Computer Help forum

General discussion

Saving Outlook email to a flash drive

by 2begs / May 1, 2007 9:28 AM PDT

How can I copy my Outlook emails to a flash drive? I bounce from computer to computer, most of which are not connected to the net or networked. I want to be able to temporarily access my e-mail from any of these computers without the files being installed on every computer I use. Ideally, I would like to have Outlook automatically save a copy of my e-mails to a flash drive. Can this be done without buying additional software? If not, what software would you recommend?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Saving Outlook email to a flash drive
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Saving Outlook email to a flash drive
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Portable Thunderbird
by jackson dougless / May 1, 2007 9:39 AM PDT

Trying to do this using Outlook or Outlook Express would be an enormous PITA. Maybe not even possible depending on security restrictions some of the systems may have in place.

However, you're in luck with Portable Thunderbird. It's a version of the Mozilla Thunderbird email client designed to run off of a USB flash drive. Meaning all your email messages will be stored on that flash drive along with the program to access them. The fact that Thunderbird has far better provisions for dealing with spam, is less susceptible, to email based worms and viruses, and all the other handy features are just a nice added bonus.

You can also get Portable Firefox, so you can have a consistent set of bookmarks, extensions, cookies, saved logins, etc for all your web browsing needs.

The other viable option would be to get a web based email account, such as Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail, etc, and divert all your email to it. Then all you need is a web browser to access your email.

Collapse -
Any Webmail Will Do What You Want
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / May 1, 2007 1:30 PM PDT

Any site such as Yahoo.com, Hotmail, or any other allows you to keep your mail on the internet and access from any computer in the world. Many ISP's have the option to use webmail.

Although Outlook is a good tool for a stationary business computer, but it's more trouble than it's worth to routinely import/export all your contacts, calendar, and e-mail messages from one computer to another using a flash drive or any other method of moving the files. I have yet to see a U3 flash drive program for Outlook.

On the other hand, if you're gathering your e-mail from an Exchange server, there are methods to connect directly to the server and use your own personal mail while connected to the server.. You'll need to speak to the Exchange server administrator to get a password and a link for remotely connecting.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
It's called IMAP
by jackson dougless / May 1, 2007 10:25 PM PDT

And it's existed longer than there's been an Exchange Server. It's just rarely used, because it requires considerably more server resources to simple POP. A single server could handle dozens more clients using POP compared to IMAP.

Microsoft is not a company of original ideas. They either copy and adapt existing ideas, or buy a product and slap their name on it.

Collapse -
Not IMAP Here... Currently We're Using...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / May 2, 2007 2:41 PM PDT
In reply to: It's called IMAP

..an Outlook Web Access system which connects to the Exchange server using the browser. (No need to configure a traditional mail client such as is needed with most IMAP setups.) . Once username and password are entered, the resulting screen is very much "Outlook like" but used from within the browser's interface.. The Exchange server's address list, mail folders, calendar, and all other information can be accessed using the browser. It tends to be a little slower than IMAP configurations but it takes no setup time at all.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Same thing
by jackson dougless / May 2, 2007 11:05 PM PDT

I'm just telling you where the idea came from, not necessarily what it is. Web based email systems are all offshoots of ideas pioneered with IMAP.

I've also used the Exchange web email system, and my god is it every horrendously slow. It's like Microsoft tried to build the entire Windows interface out of high resolution graphics, and lots of client side scripting. Even over a 10Mbit LAN connection that thing was a pain to use. You have my deepest sympathies for having to use that godforsaken pile of crap on a regular basis. The fact that you haven't been driven insane yet and gone on a tri-state killing spree is no small wonder.

Collapse -
(NT) LOL- Agreed!
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / May 3, 2007 9:38 AM PDT
In reply to: Same thing
Collapse -
portable outlook
by makwanavicky92 / March 23, 2010 11:17 PM PDT

Hi Friends

for Outlook through Pen Drive or Portability / Mobility tool for Outlook

Visit : www.portableoutlook.com

Enjoy

Vicky

Collapse -
re: saving outlook email to a flash drive
by ramarc / May 2, 2007 12:28 AM PDT

are you using Outlook or Outlook Express?
do the other pcs have any mail software?
how many emails do you have (a few hundred, a few thousand)?

Collapse -
Question update
by 2begs / May 2, 2007 3:36 AM PDT

Since many of the computers I find myself using do not have internet access, web based e-mail programs such as yahoo, MSN, or G-mail are not an option. The company insists on using Microsoft Outlook for all e-mail.

Collapse -
Then you're screwed
by jackson dougless / May 2, 2007 4:24 AM PDT
In reply to: Question update

To put it bluntly, you're screwed. The only option you have is trying to convince the IT people that you deserve a server based account, and since that likely creates licensing headaches (and potentially added costs)... Good luck with that. I hope you are either related to some top exec or dating their daughter/son.

The only other remote possibility is getting yourself some sort of PDA that can download email messages from Outlook. Of course this would require convincing the IT people to install a special program on at least your main computer, so you could sync the PDA. So I refer you back to the blood relation or dating the very beloved child of some top executive hope.

Collapse -
Having read through this thread...
by Edward ODaniel / May 3, 2007 9:05 AM PDT

it appears now that you don't really plan on accessing email from the computers but simply reading email you have already downloaded at your own computer.

If that is the case all you really need to do is COPY your own Outlook.pst file onto a flash drive. At any other computer that also has Outlook you can open Outlook, click on the File menu then Open and select PST files. Browse to the flash drive and open your own PST file. It will open as Archive Folder and allow you to read the emails.

If you want to access your email from another computer you would have to either set up an identity or simply a new email account on the existing identity. This would download your emails to the computer's inbox and you could then MOVE them to your own PST file (the one you opened that shows as Archive File) and they will be available back on your regular computer through the same open and copy process.

Now, you just have to ask yourself if it is worth it.

Collapse -
try P.I. Protector Mobility Suite
by ramarc / May 3, 2007 11:44 AM PDT
Collapse -
Success!
by 2begs / May 7, 2007 1:08 AM PDT

This one did the trick.
Thank you all for your help.

Collapse -
Try looking at U3 software offerings
by SSidlov / May 2, 2007 7:07 AM PDT

There are several possible software offerings from U3 software at U3.Com which is installed on many USB memory sticks these days that may do the trick either by being your email client or copying the data to the usb drive. Most of them are for-pay software, and I can't say that I use any of them, but one of them may do the trick. Take a look at Carry It Easy Plus, and DMailer Sync Plus as two examples that claim to do what you ask.

http://software.u3.com/ProductCategoryList.aspx?CategoryId=15&Selection=4&lang=en-US

Collapse -
outlook express yo flash drive
by 5766maureen / June 29, 2009 3:53 AM PDT

Help with the above

Collapse -
microssoft home edition
by 5766maureen / June 29, 2009 3:55 AM PDT

how to put outlook express on to flashdrive

Collapse -
Re: OE on flash drive.
by Kees Bakker / June 29, 2009 4:59 AM PDT

In OE, go to Tools>Maintenance and click on Archive folder, than Edit and browse to the folder on the USB-stick that your email archive should be on.

Kees

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.