Windows Vista forum

General discussion

screen/display flashes or blinks intermittantly

by cjjames10 / January 24, 2008 2:20 PM PST

Intermittent blinking or flashlight of screen (display) in any mode. Whether it be in an Office program or scrolling down a page in Firefox, the screen will flash on and off at different rates or go completely black. It will happen randomly as in after a few re-starts it seems to go away. In fact as I?m entering this post, it hasn?t flashes or blinked in two hours.
As for specs: I?ve updated the graphic card (ATI Radeon HD 2400 pro) with the latest updates and drivers. Fan is running and doesn?t seem to be a heat issue
I have a HP Pav a6150e, AMD 64X2 Dual Core 4K+ 2.1GHz, 2Gb ram, MS Vista, Home Premium 32-bit
I read about updating the drivers for the BIOS, though I do not know how to do this.
Any ideas on what is causing this?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: screen/display flashes or blinks intermittantly
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: screen/display flashes or blinks intermittantly
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Call it in before the warranty is over.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 25, 2008 1:41 AM PST
Collapse -
screen/display flashes or blinks intermittantly
by cjjames10 / January 26, 2008 1:29 PM PST

Bob,

thanks for the reply. My monitor (HP w2007) is new (along with the tower) and does not seem to be the issue as it functions properly on another system. Any other ideas?

Collapse -
Lodge the complaint today.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 27, 2008 3:32 AM PST

Don't delay. Every day that passes is letting me off the hook.

Collapse -
blinking display
by cjjames10 / January 29, 2008 4:27 AM PST

The issue with intermittent blinking are still occurring.
Here is what I have done thus far (though not in this order)
Updated the bios
Disabled ?TMM?
Switched from Aero to basic
Updated drivers and updates from ATI
Ensured that intergrated nvidia driver is disabled
Tested LCD monitor (HP v2007) on another computer with XP from several re-starts and from stand-by and hibernation with no issues with the monitor blinking
Radeon card has fan running and does not seem to get to hot
Cable connections are secure

Collapse -
Updated drivers and updates from ATI
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 29, 2008 4:36 AM PST
In reply to: blinking display

I wonder if the ATI settings are too close to the monitor's capabilities. I ran into some owner that read the display worked up to 120Hz at 1024x768 (old thing) and that's what they set it to. Every once in awhile it would blink out and they'd have to reboot.

Moving it down to 72Hz made all the difference in the world. Try pulling down some number like that. Sadly I see little about your settings but your posts do point at a video card or setting failure.

Bob

Collapse -
blinking screen
by cjjames10 / January 29, 2008 5:02 AM PST

monitor is set at:
1680 by 1050 pixels; colors highest 32 bit; refresh rate 59 Hz and I tried 60 Hz and still have the same problem. dropped to 1440 by 900 pixels and still have the blinking problem.

Collapse -
So what works are other PCs and display cards?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 29, 2008 6:42 AM PST
In reply to: blinking screen

I think you are getting close to what's failing for you.

Collapse -
Had same problem
by rvoll / January 29, 2008 9:07 AM PST
In reply to: blinking screen

I had the same problem. I changed from a digital connection to an analog connection and the blinking disappeared. I also have an ATI card and think there is a conflict between the card and the monitor.

Collapse -
flickering video
by leonavas / February 19, 2008 4:54 AM PST
In reply to: Had same problem
Collapse -
flickering video
by rvoll / February 19, 2008 8:20 AM PST
In reply to: flickering video

Thanks.... It worked....

Collapse -
did you get this resloved?
by davo007007 / April 1, 2008 6:24 PM PDT
In reply to: blinking display

My notebook is having the same problems...flashing windows no matter the program or application. Did you manage to fix it?

Collapse -
Blinking screen
by squishiimp / November 10, 2010 1:26 AM PST

I have a Toshiba laptop and this just started happening to my computer. Yesterday I took my laptop to campus... Could it be a power shortage? or Someonthign was damaged internally in transport?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.