Windows Vista

General discussion

Screen Print button not working............

by ladypene / April 25, 2010 5:19 PM PDT

I have a Microsoft wireless keyboard and the screen print button is not working again!! This happened once before and I fixed it but I can't remember what I did. Can anyone help please?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Screen Print button not working............
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Screen Print button not working............
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What do you expect to happen?
by Kees Bakker / April 25, 2010 5:24 PM PDT

And what happens in stead?

Does it work if you press varying combinations of shift and alt together with the print screen key?

Kees

Collapse -
I expect
by ladypene / April 25, 2010 6:00 PM PDT

To be able to paste the screen print into paint so I can save the image. I have tried all the other combinations but nothing is working.

Collapse -
Try...
by Papa Echo / April 26, 2010 12:52 AM PDT
In reply to: I expect

....running that app [which opens whatever you want captured] in compatible mode [ e.g. XP]....

Collapse -
I had this issue on Vista.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 25, 2010 10:04 PM PDT

To get around it I found that I could not have focus on a particular app I needed to get a screen shot of (the print screen button). It was just this one app so I arranged the screen with any other app having focus and then it worked fine. This was an anomaly with that app so I learned to get by and get the job done. I can imagine how long it would have taken if I had asked that app's author to fix that.

There is some utility that Microsoft (MSFT) supplied with that keyboard called Intellikey. I don't use it but you might want to explore it.
Bob

Collapse -
Thanks but..........
by ladypene / April 26, 2010 8:02 AM PDT

None of that helped. I'm not sure what app. other than Paint I can open the screen shot into?
The solution last time was to hold down the screen print key while pressing another key.......I just can't remember what key(s) it was. I was hoping someone here knew.

Collapse -
Re: printscreen
by Kees Bakker / April 26, 2010 5:04 PM PDT
In reply to: Thanks but..........

It might be something special with your keyboard. It should work, that's all I can say.

Now try one of those utilities that offer even more than the print screen key. The one from http://www.gadwin.com/printscreen/ is free for personal use and I read some positive reviews on it.

Kees

Collapse -
I downloaded that application........
by ladypene / April 26, 2010 5:44 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: printscreen

But I think you have to be very computer savy to get an image in there from a screen print. LOL
Of COURSE it has something to do with my keyboard......and if I knew what it was I wouldn't be having a problem LOL
It's a top of the line wireless gaming keyboard too.

Collapse -
Wireless keyboard.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / April 26, 2010 8:31 PM PDT

Just to eliminate possible causes, try these;

1] Is this wireless keyboard battery driven? If so, replace the batteries. It may be that while the batteries are still able to power much of the keyboard, some keys may fail. Slim, but this is an elimination test.

2] Is this wireless keyboard transmitting to some wireless receiver? (I have a Belkin wireless keyboard and mouse, and have a small transmitter connected by wire to the computer). If so, make sure nothing is blocking the signals.

3] Similar to 2. Do you use a landline telephone that has portable wireless handsets? If so, is there a handset near either the keyboard or the receiver, (if there is one)? If so, take it away. Some wireless handsets operate on a similar frequency to wireless keyboards.

4] Remove that wireless keyboard and attach a PS2 or USB keyboard and test.

5] Try that wireless keyboard set up on another system.

These may be minor suggestions, but as I have said, this is an elimination test, and in those we try all sorts.

Mark

Collapse -
Thanks Mark
by ladypene / April 27, 2010 5:38 PM PDT
In reply to: Wireless keyboard.

I tried all of the above before I came here to ask for help.

I tried Microsoft online but the won't recognise my product number........ ringing the 0800 number was a waste of time too.

Back to the drawing board.

Collapse -
Print Screen key
by joser92 / May 2, 2010 2:16 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks Mark

For some keyboards, if you accidentally toggled the Print Screen key OFF with a Fn key, press CTRL+NumLock to turn the Print Screen key ON.

Collapse -
Re: top of the line wireless gaming keyboard
by ChuckT / May 2, 2010 7:53 AM PDT

That might be your problem. You are not saying which top-of-the-line wireless gaming keyboard you have, but I have a "top-of-the-line" keyboard that costs as much as many whole computers, ($$!) and there are special modes that I could get into that alter the actions of what nearly all the keys do.

First, most of those special modes are only implemented, or even accessible, by you first installing the manufacturer's special keyboard driver software.

Second, you do not need any manufacturer's special keyboard driver to have the keyboard do the typical "I would expect" keyboard functions. Those functions are things like: typing any of the alphabetical characters, any of the numerical keys, using any of the F1 through F12 keys, or using the PrtScrn key, and a few others as well.

so...
If you have installed some manufacturer's special keyboard driver software, just remove it and see if the PrtScrn key then acts like it is supposed to.

If that works, and I think it will, it just proves that the manufacturer's special keyboard driver software is either not working properly OR that you are getting into one of those modes that changes the PrtScrn key to do something else.

I would put my money on that last point.

Good luck.

Collapse -
Thank you
by ladypene / May 2, 2010 4:56 PM PDT

For the feedback everyone but no-one has been able to help so far Sad

Collapse -
The final help.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 2, 2010 10:26 PM PDT
In reply to: Thank you

Since no one, including the maker can't answer this, it's time to call the product defective. Maybe it works but if support and others can't help you, the product is not ready for market.

Pack it up and return it. Yes, if this is some software setting that you can control, that would be a nice fix but look at all the replies and the lack of product support. It's a sign, not a good one.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.