Samsung

General discussion

Scrambled Channel or Weak Signal - Samsung LCD

by mvprofit / April 27, 2010 11:21 AM PDT

I'm having an issue with my new Samsung 32" LCD TV (Model No. LN32B360C5DXZA) that I'd love to have fixed.

Currently I've got my TV directly plugged into the wall without a cable box. This setup is for a few reasons, most important to me is that it allows me access to local channels like NBC in HD. Not having any third-party cable box, only having to use one remote, and free HD channels has been great. The downside though is my channel numbers after the TV scans for them are ridiculous: 38-105 is TNT, for example. I found a workaround by favoriting my most watched channels through the TV feature and also making a paper channel list.

However a few weeks ago a few of my favorited channels simply disappeared, and when I tried to return to that channel I got a "Scrambled Channel or Weak Signal" error message accompanied by a black screen. Initially this happened almost exclusively on my favorited channels, but more recently I've been losing more channels. Auto Programing the TV will delete these channels, as the TV recognizes them as Scrambled.

This confuses me, as I'm still able to receive many other cable channels.

I've tried changing out cable cords with no luck. The signal strength of my reception reads 9/10 bars, so signal strength can't be an issue.

I want to keep HD channels, but I also need to access the channels I'm losing/have lost (ESPN is one example).

Can someone please diagnose what my problem could be? Thanks.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Scrambled Channel or Weak Signal - Samsung LCD
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Scrambled Channel or Weak Signal - Samsung LCD
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Problems
by mvprofit / April 30, 2010 9:39 AM PDT

TV is still having many problems. Nearly all channels are now marked "Scrambled/Weak Signal" with no picture. I've run Auto Program as recently as last night, which offered no help.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what the problem could be?

Collapse -
Scrambled Channel or Weak Signal - Samsung LCD
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / April 30, 2010 6:23 PM PDT

mvprofit,

It could be that the broadcasting of certain channels is weak, or that the cable company is scrambling some channels. If you're able to get some channels, it's likely not a tuner or hardware issue, but an issue with either the cable signal, the wiring or something related to the cable service.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Response
by mvprofit / May 2, 2010 11:15 AM PDT

Is it possible that my cable provider changed something so that these channels have signals that are too weak, or they are too scrambled, for me to receive them on a TV without a special cable box? I was getting all these channels for months, and suddenly I've lost nearly all of them (save for broadcast HD channels, thankfully).

Collapse -
Response
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / May 4, 2010 2:59 PM PDT
In reply to: Response

mvprofit,

I don't know for each specific instance. That would have to be addressed by the company delivering the content. If the tuner was defective, it doesn't make logical sense (to me, anyway) that channels would gradually stop being available - it would stop altogether suddenly. So I tend to think it's more of a broadcaster issue.

--HDTech

Collapse -
HD channels through regular cable
by BobbySmithy / June 2, 2010 8:25 AM PDT

I had the same problem, although your setup sounds a lot better than mine. I have Charter cable and although we have an HD box in the living room for all the cable channels, I used to get the basic channels in HD just running through the coaxial cable in my bedroom. I only got the basic stuff though like local channels, and Fox Sports. I wish ESPN. Those channels always came in inconsistently though and recently they all stopped working.

My cable is actually split off another cable from an adjacent bedroom, so I figured the signal was too weak. I bought a Philips 12db Signal Amplifier and a new coaxial cable and just hooked it up. Everything is working better than ever now and I even get some channels that wouldn't come in before.

Collapse -
All of my Samsungs, different years, have the same issue
by michaelwil / February 4, 2012 6:13 AM PST

Are you still having problems? If you figured out a resolution please let me know!

I have no idea why with auto programming they pick up so many, ie dozens of weak signal channels, with obsure channel numbers ie 93-1060, then you have to manually go in and delete. Very poor quality on Samsungs part.

For your issue try hooking up a different brand TV from a friend and see if it persists.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Magazine

The summer issue is here!

In the latest edition of our quarterly magazine, we look at how you can spend your summer getting fit and having fun. Pick up a copy on newsstands today or order it now.