Headphones & Mp3 Players

General discussion

Scheduled FM radio recordings?

by Mark.K / May 31, 2009 11:34 AM PDT

Do you know of any reasonably recent model mp3 player with the capability of scheduling to record more than one FM radio weekly programs and saving them for later listening?

Thank you.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Scheduled FM radio recordings?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Scheduled FM radio recordings?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Use your current mp3 player.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 31, 2009 12:05 PM PDT
Collapse -
Thanks, but that records radio on a PC.
by Mark.K / May 31, 2009 12:15 PM PDT

Thanks for the tip but I'm looking for an mp3 player that records radio on a weekly schedule, not a way to record radio on a PC.

I have Radio Shark by the way.

Collapse -
From memory there ware the Pogo.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 31, 2009 12:19 PM PDT

But no one every showed interest at the 500+ buck price tag. Eventually I found everyone gravitated to the sub 50 buck shark solution.

I doubt the Pogo is to found any more.
Bob

Collapse -
durn spillcheck.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 31, 2009 12:19 PM PDT

I meant "there was the Pogo."

Collapse -
With so much interest for Tivo for video...
by Mark.K / May 31, 2009 12:41 PM PDT
In reply to: durn spillcheck.

... it would not be unreasonable to expect mp3 players could do the same for radio shows.

It's trivial to add this functionality to mp3 players but I have no idea why none of them do this. The closest I've seen is a player that combined an alarm function with FM recording to record only one show. It did not have a recording schedule capability.

Maybe the ipod touch can do this with the add-on for radio and an app that records radio shows. I'll look into it.

Collapse -
I can imagine some would feel that way but consider.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 31, 2009 9:50 PM PDT

Many shows have mp3 downloads which obliterate the market for such a recorder.

Yes there are 2 people I've found looking for such a thing but will they pay for it? (that is, some thousand bucks?)

Bob

Collapse -
How about this option?
by Dan Filice / June 1, 2009 7:23 AM PDT

I record radio shows to my Mac, then I transfer them into iTunes then into my iPod. Regardless of the mp3 player, could you do this too? For software, I use either iTunes or I use Audio HiJack or WireTap Pro, which records any streaming audio. It saves in mp3, but I still place the file into iTunes so my iPod will accept if for later listening. If your radio show shows up as a Podcast, then you can program iTunes to download it automatically when it's available. I do this with Car Talk and Face the Nation.

Collapse -
I can do this...
by Mark.K / June 1, 2009 2:50 PM PDT
In reply to: How about this option?

... with the radio shark gizmo but I'm looking for an mp3 player that does this so I can take the PC out of the process altogether.

Recording FM radio on mp3 players would be trivial and very inexpensive and much more practical and effective than having to be chained to a PC and having to do all types of transfers and downloads to the player.

Thanks for the suggestion, anyway.

Collapse -
I'm going with "no."
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 1, 2009 10:50 PM PDT

Here's why. The market space (the number of people who would buy this) is not very high. Yes, there is no reason such a device can't be made.

As an example look at The Slacker. That device is almost what you want (I said ALMOST) and would do that if they allowed you to schedule your shows. However there are legal issues about recording and you may or may not know how Creative Lab units would mysteriously lose FM recording with firmware updates. NO MYSTERY TO ME!

Those that disregard the legal issues will write "why can't this be done?" at long posts and they are right.

Let's sum it up:
- Market space.
- Legal.
- The money.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.