Download.com Site Feedback forum

General discussion

Says I need to login when I am logged in.

by rpaler / February 19, 2010 8:05 AM PST

I installed CNET TechTracker ran a scan and it said I have 8 updates. When I go to view the updates on the webpage it says "You are not currently logged in to CNET. Please create an account below or log in to see your full TechTracker scan results." I'm logged in tried it using Chrome and Explore and I get the same message. What do I need to do?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Says I need to login when I am logged in.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Says I need to login when I am logged in.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Same issue
by wheels351972 / February 22, 2010 2:46 AM PST

IM having the same issue and I cant get around it and no answer from Cnet either. Beginning to not be a happy camper.

Collapse -
login
by rpaler / February 22, 2010 3:15 AM PST
In reply to: Same issue

thanks. I'm glad/pissed that I'm not the only one.

Collapse -
same issue
by wheels351972 / February 22, 2010 4:13 AM PST
In reply to: login

Trust me your not the only one. I was fine till I had to redo my computer all over and now it's saying that its unregistered and I am registered cuz im logged in and i even went as far as to re-register and redo my confirmation email link but it told me I was already confirmed so Im at a loss. I HAVE emailed support to no avail. They haven't emailed me back yet. So thought I would try the forums here. Well no luck here either especially if your still waiting for a reply.

Collapse -
Getting help with CNET TechTracker
by CNET_TechTracker / February 22, 2010 8:05 AM PST
In reply to: same issue

Hello to both of you! Sorry to hear about the trouble you are having. If you only just started experiencing this, and you are using a bookmark to access CNET TechTracker, it could be related to our most recent launch (Friday) where we changed the site navigation around very slightly. Your CNET TechTracker home page is now permanently located at http://www.cnet.com/techtracker/

rpaler: I have a member of our support team opening a ticket on your behalf to help you work through this. We may need more information about the circumstances surrounding this problem (e.g. has it been going on ever since you signed up, or did it just start?) so for your privacy's sake, it is best to reply to the support ticket which will be confirmed to your registered CNET e-mail address.

wheels351972: I am sorry to say that we have no support ticket in our system for you! Did you receive a confirmation e-mail from the system with a ticket number? We will be happy to look into this.
Otherwise, if this only started happening directly after you reformatted your computer, the reformat probably changed enough internal identifiers for your computer so that it is no longer recognized as the same computer by the TechTracker software. In addition, a reformat definitely would have wiped out the TechTracker registration information from our software. This is easy enough to rectify, usually just a matter of removing the old computer from your custom CNET TechTracker page, and then re-scanning while you are logged in. I also have someone from our team opening a ticket for you to help you out.

Thank you both for flagging us down!

Regards,
CNET TechTracker Support

Collapse -
Same issue
by wheels351972 / February 22, 2010 10:59 AM PST

Thank you for your help and time im glad to see that it is being worked on. So yeah I had to reformat my pc but what im not sure on is do I have you help me or goto the ticket incident # that was given to me as well?

Collapse -
removing the old computer from your custom CNET TechTracker
by wheels351972 / February 22, 2010 11:02 AM PST

How do I remove the old computer from my custom CNET TechTracker page?

Collapse -
update
by wheels351972 / February 22, 2010 12:45 PM PST

I removed Cnet TechTracker from my computer uninstalled it and reinstalled it and still same thing it scans just find but when it pops up it pops up with 2 available - unregistered. I HAVE an account with you folks that is registered and confirmed 2x lol. The scan took 10mins and i had more programs on this thing before I formatted it and it never took 10mins.

It still telling me to login but I can see behind that login window stuff that the 2 updates are available just cant get past that screen. If you would like SS's of what Im talking about i will send them just need an address to send to.

Collapse -
reinstall
by rpaler / February 22, 2010 10:05 PM PST
In reply to: update

I have done a uninstall and reinstall and get the same message.

Collapse -
remove a computer from CNET TechTracker

Removing a computer is easy, go to your installed software listing and click on the link that says: Manage computers (you will find this on the top right of the tabbed page), there is a wizard that will take you through the process.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
ISSUE RESOLVED
by wheels351972 / February 23, 2010 2:26 AM PST

Thank you for your reply to that question on how to remove a computer. Just I couldn't get to it at all.

As for you Rpaler and Techtracker that replied to this as my Subject states. I have resolved my issue between TechTracker support and myself.

Here are the steps "I" took myself on my own when I realized finally which URL to use lol as follows:

1). Uninstalling Cnet TechTracker
2). Removing left over registry entries
3). Clearing the browsers EVERYTHING (cache, cookies saved passwords)
4). Rebooting the computer
5). Being logged out of Cnet (make sure to logout of TechTracker and that your NOT automatically logging in if so remove the automatic checkmark)
6). Going to http://www.cnet.com/techtracker and Downloading the program again
7). Letting it scan
8). Then logging in I was able to login properly.

Im not sure if it was a registry entry that was holding me up or "MY" guess is a caching issue with the browser of either
a). The URL in cache
b). The Username and Password

Thank you for your patience in this matter as I was not really wanting to use anything other then Cnet Tracker.

