Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Scan for Viruses how Often?

by bglover51 / June 3, 2005 2:52 AM PDT

I have always generally relied on my AV software to alert me when an infection appears. I have not, in the past, scanned my hard drive often-- maybe once per month if that.

Perhaps I've been fortunate because I've never had a bad infection. I always keep my AV up to date and have been using a firewall for years etc. (I do scan religiously for spyware-- weekly-- as I find that more worrisome than any virus-- because I've been assuming that my AVG will "flag" anything right away).

This has worked for me-- but I am wondering if I should scan more frequently and also wonder if perhaps I should do additional scans beyond my "usual" onboard AVG free. (On the rare occasions where I think I may be infected I do go to Trend Micro and allow that to scan, and also download Avast! and allows that a scan as well.) But, that is only when I think there is something amiss (for example, when I 1st noticed that emails from a sober were being returned to my address, I assumed my pc was infected-- not so, as that particular virus was a spoof virus).

How often and what "additional" products do others use for virus scans?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Scan for Viruses how Often?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Scan for Viruses how Often?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
It's a personal choice, mine
by roddy32 / June 3, 2005 3:39 AM PDT

happens to be once a week with NAV 2004 and once every 2 or 3 weeks with Housecall. I have NAV set to automatically scan the same time every week.

Collapse -
with AVG paid version
by dawillie / June 3, 2005 4:47 AM PDT

have set it to scan twice in the morning and twice at night with MSAS and the AVG auto updater in between.

As well, weekkly scans with either Trend, or Panda.

Ad-Aware and SpyBot, as soon as an update is announced and Tea Timer running in the background.

None of the above are resource hogs so I can surf/ play bridge etc. while the scan runs in the background.

A personal choice.

Collapse -
spyware
by Crucegg435 / June 10, 2005 6:40 AM PDT
In reply to: with AVG paid version

We use PCSafe to protect us from wpayware, along with SpyBot, although i do not trust Spybot as much. PCSafe costs $30 to activate, but thats it, nothing after that. it is really powerful, and if you dont think they are catching something email them and they will respond in 48hrs with an answer. it also comes with a powerful pop-up blocker that is a toolbar.

Collapse -
mine...
by dyspyzthespyz / June 3, 2005 6:50 AM PDT

once a week with AVG Pro, once every two weeks with AdAware, Spybot, Spysweeper, once a month with Housecall, Panda ActiveScan, A-Squared. checking of course everyday for updates and what-not.

Collapse -
3:00 AM
by msgale / June 9, 2005 11:18 PM PDT
In reply to: mine...

Assuming that you have real-time protection active, which you should, logically full scan should be done after every virus update, but no more than that. Since currently I do daily virus signature updates (Norton Intelligent Updater) I have a full scan scheduled for 3:00 AM each day.

Collapse -
SCAN OFTEN
by DRAKOR99 / June 10, 2005 1:02 AM PDT

I generally scan at least once a week for viruses. I use McAfee to protect my computer. I scan for spyware at least once a day. I try to also scan for viruses around the same time. Also, each time I diconnect from the internet I run a scan for spyware & depending on how long I was online, I may scan for viruses.

Collapse -
Everyday!
by GradyPhilpott / June 10, 2005 1:38 AM PDT

My Norton Internet Security 2005 decided that my subscription had expired eleven months early. Technical Support has gotten LiveUpdate to work, but Intelligent Updater still thinks my subscription is expired. Until a few days ago when this all happened, I updated my virus definitions daily, as well.

If Symantec doesn't get this fixed ASAP, I'm ditching NIS and Symantec for good and going with PC-cillan.

Collapse -
NIS 2005 Fixed
by GradyPhilpott / June 24, 2005 5:16 AM PDT
In reply to: Everyday!

I finally got my NIS 2005 fixed with help from Norton Tech Support. It took longer than I would have liked, but my security was never compromised and now I'm downloading virus definitions and running virus scans daily.

Collapse -
Once a week
by marty56 / June 10, 2005 2:07 AM PDT

Once a week at the same time is fine for me with Symantecs Antivirus Corporate Edition and their weekly upgrades. It has caught anything that tries to come in and I run Webroot SpySweeper once a week also and have never had a problem. I also use Sygate Personal Firewall. Can't complain system is self sufficient and automated.

Collapse -
Twice a week
by gregorsamsa / June 10, 2005 2:41 AM PDT

I scan my temp folder on mondays. My system folder on wednesdays. A complete one goes weekly.

Almost all of my problems were hidden on temp folders or in the system folder - I dont install new programs frequently. I use Symantec Corp., and some spyware/adaware softwares. This schedule is working for three months without any problems.

I have a "my shared folder" for p2p programs but I dont use it for "suspect softwares" - I search here and in other sites if the soft is really reliable.

Collapse -
Being as you mentioned AVG
by techtype / June 10, 2005 2:59 AM PDT

AVG has a background scan function that I use (I have it scan in the morning, when I first turn on the computer), the only time I know it has scanned is when it comes up to tell me that it is through scanning and reports. So it wouldn't interfere with your using the computer while it scans. Not only that, have it schedule the updating of the definitions automatically as well.

Hope this helps, Rick

http://www.rickswebfactory.com/

Collapse -
Norton
by trekker75 / June 10, 2005 4:59 PM PDT

I know many people here do not like Norton AV, but I've had no problems with it other than a bit of system slowing. One should expect this if the software is doing a real scan sweep.(My humble opinion) Anyway, I have the AV do an auto scan 3 times a week with auto updates. I delete anything Norton quarantines because the quarantine folder will cause problems. Then I have SpySweeper frun opposing days from norton and I do manual scans with Adaware and Spybot too.

