Samsung

General discussion

Screen goes black for 2-3 seconds

by Sandersito / January 26, 2010 2:54 AM PST

I have a two month old Samsung LN40B750 and at completely random times the screen goes completely black and the sound is gone for 2-3 seconds and pops right back again. It will do it sometimes none or 2-3 times in a 4 hour period of watching tv. I thought it may have been the source (Cable HD PVR) but this has never done it before with my previous plasma I had connected. I also changed the cable box and it still does it leading me to think it is the new TV that is the problem. Any ideas?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Screen goes black for 2-3 seconds
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Screen goes black for 2-3 seconds
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 26, 2010 3:45 AM PST

Sandersito,

I'm sorry to hear that you're having this problem.

How did you connect both televisions? With HDMI, or component cables?

Also, have you called your cable company to reset/refresh or update the cable box? Often times, updates are available that address these concerns.

Keep me posted.

--HDTech

Collapse -
My LCD is connected via HDMI
by Sandersito / January 26, 2010 5:41 AM PST

Thanks for your reply. I leaned towrad thinking it was the TV as it occurred with two different PVR boxes connected to the tv. Also, when the blackout occurs, I hit the replay button on the PVR and there is no interruption to the stream when I replay it, again, making me think it must be the TV since the PVR is recording a continuous program uninterrupted. I have also tried using various inputs on the TV and same result no matter which HDMI input I use. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Collapse -
Updates
by ctsv510 / April 30, 2010 11:55 PM PDT

Did you ever get this fixed? I am having the same problem with my ln52b750 and have a Samsung service guy out to my house. He replaced the motherboard and power supply but today I am still having the problem.

Collapse -
Same issue
by SteveMac999 / May 1, 2010 12:54 AM PDT
In reply to: Updates

I have the same issue with my Samsung DVD player HT-TZ422N.
The screen just goes blank for a second in the middle of a movie. It never happens when I'm watching TV just a DVD. I have all top notch HDMI cables also.

Collapse -
same problem with new Samsung 55 inch 3D, 7000 series tv
by rolling9 / November 28, 2010 10:54 AM PST

Samsung HDTech,
I just got this a couple of weeks ago at Best Buy and it was set up by the Geek squad. The TV goes blank for several seconds while watching cable, DVR shows and streaming video. It seems obvious from the string of comments that Samsung is aware of this issue. Has anything been done to fix it?

Collapse -
same problem with new Samsung 55 inch 3D, 7000 series tv
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / November 29, 2010 5:43 AM PST

rolling9,

Most of the issues that I've seen "fixed" are by repowering, updating or replacing the cable/sat box or replacing the HDMI cable. If it's not, then the unit should be serviced.

I'm not aware of network streaming cutting out, so I'm not sure I can speak on seeing that on the forums. Typically those would be a network related, or encoding issue. What streaming is causing this? (File types, Netflix, Vudu, etc?)

--HDTech

Collapse -
Brand new PN63C8000 same problem
by irked2 / December 29, 2010 7:18 AM PST

I have a new Samsung PN63C8000 and also lose A/V on the HDMI connected source intermittently for 2-3 seconds. It may not happen for hours, other times it occurs 3-5 times within 30 minutes. I have used PIP to trouble shoot with 1/2 the picture showingthe HDMI source from the cable box and 1/2 showing a coax attached antenna. I only lose the HDMI source... So it appears to be HDMI related. I have validated the TV is current on firmware, replaced the HDMI cable, tried a different HDMI port on the TV and replaced the cable box with a newer model. Symptoms are the same. Any thoughts on how I should proceed to get this resolved? I really think it might be bug in the HDCP handshake protocol. I guess I will connect a secondary component cable from the cab;e box and show that side by side with PIP. downgrading to component cable IS NOT an acceptable solution. for a brand new 3D TV.