Willie

Collapse -
Thank you for following up!
by CNET_TechTracker / February 23, 2010 3:55 AM PST
In reply to: ISSUE RESOLVED

Willie,

Thanks so much for writing your experience up in such detail. You are correct in that it's difficult to pinpoint which solution did the trick in this situation. So far, we have been unable to duplicate your problem over here, but we are still working on it. In the meanwhile, we apologize for your frustration, and appreciate the feedback!

Should you require further assistance, the quickest way to reach our support team is to open another support ticket (click the "Email Support" tab at http://cnet.custhelp.com).

Collapse -
Screen Shots
by wheels351972 / February 23, 2010 8:07 AM PST

I have screen shots of what i was referring to as my problem if you are curious. Just need an email address to attach them to and i can show you cuz in the event htis wasnt' resolved I was already prepared to send you Screen shots.

Collapse -
Glad to help
by wheels351972 / February 23, 2010 8:09 AM PST

Im glad to be of service in anyway I can to anyone else out there since I know I wasn't the only one experiencing this same EXACT issue as I had and I know just exactly how frustrating it is to want to update you programs but cant get to the site.

Sincerely,
Willie

Collapse -
You can post your images here...
by John.Wilkinson / February 24, 2010 2:36 AM PST
In reply to: Glad to help

Free services such as ImageShack.us let you upload images without registration, then provide you with a direct link that you can post back to this thread.

If you have an open support ticket, you can also choose to attach the images to an email reply directly to the representative that is assigned to your case, once he/she makes initial contact.

Regards,
John

Collapse -
Screen Shots
by wheels351972 / February 24, 2010 4:39 AM PST

I tried to reply back in email directly but it wont let me. Have to use the form on the website to reply back instead.

So unless someone from Cnet replies back here with a direct link for them I cant show them what I WAS seeing.

Collapse -
Getting the cold sholder from CNET
by Wibaux / March 3, 2010 3:01 PM PST
In reply to: same issue

I have the same issue. TechTracker is not letting me add a computer and I had only 1 before. I put in a tech call but got no response. Is there anyone there at CNET?

Collapse -
Where are my updates?
by Dennis Thekan / February 27, 2010 3:22 AM PST

I think I have the same problem. I just installed TechTracker, ran it, restarted my computer, created an account and logged in. The top of the page says welcome (my name), but I don't see any list of software. If I click the My software updates tab at the bottom, it takes me to the download now page. I have an iMac, running OS 10.6.2 and Safari 4.0.4.

Collapse -
same same and frustrating!!
by deckhand45 / March 3, 2010 6:26 AM PST

I downloded and ran techtracker and got the results and it says I am not logged in but yes I am. It seems to be a loop!
I uninstalled, ran ccleaner and reinstalled to get the same thing!
What up??
I run ff 3.xx on a toughbook with a core 2 "7500" and 4 gigs of RAM in windows XP

Collapse -
What you need to do
by wheels351972 / March 3, 2010 10:05 AM PST

You need to go into the registry and delete ANY reference to Cnet Tech Tracker. goto www.acelogix.com and download registry finder install it and run it and then delete what it finds. reboot the computer and try it again but you need to clear your systems cache and all that from Internet Explorer or what ever you use for a browser.

Collapse -
logon loop,
by deckhand45 / March 3, 2010 12:52 PM PST
In reply to: What you need to do

Thanks!! I'll give it a go as soon as I finish with the two machines ahead of mine that need fixed and I'll let you know.
Thanks again!!

Collapse -
BECAREFUL using it though.
by wheels351972 / March 3, 2010 10:35 PM PST
In reply to: logon loop,

Becareful using this thing though. BE SURE your deleting JUST Cnet Tracker and if your not sure DONT touch it.

Collapse -
OK.
by deckhand45 / March 4, 2010 10:22 AM PST

I sure will. I'm no tech, just a fairly decent "power user".
I have gotten into some trouble screwing around with the registry.
Thank you much for your suggestions and time!

Collapse -
becareful
by wheels351972 / March 4, 2010 10:41 AM PST
In reply to: OK.

I dont even consider myself a power user I just know that I have messed around with things and have had to reinstall windows lol. So the registry you make sure all the entries you see say Cnet Tech Tracker and then delete them and what you cant delete just reboot and then clear the browsers cache and stuff and you should work again.

Collapse -
Says I'm Not Logged In When I Am, So No TechTracker Results
by MisterBill36 / March 10, 2010 8:53 AM PST
In reply to: becareful

My problem has been described several times above already. To TechTracker Support Team, either fix it or turn in your badge. You need to contact each one of us who have turned cartwheels trying to use your product, apologie profusely, then walk us through your fix. I refuse to mess with registries and dangerous crap on your behalf. Fix it, tell me its is fixed, apologize to all of us, or save us the trouble and just send your product in to the Crappy Unreliable Software site.
And no, this is not a new computer, nor a newly formatted one or any of your other lame variables that might hide your product's inadequacies.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.