rcampbell12 / November 15, 2008 6:44 AM PST
In reply to: got it

You da man, B123456H (or is it WOman). I was not aware of that service. The others I've seen are charging. I talked to WebX about this and asked if they had a free offering for a once-a-month users group meeting (seems like it'd be a good opportunity to show off their offerings). Nope, pay or don't use WebX! I started focusing on what I was asking about, thinking a live stream would do it (which it would) and thinking someone would have developed the software I was searching for (I bet it exists somewhere), but I guess I should have just looked harder for a WebX competitor that was free. Thanks again.

Collapse -
by B123456H / November 15, 2008 7:11 AM PST
In reply to: Got it

you're welcome!

i'm glad i found something that worked

all i did was google this- free alternatives to WebX

And yes you had it right the first time (i'm a guy)

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.