Windows Vista

General discussion

Scheduled Tasks

by PhillyBoy919 / March 24, 2007 6:25 AM PDT

Hi: I hope I'm posting to the right board, because I really am a newbie to Vista. I've checked all the tips and guides, etc., and I've seen other posts about specific scheduled tasks, but none that answer my question. My new HP Compaq computer, that came with Vista Basic, does not run that quickly. It's not super slow, it's just a little slow, and I'm wondering if it's because of all the scheduled tasks running in the background. I looked into the task status for the last 24 hours and it shows me a total of 73 tasks! It has 10 running and 37 succeeded. Is this really necessary? I understand Vista brags about extra security, etc., but at what price? Can someone tell me if I really need all these tasks running and if it would be advisable to disable some? Wouldn't that help speed up the computer a little? Thanks so much.

My computer is a HP Compaq Intel Celeron 356, 120GB H.D., 512 RAM, 3.3 GHz. I hope this is enough info.

webacons

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Scheduled Tasks
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Scheduled Tasks
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Expected...
by John.Wilkinson / March 25, 2007 2:19 AM PDT
In reply to: Scheduled Tasks

The scheduled tasks isn't the primary thing I would be concerned with...it would be startup programs and services.

First, press Windows + R, type in msconfig, and press enter. Select the Startup tab and uncheck any programs you don't want to launch automatically at boot, then click OK. Opt to reboot later and, after you do, check the box not to remind you again.

Second, press Windows + R, type in services.msc, and press enter. Many of the services provided by Windows and enabled by default are not necessary. For instance, Portable Device Enumerator Service is unnecessary if you don't have an MP3 player that utilizes it, ReadyBoost may help performance a tad, but only if you have a spare flash drive connected, and Indexing Service is perhaps one of the greatest offenders Microsoft has included. (It is designed to index the contents of your hard drive to make file searches faster, but tends to decrease day-to-day performance.) You can use this guide to help determine what processes should be enabled and which should not.

The cold hard fact, though, is that your new computer will never run Vista well with what HP provided you with. 512MB is the bare minimum recommended amount of RAM for Vista, but you don't even have that since 128MB has been reserved for the integrated graphics. Thus, simply booting up Vista utilizes just about all of your RAM, leaving little room for additional software. Your hard drive is then utilized for temporary storage, but its limited speed in comparison to RAM simply exacerbates the problem.

In short, you should consider upgrading to 1GB of RAM if you want to receive decent performance from that machine. Disabling various processes and tweaking will only get you so far, which isn't much given what HP gave you to work with.

John

Collapse -
hope
by Eric Gong / March 25, 2007 5:40 PM PDT
In reply to: Scheduled Tasks

agree with the above

we can check in clean boot

type in msconfig in search box and click continue when the uac pops up. switch to services tab, check on " hide all micresoft services" then click disable all. after doing that, switch to startup tab and click disable all, reboot your computer and check the issue.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.