Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Scheduled tasks

by deaconjon / July 8, 2005 12:38 AM PDT

Using the Task Scheduler in W-XP, I encounter an error message ""0x80070005: Access is denied. You do not have permission to perform the requested operation."

I have a single-user machine, no network. The "status" message for the particular task states that the task "could not start."

I have tried to set passwords, but that doesn't work either.

Any ideas?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Scheduled tasks
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Scheduled tasks
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Hi deaconjon
by roddy32 / July 8, 2005 1:17 AM PDT
In reply to: Scheduled tasks
Collapse -
Thanks, Roddy
by deaconjon / July 8, 2005 1:36 AM PDT
In reply to: Hi deaconjon

I tried the link you suggested. Seems MS doesn't have a fix, either. The answer -- wait for SP3.

They suggested a "work around," however that doesn't work either. Error message said that it couldn't find the program that was supposed to be run to do the fix (gpedit.msc).

Guess I'll just have to wait.

Thanks, again!!

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) You're welcome, sorry it didn't work.
by roddy32 / July 8, 2005 1:48 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks, Roddy
Collapse -
XP is not a single user machine.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 8, 2005 1:52 AM PDT

Once we get past that concept, we might find an answer.

Scheduled Tasks in XP do require more work and is documented at But the usual (first) roadblock I see here is the "single user" concept.

Collapse -
Workaround for non-SP2 users...
by Astara / July 22, 2005 7:08 AM PDT

I was able to remove the Task Scheduler patch (KB841873) and get my Tasks to execute again, correctly.

There is a suitable workaround for the original security problem described on under "Vulnerability Details"->Workarounds for Task Scheduler Vulnerability".

If you have SP2 installed, I assume uninstalling SP2 would also allow it to be fixed. I don't have SP2 installed, as when I did install it, too many different things all failed at once. I went through all the proper "procedures", making sure there were no programs running that might interfere, but after installation, previous programs I depend on refused to run or wouldn't work over the internet (I disabled the SP2 firewall as I already have that covered with a 3rd party, two way firewall).

I find it amusing that Microsoft claims Longhorn is faster than Windows XP -- so it was faster over Win98, but both Service Packs slowed down WinXP. In some cases the slowdown was "permanent" -- no workaround to be provided. Indeed MS security updates broke my Outlook-2002 working with the IMAP protocol. I wasn't able to roll those back as my saved system states were corrupted after installing the MS Critical Security fixes. I did analyze the IMAP traffic generated by Outlook -- and when it would hang/ hangs (doesn't always hang, some timing problem), Outlook doesn't send the IMAP equivalent of "end of commands, now run". The result is the IMAP server waits (I think it waits about 20-30 minutes), and the Outlook client is "waiting" for a response from the server that never comes. About 50% of the time, trying to cancel the operation in Outlook will result in Outlook hanging (program not responding) and having to be killed from the Task Manager.

In short -- back out the broken MS patches and wait till MS has a patch to correct the problem(s) introduced by the "critical patches".

Collapse -
by deaconjon / July 22, 2005 10:13 AM PDT

I don't think your solution is my problem. I am not on a client server and have installed SP-2 and am current with the fixes.

I'm not sure that I want to un-install SP-2, which works fine. I have not experienced any issues or problems with my programs, even a third party firewall that I use along with W-XP firewall.

Thanks, anyway for your input.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.