Laptops forum

General discussion

Screen flickers, has stripes and wild colors - help

by CLaBash / March 5, 2009 2:39 AM PST

After repairs, this Toshiba Satellite Pro 6100 worked fine for months. I took it on a trip in my carry-on luggage and the video display has gone bonkers. The resolution is stuck on 640x480, but worse than that is the flickering and the stripes.

The OS is XP Pro SP-2.

I have searched the web for troubleshooting ideas or possible solutions. One possibility was that the video card connection is loose.

The control panel says the video card is operating normally.

Can you point me in the right direction?

Thank you.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Screen flickers, has stripes and wild colors - help
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Screen flickers, has stripes and wild colors - help
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
When I see that I....
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 5, 2009 2:47 AM PST

I reach for my Ubuntu LiveCD so I can boot that (we're not installing it) and test if the machine seems ok with a LiveCD.

What I do next depends on the test results.
Bob

Collapse -
Ubuntu w/XP Pro?
by CLaBash / March 5, 2009 3:46 AM PST
In reply to: When I see that I....

Can I use an Ubuntu disk w/XP Pro? If so, is a Live CD downloadable?

Collapse -
What is that?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 5, 2009 4:02 AM PST
In reply to: Ubuntu w/XP Pro?

Please explain what "an Ubuntu disk w/XP Pro?" is.

Yes you can download Ubuntu for free. I think you would google that.
Bob

Collapse -
Ubuntu w/XP pro
by CLaBash / March 5, 2009 4:06 AM PST
In reply to: What is that?

Sorry for the short hand ... what i meant to ask is this. The operating system on my computer is Windows XP Pro. Can I use the Ubuntu disk you suggested on the operating system on my computer? Ubuntu is Linux. That is why I am asking.

Thank you for your quick response. I apologize again for the shorthand.

Collapse -
Remember this is a LiveCD
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 5, 2009 4:18 AM PST
In reply to: Ubuntu w/XP pro

It doesn't care what OS is on the hard disk. LiveCDs run on their own and this is why it's such a powerful test tool. We can test the machine without touching one data bit on the hard disk.

Hope this clears that up.

As to Linux, we don't have to know it's Linux. Read http://tips.oncomputers.info/archives2004/0401/2004-Jan-11.htm
That was 5 years ago and today, it's even better.
Bob

Collapse -
Ubuntu LiveCD -
by CLaBash / March 5, 2009 6:56 AM PST

The Ubuntu LiveCD is very cool and good to know, but it does not really help (at least not yet).

My sick computer boots with Windows XP. The screen now has very classy vertical pin stripes! I checked nvidia and toshiba's websites for upgraded drivers (my current one is the newest) and will continue searching for a solution - its too old to spend more money on at the repair shop. I want to try it myself, but need a little help on where to start.

Collapse -
Then we are off to the service shop.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 5, 2009 7:29 AM PST
In reply to: Ubuntu LiveCD -

The Linux LiveCD is our DIAGNOSTIC to see if the video card or rather motherboard is good or bad.

You've passed up my best diagnostic and headed right to a service counter.

Good luck, I hope they don't charge you too much.
Bob

Collapse -
Are you a little slow...
by 1shado1 / March 5, 2009 7:41 AM PST
In reply to: Ubuntu LiveCD -

...on the uptake? The idea is to use the ubuntu cd to boot to, bypassing Windows completely. I know zilch about computers, but my guess is to determine whether it is an OS issue, or a hardware issue.

You ask for help, an expert like Bob responds, and you just blow off his advice.

Some people's kids...

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.