Storage forum

Question

Save My Thumb Drive

by MaxLauYH / September 2, 2013 7:24 PM PDT

My Thumb Drive out of no where can't be read by any system, from PC to Laptop. All my hard work lost, is there any possible way to get my data back. when my thumb drive can't be detach at all?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Save My Thumb Drive
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Save My Thumb Drive
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Re: thumb drive
by Kees_B Forum moderator / September 2, 2013 7:49 PM PDT
In reply to: Save My Thumb Drive

A thumb drive is a nice way to transport data between PC's and also as a medium for backup (siince it's only one of your backup media it's not a problem if the data on it is lost then).

But it definitely is a bad place to store your only copy of data, especially if it contains the result of 'hard work'. Although it's better than an external hard disk, your experience proves that it isn't fail-safe. Nothing is fail-safe, by the way.

If your work is worth more than, say, USD 1000, you can consider to contact drivesavers.com or some other trusted data recovery company.

Kees

Collapse -
Answer
Rule of thumb
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 3, 2013 5:17 AM PDT

While I always put it under a microscope I'm encountering a lot of folk that demand details beyond what can be written here. For example solder can crack and under the high power microscope we look for that and touch up the solder work.

But nobody that doesn't do this today should attempt this when this is the last copy. For the uninitiated you tell them to contact drivesavers and repeat these are great ways to transport but never a place for the last copy.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
What are your results?
by Willy / September 7, 2013 12:25 AM PDT

Any errors or some display of why it can't do what it did before.

Google for rescue/recovery s/w and check the results. However, if it can't even see that a device is really there, you're hosed. ALWAYS have multiple sources stored of your precious data, now you know why.

adios -----Willy Shocked

Collapse -
Answer
Try chilling it for 20 minutes in a freezer, then see if the
by Ziks511 / October 6, 2013 2:05 PM PDT

files are accessible. I don't know why this works, but sometimes it does. Keep the chill times short, no more than 20 minutes, and check. If no, then set it aside for an hour or so and try again. Don't give up. I managed to get data back after 6 weeks of multiple tries.

A drive like this may become usable after a period of time of non-use, but that's not a certain thing. It happened with one of mine.

Rob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET's Tech Minute

Top 3 news reading apps

With the latest tech, getting news delivered to your phone is easier than ever. Here's a roundup of apps that are customizable and useful for getting the news.