Android forum

Screen broken...Can I get my data?

by tech_ninja_81 / April 9, 2012 6:13 AM PDT

My phone was crunched in a motorcycle accident. It still powers on, because you can hear the start up and notification sounds. But you cant tell it to connect to the PC sans screen.

Any ideas how I can get connected in USB mass storage mode without the screen? Any PC apps that can dig in to the phone? I really just want my pictures...

Phone is a Samsung Captivate, non rooted.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Screen broken...Can I get my data?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Screen broken...Can I get my data?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Did you ask at the store?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 9, 2012 7:40 AM PDT

Some stores have a machine that transfers settings and more without the screen being touched. This device is too expensive for you or I to have.

Also, did you put in a memory card? I have it use that so I can pull the card in such an event.

Collapse -
No such luck
by tech_ninja_81 / April 9, 2012 10:09 AM PDT

The store was able to transfer contacts, but that was useless because I have them synced with my google account. That was all.

There has to be a way to "brute force" into the device...

Of course I can replace the screen, get my stuff off, and sell the phone for what the screen cost.

Collapse -
No luck as in you didn't use the SD card?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 9, 2012 10:47 AM PDT
In reply to: No such luck

Sorry to read this but it's one way to learn about backups.

All Answers

Collapse -
I wonder if this product can help you
by someone3974 / April 11, 2012 6:36 PM PDT

Have you tried this Android PC manager called Moborobo, all you need to do is connect your device to the pc and you can get all your files from your mobile. The link is see if it works for you.

Collapse -
by punditje / November 22, 2012 9:34 AM PST

works like a charm! hooray for moborobo!

Collapse -
by stakzondek / January 13, 2014 10:02 AM PST
In reply to: works!

Did u get all your data back from your tablet? Like apps and notes?

Collapse -
by stakzondek / January 13, 2014 8:57 AM PST

Will it transfer over app data, like note pad as well?

Collapse -
by DistinctiveDan / January 27, 2014 5:00 AM PST

much googling led me here and moborobo is AWESOME!

thank you!!!

Collapse -
by PeterParkar035 / January 15, 2014 4:56 PM PST

It is possible that you can recover all your data which is stored in your mobile phone. First of all you change the screen of your phone and then check the data, if it is alright, it is good otherwise trying to recover your data with the available tools.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.