TVs & Home Theaters

General discussion

Scientific Atlanta 8300 HDC Resolution change in HDMI

by poidog1973 / April 25, 2008 3:54 PM PDT

I have a Samsung LN40A550 40" LCD TV attached to Time Warner Cable's 8300HDC DVR box via HDMI. Whenever I turn the TV off, then turn it back on, the cable box reverts from 1080i to 480p every time. I have to goto Settings/Display/OUtput Resolution on the DVR set top box, deselect 1080i, then reselect it to get 1080i back on the TV.

If I use Component Video, the resolution doesn't change each time. Component Video is very good, but HDMI is definitely better.

Is this an issue with the 8300HDC DVR or my TV? Samsung insists that it's the cable box because the TV acts as a display and does not interact with the box. This makes sense, but only if the DVR can sense and adjust to the TV power being turned on and off. I've swapped out the cable box and that didn't resolve the issue.

Any ideas on a way to fix this? The problem is resolved via a manual update on my part, so it's not the end of the world. The TV picture quality is excellent. But, I'd like to just turn the TV and start watching it.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Scientific Atlanta 8300 HDC Resolution change in HDMI
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Scientific Atlanta 8300 HDC Resolution change in HDMI
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Similar problem
by gdunleary / April 25, 2008 8:32 PM PDT

I have Time Warner of NY and the same DVR box connected to my Sony HDTV.But I have the problem with component cables as well.Every time I change channels not only on powering the TV up and a different resolution channel the screen goes black for a second or so scrambles before it rights itself.Its very annoying moreever I cant even tune-up the video I get one channel right the next channel is not right.I got tired doing this I am getting TW technition out today and demanding a new box and if that wont do the trick I don t want the DVR box anymore.They are charging $ 10 more for it and its degrading the quality of my TV.As for HDMI connection they told me that some of the DVR boxes they give you have HDMI connection but are" not abled" for it.

Collapse -
8300 HDC
by mulciberus / April 26, 2008 4:39 PM PDT

"I have a Samsung LN40A550 40" LCD TV attached to Time Warner Cable's 8300HDC DVR box via HDMI. Whenever I turn the TV off, then turn it back on, the cable box reverts from 1080i to 480p every time. I have to goto Settings/Display/OUtput Resolution on the DVR set top box, deselect 1080i, then reselect it to get 1080i back on the TV.

If I use Component Video, the resolution doesn't change each time. Component Video is very good, but HDMI is definitely better.

Is this an issue with the 8300HDC DVR or my TV?"

Yes, this is a known problem with this box, but only since the firmware update that was distributed at the beginning of January. Before that settings remained intact whether the equipment was powered on or off.

It only affects HDMI.

You will see that if you turn the TV ONLY off, the problem will reoccur. Nevertheless it IS a problem with the box (or more accurately the firmware). What is happening is that the TV is telling the box what kind of signal it is looking for, so the TV is doing nothing abnormal. It's not your Samsung.

It's the POS Time Warner firmware. They took it upon themselves to develop their own firmware program on the cheap (the way they do everything) and as a result it is full of bugs.

What I do is set two channels as favorites (and just for backup, I use one of the "macro" keys on the remote to do the same). If you start the tv/box on an SD channel it will be a compressed size picture in 480i. Using "favorites" or "m1" switch to a known 1080i channel and the picture will expand and switch resolutions. From that point forth it will set itself properly whatever channel you're on. Total PITA.

I've been told that there is a major firmware update coming very soon, as early as the end of this month. If this does not fix the problem I will have to switch to TIVO.

If there were any way in the world I could avoid TWC I would. They are absolutely the worst. (Sorry, but it must be said).

DGI

Collapse -
8300 HDC
by poidog1973 / April 27, 2008 2:19 AM PDT
In reply to: 8300 HDC

Thanks alot for the confirmation and the tip for handling this big PITA.

