Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Saving a Web Page to my desktop

by user429 / December 18, 2007 8:47 PM PST

I have Windows XP on my computer. When I have a web page (any web page) that I want to save, I click ?File? (on top) and then click ?Save As? and then type in a file name and then click Save, a screen comes up stating ?This Web Page could not be saved?. Can anyone tell me why this is happening? Thank you very much.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Saving a Web Page to my desktop
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Saving a Web Page to my desktop
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by Cursorcowboy / December 18, 2007 9:30 PM PST

1. The MSKB article [Q198997] discusses the behavior that can occur sometimes because images and other documents are not saved correctly if the Web address (URL) associated with the document is dynamically constructed by either JavaScript or VBScript within the Web page and error messages that are rendered. IE does not parse the script in a Web page when saving the Web page and so it is unable to determine when an image or document URL is constructed from within a script. It is suggest to save Web pages locally instead by clicking Add to Favorites on the Favorites menu and then clicking the Make available offline check box. However, are there any space constraints on the hard drive?

2. The article [Q235589] states that when you attempt to save a Web page using the Web Page complete (*.htm;*.html) or Web Archive single file (*.mht) options in IE, you may receive the follow error message when you attempt to save a Web page that was created using Excel 2000:

Error Saving Web Page.

This Web page could not be saved.

Note: One of the Microsoft Partners wrote the following, which in my opinion is not fully explained in the reference provided nor have I found a reported solution - only that this is a possibility and to tell the Web Site Manager to get their act together:

Quote: "A probable cause is that the web page contains a link to a StyleSheet which resides on a different server than the one where the page is located. After some recent security update (MS02-023 Patch or later), Internet Explorer blocks access to StyleSheet code if the code is on a different domain/server. This is why the page fails to be saved. For more information about MS02-023, please see: "MS02-023: Patch Available to Disable Frames in the Restricted Sites Zone (Q322928)." Unquote

3. The article [Q243254] discusses saving a Web page using the Web Page Complete option where the page has to be completely parsed and re-written to contain local paths for all page resources. As the page is re-written it is saved in the most efficient form possible. According to the WWW Consortiums (W3C) HTML 4.0 spec -- the quotes around all attribute tags are recommended but not required:

? "In certain cases, authors may specify the value of an attribute without any quotation marks. The attribute value may only contain letters (a-z and A-Z), digits (0-9), hyphens (ASCII decimal 45), and periods (ASCII decimal 46). We recommend using quotation marks even when it is possible to eliminate them."

? When required, IE will include the quotes in the page.

? If you use IE as a parsing engine, you should consider using the DHTML Editing Control. This control does not remove the quote marks from HTML when saving files.

Caveats:. You're simply not saving a page of information you're seeing:

a. Access this "URL" that opens in a separate window.

b. Click File, Save As from the main menu, and save the page [Web Page complete (*.htm,*.html) - Western European (Windows)] to your Windows\Temp folder as USATODAY -- delete everything from the filename line except this word.

c. After this page saves, right-click Start, select Explorer. Progress to the Windows\Temp folder and ascertain that the file saved is there. Also note for your information, you will find at least a second folder labeled, C:\WINDOWS\Temp\USATODAY_files consisting of twenty to thirty files that make up the entire save.

Collapse -
Re: saving webpages
by Kees Bakker / December 18, 2007 9:37 PM PST

What browser and what version: Internet Explorer, Firefox, Opera?

Alas, sometimes "any page" means "some pages". Let's start simple. Go to
It's a very simple and totally harmless page (I wrote it myself).

Then (assuming you've got IE) do File>Save As and try all 4 formats you can select in the dropdown box. Save them in My Documents, for example, and - if that succeeds - also in your desktop folder. What exactly happens?

Of course, you can delete everything you saved when you're ready with your experiments.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.