Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Screen message "Press ESC to exit Full Screen" Stays on

by DANNY101 / October 17, 2009 6:57 PM PDT

I have searched for some weeks now and have seen an increase in people who also found that while viewing in the Full Screen option on You Tube and/or Hulu.com that the "Press Esc to Exit Full Screen" message that appears in the center of the screen does Not fade away after a few seconds. Of course that makes Full Screen viewing unacceptable. I posed the question to the site itself and have never received a reply. One general forum said something about Unlocking certain Files (Adobe) that were found locked because of cookie handling upon installation, but as a novice that is beyond my comprehension.
In any case, is anyone aware of a fix for this problem? (That message is not suppose to stay there) I am using Win XP IE8. I tried viewing using the Firefox Browser (3.5.2) and it did not help.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Screen message "Press ESC to exit Full Screen" Stays on
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Screen message "Press ESC to exit Full Screen" Stays on
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
A google on this and 2 clicks found this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 17, 2009 11:11 PM PDT
Collapse -
Esc message Video problem
by DANNY101 / October 18, 2009 6:38 AM PDT

Thank You R.P. I searched Google,Bing,Ask and others and the closest I got mentioned an unlock issue without further info. When I went back to Youtube (just now) to duplicate the problem, the message faded out. That was before the install of the fix. I can't explain that. When it occurs again I will apply the fix and post back here.
Thanks again, others will find this very helpful!

Collapse -
I think I've figured it out...
by pagekaren / November 17, 2012 10:27 AM PST

I was so frustrated at this because "press esc to exit full screen mode" only stays on if I leave full screen mode - implying that I know how to get in and out of it. Seemed backward to me so I played around a lot and noticed that it only stays on the screen if you enter full screen mode AFTER the commercials are over. It seems to be hulu's way of fighting back, if you don't watch commercials in full screen mode then they interrupt your view of the next segment of your show/ movie. Really sucks. I guess they have to prove/ make every effort to ensure you watch commercials to justify (squeeze as much as possible) ad money.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.