Audio & Video Software forum

Scanning differnt size photographs to show the same size.

by BML / February 14, 2013 4:33 PM PST

I have an Epson GT 15000 scanner. I also have several thousand photographs I would like to digitalise but I'm already in trouble because I can't work out how to get the photographs to show all the same size when they are viewed on the TV.
By that I mean that when I scan the different size photographs from 2.5 X 3.5 inches to 4 X 6 they appear in different sizes when I open the folder they are in.
I'm not sure what effect that will have if I ever get to the building a slide show stage.
I know that I will need to burn the results to a CD or DVD because want to view the photographs through a DVD/CD player on a TV.
Actually, I'm don't even know if it is a DVD or CD that I should use to put the slide show on.
I think that the Epson GT 15000 is up to what I want to do but would anyone care to comment on its software and if that is up to what I want to do.
If it is not should I be looking at different software?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Scanning differnt size photographs to show the same size.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Scanning differnt size photographs to show the same size.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Re: photographs
by Kees_B Forum moderator / February 14, 2013 5:18 PM PST

There's a lot to cover here.

First the scanning. The scan results in a picture (might be .bmp or .jpg) with a certain number of pixels (x and y axis). If a photo is 10 x 15 cm, that can result for example in a picture of 2000 x 3000 pixels (the exact numbers depend on the settings of the scanner). But if it's a 9 x 13 cm it will never become 2000 x 3000 (at best 2000 x 2888), and if it's an old square 10 x 10 picture it might become 2000 x 2000 (or whatever). That's the aspect ratio. If the aspect ratio of the source is different, it will have a different aspect ratio when displayed. The only thing you can do about that is to use a photo editing program to cut off everything outside your own preferred aspect ratio for each picture that differs.

Then we have the display size. A lot of programs on a PC have settings to control that. Say the original size: a picture of 2000 x 3000 pixels is shown only partially (with scrollbars) if your monitor isn't 2000 x 3000 pixels (it isn't). Or the best fit with black to fill up the screen. So a 2000 x 3000 picture in portrait mode will be shown with 1080 pixels vertically if your monitor is 1920 x 1080, with a lot of black on the left and right side.
So the next thing to consider is what the TV does when the pixels of the picture are not exactly equal to the pixels of the screen. There might be a fixed way to do it defined in the TV's firmware, or it might have a photo viewing app that lets you control it.
So depending on those factors you might need to use a photo-editing program to edit all pics to the same number of pixels (x and y). That's the only sure thing: if the x and y are the same, they will be displayed in the same size.

Adding a DVD-player to the mix adds more uncertainty, because it has it own settings and options. There are quite a lot of smart TV's at the moment that can display pics from a USB-stick, an external hard disk or your home network without a DVD-player processing them. That might be easier.

For a slide show, there's also the slide show software. Is it an app on the TV? Is it an app in the DVD-player? Do you use Powerpoint on your PC to produce an avi-file of flash file that can be read directly by the TV? Or do you put it on Youtube to view it with the Youtube-app on your player?

And imagine the issues that you encounter if it finally works on your Sony player and TV, and you give the DVD to somebody else with a different player and it looks totally different, because you relied on some feature of your player app that doesn't exist on his Samsung player.

Yeah, it's difficult and time-consuming.

Collapse -
And ...
by Kees_B Forum moderator / February 14, 2013 5:21 PM PST
In reply to: Re: photographs

occasionally we have members here that work on some project for months and forget to make a regular backup. Then, when it's nearly ready, something happens and they have to start all over.
So just a tip: buy an external hard disk for backing up your work while it's in progress.

Collapse -
Slide Show
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / February 15, 2013 12:00 AM PST

I have made over 100 slide shows.
At first I tried to do what you are thinking and quickly learned it was not necessary to size the photos.

If you use the right slide show software it will make no difference.
The photos do not have to be a certain size or aspect ratio.
What you want is a large image size, the software will determine the rest.
The size should be 1920 x 1080 or anything larger.
Actually .. larger is better, because you can get better effects from zoom and pan.

Use slide show software that has "Ken Burns" effects (zoom and pan).

If you have a flat screen TV, set the software aspect ratio to 16 x 9.

For the best results upgrade your set-top DVD player to one that can "upscale" or "upconvert" (about $50)
All Blu-Ray DVD players can "upconvert" non Blu-Ray DVDs. (Blu-Ray players are about $160 and up)

The DVD will look its best when played on a set-top DVD player connected to a flat screen TV set.

As for the software, I can save you some time.
None of the free slide show software is up to the job, so don't waste your time.
Expect to spend around $75 for good software.

Collapse -
Auto sizing?
by ChuckT / February 15, 2013 7:13 AM PST

Might the TV, or the program you are using (which might be even on the drive you are using - there are a lot of possibilities here) have the ability to size up or down whatever picture on the display at the time. ?

Collapse -
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / February 15, 2013 10:22 AM PST
In reply to: Auto sizing?

The "Ken Burns" feature will size the picture up or down.
However it is never a good idea to upsize a picture because that will degrade the image.
Lets say you upsize a picture file of 1000 x 562 to 1920 x 1080, where did those extra pixels come from?
They are generated by software by a process of interpolation.

That is why I suggest the minimum size be 1920 x 1080.
That is the size of a High Definition television screen.

I use the slide show program called Pro Show Gold.
You can download a free trial program that will let you try out all the features.
The free version will put a watermark on the output though.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.