Computer Help

Resolved Question

Screen Flickers

by southsixth / January 4, 2013 1:39 AM PST

Hello. I am a computer novice.

I just purchased a Gateway LT4010u netbook. Seems to be working great. Except for one thing. When I watch movies on netflix, the top 1/4 of the screen intermittently flickers when the camera angle of the movie changes. It's as if it's lagging .5 second or something. This only happens at the top of the screen.

I'm wondering:
Did I get a bum system?
Is there an issue with the video card?
Is this all I can expect from this computer?

Thank you.

Specs:
• Intel Atom N2600 processor
1.60GHz, 1MB L2 Cache
• 1GB DDR3 SDRAM system memory
Allows you to do the computer basics of web surfing, emails and documents
• 320GB SATA hard drive
Store 213,000 photos, 91,000 songs or 168 hours of HD video and more
• 10/100 Fast Ethernet, 802.11b/g/n Wireless LAN
Connect to a broadband modem with wired Ethernet or wirelessly connect to a WiFi signal or hotspot with the 802.11b/g/n connection built into your PC
• 10.1" WSVGA LED-backlit display
Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3600 with 64MB onboard memory supporting Microsoft DirectX 9

southsixth has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer »
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Screen Flickers
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Screen Flickers
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer as chosen by southsixth

Collapse -
I have the LT4004 and it's just a netbook.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 4, 2013 1:43 AM PST
In reply to: Screen Flickers

It's just a netbook and it will indeed do what you noted. Not that it's bad, it's just a netbook.

Try this. Disable Flash Hardware acceleration (google how to do that) and see if the video clears up but lag and delay on these are legendary.

Why didn't you get a laptop?
Bob

Collapse -
What about more RAM?
by southsixth / January 4, 2013 2:44 AM PST

Thanks for your reply.

I wanted a portable system that I could use to for word processing and streaming videos. I dont love Windows 8, which eliminated most other options in my price range. Maybe I should just bite the bullet and get something with W8...

If I do that, should I be looking for a better processor, video card, or more RAM?

Do you think upgrading to 2GB RAM will help? Or is that just for running multiple processes?

Jen

Collapse -
Iffy.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 4, 2013 2:48 AM PST
In reply to: What about more RAM?

The video system and CPU is likely to be the cause of this so I'd try the setting I offered first.

My netbook has more ram and it didn't do diddly for full screen video play.
Bob

Collapse -
What about 8?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 4, 2013 2:49 AM PST
In reply to: What about more RAM?

I see plenty of Windows 7 laptops on amazon.com and other places. In the stores is where Microsoft had them drink the kool aid.
Bob

Collapse -
Thanks
by southsixth / January 4, 2013 3:20 AM PST
In reply to: What about 8?
Happy
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Magazine

The summer issue is here!

In the latest edition of our quarterly magazine, we look at how you can spend your summer getting fit and having fun. Pick up a copy on newsstands today or order it now.