Samsung forum

Question

Screen Goes Out: Samsung DLP/LED HLT5687sx

by JDudor / November 11, 2012 8:43 AM PST

Hello. I have a Samsung DLP LED TV, model HLT5687sx. I have been experiencing issues with the screen going out. Specifically, sometimes the screen just completely goes black. When this happens, none of the lights in the front flash or blink. When it's running normally, none of the lights in the front are flashing either. I'll turn the TV off and sometimes the picture goes on fine for a minute then goes out again. Sometimes it will run fine for the rest of the night, only to have the same issue happen again the next day. Some days are worse than others. I'll turn the tv on and off 4 to 6 times until the video stays on for the rest of the night. Also, sometimes when I turn the tv on, instead of the picture going completely out, I'll get red and green static. Sometimes it's more red, sometimes more green. I've looked up multiple forums and it appears there is no bulb to replace on this tv. I also opened the back panel area and there is no clear bulb or light source to be replaced (unless it's behind all the circuitry). I really want to avoid paying $500+ only to find out it's not worth repairing. I can't find people with similar issues so I am lost as to what may need to be replaced. Any help would be great!

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Screen Goes Out: Samsung DLP/LED HLT5687sx
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Screen Goes Out: Samsung DLP/LED HLT5687sx
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
How long since a tech cleaned it?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 11, 2012 8:47 AM PST

Sounds like the usual heat issues. Diagnosis fees in my town are 80 bucks, 500 is for a new TV.
Bob

Collapse -
Thanks, but not sure that's issue
by JDudor / November 11, 2012 9:08 AM PST

Thanks for the reply, but I'm not sure it has to do with heat. I've had the TV for about 4-5 years and this just started about a week ago. Also, once the TV stays on, it's fine for the rest of the day.

Collapse -
That's a different symptom.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 11, 2012 2:17 PM PST

Only a tech can diagnose if that's the old BAD CAPS issue, that's a symptom. I think it's worth fixing but until it's diagnosed I'd remove it from service and power.

Remember to see if that unit is on this list.
http://www.samsung.com/us/capacitorsettlement/

Bob

Collapse -
Thank You
by JDudor / November 13, 2012 9:02 AM PST

Thank you for the information and taking the time to answer! My TV falls under the class action. Hopefully that will address the issue.

Collapse -
My screen goes out also
by tom1l / March 27, 2015 7:57 AM PDT
In reply to: Thank You

Hi, I have the same problem with my HLT5687sx. It has gotten progressively worse. It used to stay on after letting it warm up with only sound playing and the screen out and then it would be normal all day. No error leds or sounds. Just picture out with sound OK. Can you tell me if and what the tech replaced in order to fix your set? I have already replaced the DMD board with no change in symptoms, I followed the troubleshooting flow chart in the service manual but it was wrong. I have replaced all the small caps on the main power supply board and the sub-power supply board. All of the caps checked ok with a capacitor checker. There are 2 bigger caps on the main supply that I pulled and checked but did not replace. It is next to impossible to check DC voltages on the main supply because of its location and it needs to be hooked up to function. Well I know this thread is old but maybe one of you guys can help me. Thanks Tom.

Collapse -
Sadly.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 27, 2015 8:26 AM PDT

When the symptom starts we remove the power since continued use can damage more boards. The issue is visible on the caps so you swap those boards. The plague hit millions of PCs, TVs and other things. Any tech will know to inspect for this. Sadly, using it until it's dead can result in a higher repair bill.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.