Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

sbc dsl with linksys router

by Dan-n / November 18, 2004 8:07 AM PST

Ok,i will try to explain as best i can.
Im trying to use a linksys wired 4 port router (besfr41)with my sbc dsl,running windows xp pro.
every time i get the router set up it works fine for a
while but say the next day when me or my daughter trys
to get on the internet the connection fails.I then will reset the router to default settings and reinstall and it will work fine for a while and do the same thing again.i have tryed this four times.
sbc says im using a dynamic service but it also
talks about encapsulation PPPoE.also when i checked,
the dns # are different than what sbc sent me.
the router is set as dynamic on the linksys set up
page.This stuff with routers is all new to me so
so when you reply please keep that in mind,and thanks
for any help you can give
dan-n

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: sbc dsl with linksys router
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: sbc dsl with linksys router
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: sbc dsl with linksys router
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 18, 2004 8:20 AM PST

Try the usual. Have the latest firmware in the router.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: sbc dsl with linksys router
by Dan-n / November 21, 2004 12:29 PM PST

firmware updated,same problem.

Collapse -
A short item...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 21, 2004 8:37 PM PST

Remember that logon, PPPoE and all that occurs in the router noted. Some will think all those settings apply to the PC/Mac/Linux box as well and ... it doesn't.

Bob

Collapse -
Did you figure it out?
by synism / December 26, 2004 10:34 AM PST

Hi Dan-n, did you figure out what you need to do? I'm having the same problem with my brothers SBC DSL connection and Linksys BEFW11S4.

Thanks.

Collapse -
All linksys users are waiting to see if there is a reslove
by pivotalbob / December 27, 2004 3:03 AM PST
In reply to: Did you figure it out?

Yep, I have the same setup. Bought the BEFW11S4 so my son's wireless Mac could be used away from my wired PC. (I work at home.)

The wired system runs fast and consistent, but the router has to be reset everyday for the Mac to connect.

I'd love if Bob in the previous message would lengthen his "short one."

bobaswell

Collapse -
My note was...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 27, 2004 4:58 AM PST

About some users that get confused and install PPPoE into the clients of said Linksys.

However I still ask you install the latest FIRMWARE into the Linksys you have if it's having issues.

Bob

Collapse -
wired routers with SBC DSL
by explorer185 / March 11, 2005 1:43 PM PST
In reply to: My note was...

Im having the same trouble with the computers at my place of work. THE FIRM WARE IS UP TO DATE.
The only differance is that my conection only lasts a few minutes.

Collapse -
In explorer185's case, the router should last a few minutes
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 11, 2005 9:56 PM PST

And be swapped out for another make or model...

Bob

Collapse -
SBC DSL and Linksys BEFSX41
by mikeharpe / July 5, 2005 12:28 PM PDT

I had the same problems described here with the following setup:

Linksys BEFSX41 router
Efficient Networks model 5100 DSL Modem
(This is the one SBC sold me with service)
Dell Optiplex GX110 PC

Symptoms with default setup from SBC after using Linksys installation aid...very sluggish performance. Connection becomes unusuable.

For one thing, SBC sets up your system assuming you have 1 computer. I went into the advanced setup on the modem and changed my setup to run PPPoE on the router. This did not help.

Making a long story short, I disabled the stateful inspection on the Linksys, moved PPPoE to my router and all runs better than ever. I am not too worried about the stateful inspection because I have a private network and all the other security on the Linksys is enabled.

Mike Harpe

Collapse -
Easy Solution Found

Ok, it's a setting, go to 192.168.1.1 to set it.

The lease is probably set to 1 day.

Collapse -
default: 10 minute lease
by lesliejs / May 11, 2005 1:58 PM PDT
In reply to: Easy Solution Found

you can increase lease time to any number of days or hours. To chnge this,go to 192.168.0.1, enter modem access code found underneath modem. Go to advanced settings, change lease time, save/apply changes.

Collapse -
Can you review?
by krechet / June 19, 2005 4:04 AM PDT

I got the cute solution with lease time
but can anybody review how to setup thhe router itself?

I just got SBC DSL day ago and can not find a way to setup my wireless router LinkSys WRT51AB

Can you review the procedures or refer to the website where it is described

SBC is not very happy to give me advises how to setup something they didn't sell me.
Thank you in advance
Alexandre

Collapse -
Can you review?
by krechet / June 19, 2005 2:54 PM PDT

I got the cute solution with lease time
but can anybody review how to setup thhe router itself?

I just got SBC DSL day ago and can not find a way to setup my wireless router LinkSys WRT51AB

Can you review the procedures or refer to the website where it is described

SBC is not very happy to give me advises how to setup something they didn't sell me.
Thank you in advance
Alexandre

Collapse -
Problem solved.. I think
by Capella / August 3, 2005 10:44 AM PDT
In reply to: Did you figure it out?

I noticed when hooking up my linksys router (BEFSR41) to the DSL modem SBC sent me (speadstream5100) that it appeared to be connecting to the DSL modem and retrieving network info but still nothing worked unless I was plugged directly into the DSL modem from my computer. I also noticed in the status information of the router that the DNS server numbers were wrong and I think it was passing the wrong info off too my computer and that this whole problem was a DNS issue.

To solve the problem I connected my computer directly to the DSL modem and accessed the DSL modem GUI through my web browser using the address 192.168.0.1. On the left side I clicked the button labeled ''Advanced'' then clicked on the subcatagory ''PPP location'' (at some point you will need to enter your modem access code which is found on the bottom of this particular DSL modem). Under the PPP location settings of your DSL modem you should have 3 settings....
1) The first one allows a single computer connection to the DSL modem that uses the info in the modem to log on to Yahoo DSL PPPoE.
2) The second choice allows an external PPPoE device to connect to the internet.
3) The third option is bridged mode

What I did was select the 2nd option and restarted the modem. You'll notice when you restart the DSL modem that the Internet light no longer lights up. That is because the DSL modem is no longer directly logging in to your SBC DSL connection using PPPoE like it used to. Then I changed my router to log on using PPPoE and entered my username (username@sbcglobal.net) and password. It connected!!! yay! Then I went to the status page of the router and the DNS server numbers were now correct. YAY!!!! My computer was still set to access the router via DCHP. I refreshed my lease and everything and YAY!! It connected!!! and what do you know.... now all my other computers have no problem connecting now as well!!!! YAY. I don't think I'll have any lease time problems because normally you shouldn't have those problems. Once you lose a lease it should renew it automatically as needed.

The original problem I was having was once I lost the DSL connection through the router the ONLY way I could fix it was by using the linksys disk. Non of the manual settings on the computer seemed to make a difference. Now everything works as expected. I no longer need the linksys disk to get things back up and running. YAY!!!

Collapse -
Help with SBS/Linksys Routher
by JessRuth / August 16, 2005 12:28 AM PDT

Let me first say I am not a technical expert. However our wireless Linksys routher stopped working one day last week for no apparent reason. My fiance and I almost broke up (not really but sounds dramatic) over the fact that I unplugged the router as I was having trouble and he blames me for said router failure. Happy Low and behold it is this SBC/Linksys router issue.

Call Linksys and they will walk you through changing your router IP address so it does not conflict with SBC. Once this is done, if the problem persists, you will have to call SBC and configure a bridge for a PPPOE.

There IS hope and it appears Capella has it figured out already but since I am a computer freshmen I will call SBC directly if my router stops working and have then talk me through it.

Jess

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.