Collapse -
Norton slow downs - hard disk related?
by mikebliv / June 11, 2005 5:38 AM PDT
In reply to: Norton

I've noticed that my old desktop that used to use Norton (my subscription expires so I'm now with AVG) doesn't really suffer too much during scanning but I have a laptop (with more powerful cpu) that is almost unusable when Norton is scanning. I believe that the amount of cache on the hard disk is a prime factor in system slow downs. I think those with 8Mb hard disk cache and/or possibly those with the paging file on a second hard disk would not have such drastic performance problems from Norton Antivirus. Let me know if this is or isn't true for you.

Collapse -
Virus scans
by sloflyer / June 10, 2005 6:40 PM PDT

Constantly! I've used eTrust ever since it first came out as a freebie and have it set to constantly scan all incoming mail. Since I'm on Charter Pipeline 24/7 I have it set to automatically update which it sometimes does several times a day. I haven't been infected in several years. Forget Norton and all those other wantabees. eTrust gets the job done. Also use Zone Alarm to keep snoops out of your system.

Collapse -
When to scan for viruses
by Giggleheimer / June 11, 2005 5:36 AM PDT

I use Symantc Antivirus, which I find works very well, and has never let me down in terms of finding viruses.
It scans my computer daily for viruses automatically, and unless I am doing something important, I just let it run through and scan away, otherwise I delay the scan for an hou.
There is one particular time when I do scan for viruses myself, and that's when I have just downloaded something, like music. You never know when someone is trying to mess you up.

Collapse -
WHEN TO SCAN..
by lpuzie / June 14, 2005 10:40 PM PDT

I scan all the time. Only because this is a shared computer. I don't want it to break down because partner don't know what he's downloading or doing. The Spy Bot works good for me & computer check-up.

Collapse -
Double the number on the perimeter!On the quick
by kingdomofjones / June 14, 2005 12:46 PM PDT

The question is only troublesome when the scans do not provide for you any increase in you ability to for greater security.This is where a philosophy as to a initiative is your privledge.It can get pretty involved,very reputable companies from anyone like Symantec to Sygate provide a reason for being that is the breath and width of this industry.I believe that is where the responce would be most beneficial and that would be in your understanding of the needs of your computer and as well just how much are you willing to do in order to accomplish what you require.If you are indeed in business then you have a reason to be and I would double the number on the perimeter(in a manner of speaking)That is take it more seriously and rewards of deligence have a way of paying off!

Collapse -
About 8 Clicks Out! about 4 clicks from the village.
by kingdomofjones / June 15, 2005 4:09 PM PDT

The basic idea is at least once a week.However there is more at stake than just what you maybe suggesting.You can in effect look at how the world can get to you and then, would you be interested in a means that would allow complete privacy,security,coupled with speed,power and on board 24/7.That is what is at stake.For instance:I have constructed a power grid which consists of an automatic voltage regulator,a dedicated line conditioner,two uninterupted power supplies,a broadband wireless router linked to a dsl modem,all this before you get anywhere near my computing.It is virtually impossible to damage my computer just this way.However there is more,in particular through a second source and that would be the telephone line.Here the approach is just slightly different but conservative to say the least.In the subject title I describe not only how ever encroaching the enemy is but just how perilous a place our computing environment presents us with whenever we attempt to communicate on the internet.What you asked for was not so much a number like 1 or 3,it was for a full bodied robust defense in which you can communicate freely and at will without being threatened by an ever encroaching presence of violations of conscious,which things like virus's,spyware,malware and so on represent.Even the overseer would have a hard time with what you can do for if you are serious.However,I read about 8 clicks out!The call is yours!

Collapse -
To Scan or Not to Scan...
by rgismondi / June 16, 2005 10:41 AM PDT

A sensible defensive plan is multi-faceted. My Norton Anti-virus is set to receive automatic updates. These occur every Wednesday afternoon, and more often when definitions are available. My task scheduler therefore schedules a complete scan every Wednesday evening. The NAV 2003 scans each incoming and outgoing email automatically. My ISP also scans my incoming email only.

In addition, at least once a week, I run a complete scan, generally an on-line scan by Trend or Panda. When ever I notice that definition updates were downloaded, I run a scan as soon as convenient.

Whenever I download an attachment, or a program file, I SAVE the files, then scan them. This is vital, to prevent infection. I have noticed that compressed files are not always caught with automatic scans; my manual scans have caught several.

NAV and my ISP and have caught many viruses. However, I have never had an infection on my computer.

Re: spyware, I run Ad-Aware and Spybot S & D once a week. Ditto CWShredder.No problems.

~~Robert in Los Angeles

Collapse -
(NT) How often to run AV scan.
by TheMadProfessor / October 15, 2005 2:14 PM PDT

As often as neccesary. While that may seem like a glib reply, it's the only one that works. I scanned after a full restore/reboot and found a virus in a program I hadn't used in over a year, nevertheless it exsisted. It was caught by a scan I use on a regular basis. Once a week to 15 days I scan, especially if I have nothing else to do, but I would say that exceeding a month between scans, is inviting trouble. Some virii lay dormant I beleive, and rely on other triggers to activate. Personally, for every software developer on the bright side of the force, there are 3 who have gone over to the dark side for whatever reason, and lay awake on their prison cots at night dreaming of ways to make everyone else's life as miserable as their own.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.