Collapse -
Samsung LN46B650 screen and audio
by jeffvs / June 5, 2010 5:56 AM PDT

I have had a Samsung LN46B650 for about 5 months. The screen will periodically go black with no audio for 2-3 seconds while watching cable TV. Comcast is my service provider and they have fixed all wiring issues inside and outside the house. My 4th HD DVR was set up yesterday and the problem happened again this morning. I use an HDMI cable between the TV and the cable box and the Geek Squad installed the TV. I don't think it's a cable TV issue anymore. I would be happy to share other info in pursuit of a solution.

Collapse -
Fix for screen and audio problem?
by jeffvs / June 9, 2010 7:35 AM PDT

The Geek Squad came here today and the tech said that he is called out at least 6 times a week because of this exact issue. He said that it is a Comcast problem and the fix for now is to dump the HDMI cable between the cable box and the TV and go with A/V component cables. Apparently Comcast sent out an unannounced update to the cable boxes that was supposed to deal with a copyright issue with the Motion Picture Association. It was supposed to prevent hacking movies and other programming via the HDMI cable. A/V component cables are being installed later today by the Geek Squad. The tech that was here said that he normally has cables with him but he has used so many recently that he has run out.

Collapse -
by fogey0 / June 9, 2010 11:54 AM PDT

Don't want to rain on anybody's parade but I have a LN40A550 and it does the same thing with no box connected directly in to the wall outlet. Probably another Samsung TV debacle.

Collapse -
Problem resolved (?)
by jeffvs / June 10, 2010 3:27 AM PDT

Hi fogey0,
You have one of the A series TV's and I have a B. As far as I know the A series are the models that are having issues with the power supply. I was told by the tech that came to my house that anyone who is having problems should continue to pursue Samsung for a fix. He said that even TV's that are out of warranty are being repaired for free. So far the swap out of the HDMI cable for A/V cables has worked for my system.

Collapse -
Screen goes blank and no sound for 2-3 seconds UN46C6300SF
by jokuz / August 25, 2010 1:18 AM PDT

After reading this post I am totally disgusted and confused. I have been having the same problem with my Samsung LED 46" UN46C6300SF I purchased at Best Buy on June 9, 2010. Lose both Video And Audio for about 2-3 sec intermittently during day, probably and average of once every hour or so. This has been going on for 2-3 weeks. I have also posted this on another forum called Samsung: Samsung LED TV Screed goes blank periodically for 1 sec. Hopefully between the 2 I might get a good answer. I am going thru a Motorola/Comcast DCX 3400 STB. After reading all these posts can't figure out if its Samsung or Comcast. I did get the Black Tie protection from Best Buy which might help. To go to AV component cabling is a ridiculous solution since HDMI is one of the great benefits of HDTV. Any more info would be greatly appreciated.

Collapse -
A/V or HDMI
by jeffvs / August 25, 2010 2:51 AM PDT

Hi jokuz,
I thought the same thing about the HDMI cables but I haven't noticed much if any difference after the cable switch out. The A/V cables are still working fine. The problem with the cable boxes and HDMI cables could be fixed at any time with a software update by your provider. They just have to get it done.

Collapse -
screen goes blank and no sound for 5 seconds
by rolling9 / November 28, 2010 10:42 AM PST
In reply to: A/V or HDMI

Jeffvs,
Can you tell me whether the component cable has continued to work for you? Are you aware of any real fix for this?

Collapse -
Working fine
by jeffvs / November 29, 2010 12:23 AM PST

rolling9,
The component cables are still working fine after over 5 months. I have excellent audio and video with no interuptions. I haven't pursued any other fix because of that. Good luck!

Collapse -
A resolution that worked for me/my friend
by benjohmel / October 3, 2014 2:00 AM PDT

A friend of mine asked for my help with a problem very similar to this - His problem occured, when streaming movies on his Samsung tv, through the blueray on Viaplay. Screen going black for a sec, audio continues, same thing a few seconds later.

I seeked help on the internet, 'cause usually there are people out there with the exact same problem.

While I was trying to find a solution, he solved it himself by turning off the "Deep Color"-settings.
We couldn't quite figure out why this helped, but it did.

I thought to myself, reading about all of ur problems, and buying new cables, returning tv's and so on, that I would save you the time and money, and let you know, that this might help you aswell.

Regards

Benjamin

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.