There are a variety of reasons to dislike TWC. What is particulary irritating is that TWC's tech didn't know anything about the problem having never heard of it happening, hence my call to Samsung. This is the reason competition is a good thing. They have us hooked on the Road Runner. If there were a reasonable alternative, we'd drop them faster than you can say "Time Warner Cable sucks."

Thanks again.

Collapse -
TWC a scourge
by mulciberus / April 27, 2008 3:28 AM PDT
In reply to: 8300 HDC

"There are a variety of reasons to dislike TWC. What is particulary irritating is that TWC's tech didn't know anything about the problem having never heard of it happening, hence my call to Samsung."

I'm not fond of letting on how old I am, but I've had Time Warner Cable since it became available in New York City. Over more than two decades you can fairly say you know how a company works. The bit about not knowing about a clearly apparent problem ("no sir, we haven't received any calls about trouble in your area"...when I know for a fact that my entire block is out and I'm just calling to find out what they're doing about it) has been a ruse of theirs from the beginning. They learn about it in "Screw the Customer U."

It's one thing when a four year old says "the dog ate my homework", another when that four year old is a middle aged business executive.

Sorry that I've prattled on in response to a simple question, but I often wonder where the outrage is.

Thanks for listening. DGI

Collapse -
HDMI & component output changing on its own
by rwalker44 / April 30, 2008 5:40 AM PDT
In reply to: TWC a scourge

My TWC 8300HDDVR will also switch from HDMI to component output on its own every day or so. I am forced to reboot the system to correct the problem. I have been looking for a way to resolve these problems also.

Collapse -
straight forward solution
by jostenmeat / April 30, 2008 6:09 AM PDT

change out your cable box. they do go on the fritz and die.

Collapse -
DVR, not cable box
by mulciberus / May 1, 2008 5:48 AM PDT

>change out your cable box. they do go on the fritz and die.

That is not the case here. Time Warner Cable "broke" the HDMI capability on this box.

And it's not a simple cable box, it's a DVR. So when you switch it you have to toss whatever's on it. TWC could easily transfer your data for you, but they won't because they have contempt for their customers.

Even easier than transferring the data, they could let you keep your old box for two weeks while you use the new one and watch what's left on your old one. After all, what do they have to lose - they already have your credit information, they already bill you on a monthly basis, so you'll surely get their box back to them on time.

But they don't because Time Warner Cable has CONTEMPT for their customers, and sweetheart deals all over the country (as they do here in NYC) meaning that they do not need to compete or do ANYTHING they don't want to do.

Time Warner Cable is a horror. DGI

Collapse -
sure sure whatever
by jostenmeat / May 1, 2008 7:14 AM PDT
In reply to: DVR, not cable box

it doesn't matter if its TWC bla bla. If you use a different carrier, yes you lose your recorded info. big deal. buy the disc.

no one i know even uses a non-DVR version. So I lump them.

my biggest complaint about TW is their PQ. Otherwise, all cable boxes die. I know someone with a different carrier, of much superior PQ, but they are on their 3rd or 4th DVR already. Their latest one is a pretty slick model.

as much as I find TW PQ to suck, I still haven't seen worse than Direct Tv.

Collapse -
Newer boxes may work better
by mulciberus / May 20, 2008 4:02 PM PDT
In reply to: sure sure whatever

>>
If you use a different carrier, yes you lose your recorded info. big deal. buy the disc.

>>

Wrong answer.

What I record using the DVR is stuff I cannot get elsewhere. I pay TWC $25 a month for Japanese television. It is way overpriced, but I have no choice. There is no other quality Japanese programming in New York City.

On a potentially more positive note, I spoke with a TWC tech recently who suggested that it may only be the earlier boxes in the series that have this bug, and that's why there hasn't been a widespread outcry over it.

My only choice is still to ditch my recorded programming, and roll the dice as to whether a newer box will work better.

He also told me that if I can hold out long enough, TWC will enable a port to do data transfers later this summer, in order to address this very problem.

A friend of mine recently purchased one of the new HD Tivo units and it's extremely well-designed and user friendly. Rather costly though.

DGI

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.