Mac OS forum

General discussion

Scanning Problem after installing Snow Leopard

by sdolan416 / September 6, 2009 10:41 AM PDT

My HP Photosmart 3210 all-in-one wouldn't initialize and sent error messages after I installed Snow Leopard yesterday. I went on the HP support network, which gave me a solution that sometimes works and sometimes doesn't, plus in the past I never had to take all the extra steps to scan a photo. The HP support site claims that upgrades for HP Printer devices was included with Snow Leopard. So why can't I just press the scan button like I used to?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Scanning Problem after installing Snow Leopard
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Scanning Problem after installing Snow Leopard
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by macnerd10 / September 7, 2009 5:01 PM PDT

You might like to either install printer support from your SL install disk (it is in the extra folder), or better yet, buy the excellent shareware VueScan ( It is great and supports a wide variety of scanners. Most people including me love it. Like I got a new scanner, faster, better colors, smaller files.

Collapse -
scanning problem
by arelny / September 8, 2009 7:52 AM PDT

I suffered the inability to scan with my Brother multifunction device after installing Snow Leopard, but was able to scan via the dialog boxes as you described. Turns out I had to go to the Brother site and download and install the SCANNER driver. After that, everything was fine. Apparently, Snow Leopard must've trashed it.

Collapse -
HP Photosmart
by rottstin / September 12, 2009 11:03 PM PDT

I had a 6100 series printer and switched to a Photosmart C309A. I also had a problem with scanning and the Photosmart Studio in general when I upgraded to 10.6. I discovered that the Studio software had changed and that scanning was now done in one of several ways: thru the Preview application (under File, Import from Scanner), under System Preferences (when you select the printer you are using there is now a scan button at the top of the page and when you click it (as opposed to Print) there will be an Open Scanner option and you can proceed from there or you can scan via Bonjour.

I also deleted my HP folder and downloaded a newer version of Photosmart Studio (it actually might have come on the printer disk) but it no longer had scanning as an option and it contained the software for CD/DVD direct printing, which is a function of the 309.

Collapse -
Hp officejet j3680 All-in-one problems after Mac OS 10.6 ins
by jacques.croteau.1 / September 14, 2009 3:22 PM PDT

Installing Mac OS 10.6 on my MacBook pro make me loose capability to print, scan and fax with the HP Officejet j3680 All-in-one printer. After the update to 10.6.1, I was able to choose the printer in the preference panel and recovered the possibility to print and scan using "aper

Collapse -
You could try checking the HP website,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / September 14, 2009 9:55 PM PDT
Collapse -
printing with HP and Mac OS 10.6.1
by jacques.croteau.1 / September 15, 2009 1:29 AM PDT

Thank you for your answer.
The link that you suggest would probably help somebody with the same problem. It is the exact wording that I received from HP when I sent my remarks to them.
Of course, I can use my printer and scanner but that still left me without the facilities that I had with the previous version of the application. ( i.e. scanning several pages in one PDF document, OCR, automatic start of the application with scan button or introduction of document in the feeder).

I have received no answer on these issues.

I hope Apple or HP will correct (in the case of a PDF document crashing) or reintroduce OCR and automatic start in a next update.

I am in the process of trying to share this printer with a PC working with Window XP. It was working before the update but doesn't work any more. I will keep you (and HP) inform of my success.

Collapse -
I agree that HP have been very lax in preparing
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / September 15, 2009 3:38 AM PDT

AiO software for the Mac, any version.

It's always a hit an miss on those machine with them.

Hopefully they will catch up and get the drivers made available for release.

I assume you downloaded the currently batch of HP drivers that Apple released last week?

Collapse -
Same OSX 10.6/scan problem...found a "fix"
by lauralizrd / December 6, 2009 4:45 AM PST

Jacques...tu parles francais, n'est-ce pas? Mais si!...voil

Collapse -
Already suggested, but
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / December 6, 2009 5:20 AM PST

Collapse -
HP Photosmart software has been updated
by rottstin / September 16, 2009 1:23 AM PDT

I am confused about why people seem to think this issue is unanswered. Maybe I wasn't clear in my previous response.

You can no longer scan thru HP Photosmart software, but you don't need to get printer drivers from HP.

You can scan thru Preview, Preferences or Image Capture (You can reach your printer in Bonjour, too). The reference to this is here: You will have to look for the section that says "Scanning with the software included in Mac OS X 10.6"

Collapse -
(NT) Maybe they don't equate PhotoSmart with OfficeJet
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / September 16, 2009 5:08 AM PDT
Collapse -
by jacques.croteau.1 / September 16, 2009 3:25 PM PDT

As I already mentioned, printing, scanning and fax are present and working in the update 10.6.1. But if you have tried to scan several pages to make one PDF document you probably remarked that your application crash. OCR is not include in these applications. The interface provided by HP in the previous version was more friendly user.

I mentioned that my MAC had lost the contact with my son's Windows XP computer. I finally succeeded to make them speak to each other. We can also print to each other printer. (HP officejet j3600 series and HP psc 2200) The contact couldn't be made threw "Bonjour". This utility on the Window computer couldn't see my printer. I had to configure the connection filling up all these little boxes of information:address IP, smb....
Scanning cannot work threw the network. (This is a miner problem for us.)

