Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Screen saver won't stay on

by djr1904 / January 21, 2005 9:24 PM PST

I used to have my power management settings so that the screen saver came on after five minutes, the monitor shut down after 10, and the computer went to sleep after 15. But lately my screen saver suddenly turns off after a couple of minutes, showing an active monitor again. Because of this, my PC can never progress through the monitor shutting down to the sleep function without manual intervention.

My guess is that there is some sort of process that's shutting down the screen saver, but I have no idea what it is. This happens when I'm running lots of programs (IE, Word, Excel) or literally nothing at all.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Screen saver won't stay on
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Screen saver won't stay on
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Screen saver won't stay on
by Cetin Denislam / January 22, 2005 11:49 PM PST

Restart PC and goto Safe Mode. See if the screen saver exit there or you reach the display off point.

How do you connect to the Internet ? By chance, are you using a network card (or integrated on motherboard).

Good Luck,

Cetin

Trying to unweave, unwind, unravel
And piece together the past and the future,

T. S. Eliot

Collapse -
Me too...me too...me too
by Arimanio / February 10, 2005 12:05 PM PST

I am having the same issue. I have an integrated lan adapter on my motherboard. It's an Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe. I have already checked for WOL and it's disabled. Any ideas would be helpful. Someone once suggested it might be spyware or some sort of malware but I don't think that's it. I run Adaware, Spybot S&D and Spywareblaster. I am completely confuddled. I also thought maybe it had something to do with my MS Wireless Optical Mouse or Wireless Keyboard. Perhaps I'll try plugging in a standard keyboard and mouse for a day..

Any insight would be appreciated..thanks.

Collapse -
Si Mi ? Si Mi ? Si Mi ?La ? r . Similar ?
by Cetin Denislam / February 10, 2005 10:56 PM PST

FYI, WOL functionality is related with the PC in Standby or Hibernate.

Changing temporarily the wireless combo it's a good test. I remember someone who used such a combo and noted a strange phenomenon. When he was typing let's say in Notepad, the text was displaying in Notepad on a second PC too. The mystery was solved by thinking of channels.

In addition, open the Try Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware (Beta) thread where you'll find the link. Download, Run and post a report in that thread what pests it founded.

Good Luck,

Cetin

T. S. Eliot

Collapse -
Well I found my issue...
by Arimanio / February 18, 2005 2:09 PM PST

Ok...

I figured it out. I was right to swap out the wireless mouse and keyboard...I have a wireless router and I just added an increased gain anteanna set on it and I think it might have been interfering with the keyboard/mouse receiver. I have been able to keep the screen saver up for indefinite periods of time...

Thank you for the assistance, Cetin.

Collapse -
Well done and Thanks for the Feedback ...
by Cetin Denislam / February 18, 2005 10:18 PM PST

... more than that, You?re one of the rare posters who can make the difference between input and assistence. In the latter case, someone is always in your shadow for a resolution.

Thanks for the Feedback Arimanio,

Cetin

T. S. Eliot

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.