Audio & Video Software forum

Scattered songs and Delete Albums.

by djohlson / April 22, 2013 3:20 AM PDT

I've copied my CD's to iTunes. In some cases, the songs from an album appear only individually not as an album--though I've checked album in the find box. I want to collect all the singles into an album for this artist. How can I do it?
There are some albums I want to delete. I highlight then try to delete--nothing. I try to drag it to the trash, album cover still there.??????

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Scattered songs and Delete Albums.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Scattered songs and Delete Albums.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Windows or Mac?
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / April 22, 2013 10:22 AM PDT

You say you Copied your CD's to iTunes.

Did you actually copy them or did you IMPORT them?

You can only delete tracks from the Library. Deleting them from a playlist only removes them from the playlist and not from the library.

Selecting a track and hitting the delete key is all it takes.

Collapse -
Scattered songs and Delete Albums.
by djohlson / April 24, 2013 12:00 PM PDT
In reply to: Windows or Mac?

I have an iMac. I imported the CDs into my iTunes library.
Problem: Say there are 20 songs in an album of duets. But rather than having 1 album with all the songs, the songs are scattered--one song in each of the 20 albums. The covers are the same, except with the name of the other singer on the album.
So, I have 20 songs are scattered into 20 albums. But there is not one album that contains ALL the songs.
I hope that helps. I tried to copy a part of my iTunes library showing my situation, but couldn't do it.
Thanks for your help.

Collapse -
Select one track
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / April 24, 2013 9:55 PM PDT

Right Click it and "Get Info" .

make sure that all the Album field is correct.
Repeat for all the tracks on that album.

When finished, check to see if there is now an album that contains all the tracks.

By the way, were you connected to the internet when you imported those tracks?

Collapse -
Scattered songs
by djohlson / April 24, 2013 11:49 PM PDT
In reply to: Select one track

I was on the internet but I did not download them from the internet. I physically put the CDs into my iMac and then imported them into my iTunes Music Library.

Collapse -
The reason I asked was because
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / April 25, 2013 8:21 AM PDT
In reply to: Scattered songs

iTunes checks with the Gracenote music database, somewhere out there on the internet, to see if it can provide information about the CD's you are importing.

iTunes takes that information and puts it in the Information box for that CD and track.

We didn't establish whether these were commercially produced CD's or homemade compilation CD's

Collapse -
This is true.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 24, 2013 11:53 PM PDT

I can only guess you haven't read what a mess some AudioCDs are. As you import them that's the time to clean it up. Some folk expect apps to automatically fix such things.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.