Collapse -
Printing with HP and Mac OS 10.6.1
by jacques.croteau.1 / September 16, 2009 5:58 PM PDT

Just received this answer from HP and downloaded the new driver and applications offer by them for my printer/fax/scanner/copier. The document was posted on the 14 on their site. It is a nice interface and it restores all the features that were in the old application. The interface for the fax has been improve. In general, more options are offer for printing and scanning. Yes, we can now start operations from the printer and do OCR.
Thank you HP.

"Je tiens

Collapse -
by jacques.croteau.1 / September 18, 2009 3:15 AM PDT

It looks like HP is still in the process of updating drivers and softwares that go with Mac OS 10.6.1. It would be a good idea to check their site regularly. Apple also offer update regularly about HP printer.
Although I have done the last update this morning for my Officejet j3600 series, I still improve problems scanning through Preview, System Preferences or Image Capture. These applications still quit if I choose to scan in PDF format checking the case to make one document from several pages. However, I can scan a multi-pages document with "HP SCAN" and save it in TXT, RTF, PDF... with OCR. This program was downloaded from HP site:
Maybe the problem is in the driver that HP provide to Apple to integrate HP printers and scanners in these three applications ( Preview, System Preferences, Image Capture )?

Collapse -
HP and Epson have no intention of fixing scanning in SL
by pashdej / March 4, 2010 9:38 PM PST

I think that it is very clear that HP, Epson and Brother - maybe also Canon, have ditched development of further scanning software for the Mac, EVEN though they sell scanners with bundled OCR and Translation software, which is of course now defunct.
They see Apple's decision to improve image capture in the Operating System as a great research cost saver, they happily ditch their promises and their responsibility to their customers; and yet, they still expect to make our lives hell if we dare to use Generic ink cartridges in their printers.
Also, I have just purchased an Epson Photo R800 printer, with CD/DVD print capability, the drivers on the CD are Tiger drivers, when I went to their site and searched for Photo R800 Snow Leopard software I was told "There are no files that meet your search request"! The R800 is not a cheap printer.
It begins to make me angry that they can take our money so happily and then abandon us completely.

Collapse -
Didn't take 30 seconds to find this on the Epson site
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / March 5, 2010 3:21 AM PST
Collapse -
Problems with scanner driver after installing Snow Leopard
by johnwpetro / September 17, 2009 11:49 PM PDT

I also have had a problem with scanning after installing Snow Leopard on my MacPro workstation. When I try to scan a document with my Canoscan 8800F scanner, I get the message that the software can not locate the scanner driver. I have already downloaded the latest scanner driver software for the 8800F scanner and installed it, but I still get the error message that the program is unable to locate the scanner. This happens both in Photoshop and the Canoscan software that came with the scanner. What should I do?

Collapse -
Problems with scanner driver after installing Snow Leopard
by BobH / September 18, 2009 1:42 AM PDT

I have a HP Photosmart C4280 that would not scan after upgrade to 10.6. I finally deleted the printer and all HP files in Applications and reinstalled the printer and got updated drivers through software update and all works now. To scan I can no longer use device manager, but can scan through Preview, System Preferences or Image Capture which HP says is now normal. Don't know if this would help, but it solved my problem.

Collapse -
HP and OCR
by Ffeog / January 2, 2010 8:14 PM PST

The use of OCR on HP printers under Snow Leopard seems to cause endless frustration.
I tried the suggested solution provided by another forum member and it appears to work on my HP C5180, using HP driver software 2.1.4 (7) under OSX 10.6.2. The difficulty is that you no longer select an 'OCR Scan' at the outset. Instead, you do what appears to be an image scan (and that's what all scanners do anyway, I think). Then you tell it to save the scan as a text file. I did that, 'IrisScan' popped up for a couple of seconds and it worked; I opened the text file with Pages and it was editable. The solution, as copied from another contributor, is below: Check it out on other models, and go a little deeper into multi-page, the various pdf options, and even whether it works seamlessly in Word ( 'Insert' calls HP Scan, but there is apparently no text choice so it goes in as an image). One possible pain is that it looks like you have to go via the 'file- save' route, rather than importing text direct into a wp application, but at least in Pages you can Paste & Match Style. TELL US ALL WHAT YOU FIND!

I Quote, with many thanks:
Here's how I did an OCR scan in Snow Leopard using my PSC 1401 all in one:
1st I updated the driver.
2nd I clicked on /Applications/Hewlett-Packard/HP
3rd I choose Scan Documents(before which I made an auto adjust for landscape settings)
4th I hit the Save Icon at the top and choose format: TXT and make sure Contents were save to single file. . .

Collapse -
Scanning Problem after installing Snow Leopard
by jaykappmeier / April 25, 2010 1:27 PM PDT

I had the same problem on my HP 2840 AIO printer. In fact, the same thing happened out of the box when 10.5 was new. In the case of Snow Leopard, I reinstalled the same driver that they updated for 10.5 and it restored all the functionality.

Try reinstalling the driver you have from 10.5

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.