Windows Legacy OS

General discussion

SCREEN NOT FULL SIZE WHEN GOING TO NEXT SCREEN

by noru2 / June 28, 2004 12:02 PM PDT

I have win XP Home and somewhere the next screens quit being full size. I tried the trick used in WIN me of stretching the corners of the screen to make it full size, but the next time it does not come up full size. I don't believe it did this when I first started using WIN XP, but with many program additions, it just started to happen. My PC is a COMPAQ with 2.5 Celeron. PC is only 4 months old.

Very infrequently, when the PC boots, the screen is less than full size, but most of time is full screen.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: SCREEN NOT FULL SIZE WHEN GOING TO NEXT SCREEN
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: SCREEN NOT FULL SIZE WHEN GOING TO NEXT SCREEN
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: SCREEN NOT FULL SIZE WHEN GOING TO NEXT SCREEN
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 28, 2004 12:12 PM PDT

Mozilla does this trick with ease. You should try that and Firefox to see which one you like.

In closing, I'm guessing you are complaing about that missing feature in Internet Explorer.

Bob

Collapse -
by noru2 / June 29, 2004 1:08 AM PDT

Thanks for the reply. Well, I am complaining about something, maybe it is about Internet Explorer. It seems that all Microsoft Software does more for business and customer, with all their hidden ways to get information, than they do for the software user.

Norman Ince

Collapse -
downloading Firefox and IE9
by arthurasa / March 27, 2011 9:51 AM PDT

I can't download Firefox...I get an error message every time..and the same applies to Internet Explorer. I use Gmail all the time (and yahoo) and have problems with not getting full screens. So I have to click on maximize screen all the time. I use Chrome. What do I do with Chrome to solve my screen maximization problems. Or is it something else?

Thanks for your help.

I have Windows 7 64 bit Home superior (or something like that). Avira anti-virus.

Collapse -
From another discussion, quote.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 27, 2011 10:08 AM PDT

"If you were running windows, all you would need to do is right click on the Chrome icon, select Properties > Shortcut tab > Run: Maximized"

Collapse -
by Tufenuf / June 28, 2004 11:06 PM PDT

noru2, Follow the instructions below exactly and your problem should be solved.
Right click the shortcut icon for IE next to the Start button, choose Properties, change it from 'normal' to 'maximized'. Now open it.
Now right click any link on the page, choose Open In New Window....don't maximize it....instead, use the mouse to resize it to what you want it to be.
Now close the FIRST window you opened, and then close the new one you just resized.

Reopen IE from the shortcut icon again, and all windows from now on will be the size you chose and created.

HTH
Tufenuf

Collapse -
by noru2 / June 29, 2004 1:33 AM PDT

Tufenuf,

Thanks a million for the reply. Followed your instructions exactly, and although haven't checked past the 1st link, the second page comes up full size like it should. Thanks again.

Wonder if you might know the other problem I have. On several programs that require inputs, such as Genealogy, etc., the field that I want to use has no cursor in it even though I click that field. If I type in one character, the character appears and the cursor is on the end of it.

Norman Ince

Collapse -
Full size window
by sgarrison / September 11, 2008 3:06 PM PDT

Thank you so much for the solution... this has drove me nuts ever since I first got winxp... my win98 always opened max...
Your instructions were very easy to follow too... thank-you, thank-you, thank-you

Collapse -
by mightydog / April 14, 2005 11:44 PM PDT

I tried your fix for I/E, and did not have any success. I know there is a fix for it, but just can't recall what it was. If anyone out there knows of another fix for I/E please let us know. Thanks.

Collapse -
Should work fine.
by Cursorcowboy / April 14, 2005 11:57 PM PDT
Tell the exact procedure and how you following the instructions given by that member please.
Collapse -
Resizing works. Thanks HTH!
by DH1 / April 15, 2005 9:50 AM PDT

I've wondered the same thing nora asked.

I followed HTH's instructions. At first, a new window would open full-size but when opening a link in a new window (right click) it would NOT be full-sized.

I repeated the instructions given and now -- all is well. (We, who are getting older, need our windows big! LOL)

Thanks again.

Collapse -
Full Size Screen Fix
by pldeboer / June 14, 2009 6:28 AM PDT

You Rock! Only thing that has evey worked!! This has irritated me forever (it seems anyway).

Thank a bunch!

Collapse -
WORKED PERFECTLY IN WINDOWS 7
by slk23072 / April 11, 2012 2:05 AM PDT

Thank you ever so much. It worked perfectly and solved a problem that annoyed me for years.

Alan

Collapse -
How to go full screen on my laptop?
by gokalp2003 / August 29, 2010 7:19 PM PDT

my laptop is having window vista home prmum. Instead of fullscreen - now it cover about 80percent. with1024x768 resolusion 32 bit. what do i need to do to have original full screen 19" on sony vaio laptop?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.