TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Save movies from DirecTV to laptop

by OCToolguy / April 11, 2010 9:01 AM PDT

The hard drive on my failing DirecTv DVR has a lot of stuff that we need to save before sending the DVR back to DirecTV. I need the simple explanation of how to do a transfer to my Toshiba laptop running Windows XP Home Edition. Also while on this subject when we order a movie from DirecTV On Demand it is only good for 24 hours. Is there a way to save it to my laptop? Thanks for any help that you all might be able to give this old guy with a little tech saavy but not too much.

Ray

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Save movies from DirecTV to laptop
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Save movies from DirecTV to laptop
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
My logic says no;
by ahtoi / April 11, 2010 4:19 PM PDT

Otherwise why would they put a time limitation on these movies.

Collapse -
So, now what?????????????
by OCToolguy / April 12, 2010 6:00 AM PDT

Ok, DirecTV is sending me a new DVR so I took the HD out of the old one and connected it to my laptop USB. There are nothing but files on the drive that can't be copied or moved or anything. So, can anybody tell what to do next to try to save all the stuff that is recorded on the drive? If there is anyone out there that can help me out I would be most appreciative. I tried opening with Windows Movie Maker but the files are not recognized. Am I screwed or what? Thanks to anyone that can help,

Ray

Collapse -
Just so you know.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 12, 2010 6:05 AM PDT

Most DVRs are designed to not "leak" recorded content. This is by design. The forum policies FORBID discussing how to get around such but if there is a proper way, DirectTV will tell you how.
Bob

Collapse -
Yes, ask DirecTV to help
by Dan Filice / April 12, 2010 6:28 AM PDT
In reply to: Just so you know.

Bob is correct. Ask DirecTV for help. You will be purchasing another DVR from DirecTV and I am sure your situation isn't the first with the same dilemma. Maybe they have a way to transfer the movie files when you bring your old DVR into a field office. Or, how about calling DirecTV first to see what they say.

Collapse -
I don't think so!
by OCToolguy / April 12, 2010 6:48 AM PDT

I was on the phone yesterday with two different techs and they both gave me the same sort of anwser. Sorry but all is lost. I can't believe that there isn't some what to connect the HD via USB to the new machine and watch what is there. There are two USB ports on the machine. One is on the front behind a little door and the other is in the rear. I don't know if they are for what I am hoping or if they are there for some future use. If anybody knows please explain what to do. I am not trying to pirate anything but just watch some shows that I can't replace.

Ray

Collapse -
Part of the problem is legal
by Pepe7 / April 12, 2010 8:20 AM PDT
In reply to: I don't think so!

It's not as simple as having USB ports unfortunately.

Certain broadcasts have certain rights which are negotiated with the providers, whether they be satellite, cable or over the air broadcasters/networks. PPV is the most restricted as far as what you can do w/ something you've viewed on a device provided by a content provider. Such premium content is generally 5C encrypted AFAIK, which means you cannot transfer it as you've illustrated. Directv doesn't make their money so much by moving content around to a third party device for subscribers, although they might help facilitate a drive swap as has been suggested, provided you still were a customer.

As far as other non-premium shows are concerned, you may be able to watch in one of two ways. Obtain them either the local library, amazon (etc.) via VHS or DVD, or perhaps online at a place like Hulu.com that streams some of the old shows.

If you want any help finding some things from your old HDD in other (legal) places feel free to ask. I just need the titles. Separate thread, please Wink

Collapse -
The only way is the old analog way.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 12, 2010 9:15 AM PDT
In reply to: I don't think so!

You hook it with terrible old analog rca jacks to your old VHS recorder and if they allow it, record it there. If that's allowed the newer way is to DVD recorders but all this is locked content.
Bob

Collapse -
DVR to pc
by OCToolguy / April 12, 2010 9:33 AM PDT

The problem is the machine is dead. It won't play. I'm waiting for a new machine to arrive. The answer that I got from DirecTV is that the DVR won't playback any of the stuff that I have recorded without a signal from the satellite. Well, I have a signal to my other receiver but it isn't a DVR. Just a basic unit. The DVR died a terrible death so I took it apart to get to the HD. I have the HD in a USB box and have it hooked to my laptop but the files that are on it are not readable by anything but another DirecTV DVR so I guess I am screwed. Once I get the new machine up and running I will contact DirecTV and see if they can help me out. Probably not though because the people at DirecTV are only trained to do the most basic things. I don't know if I can get to the upper level techs. But I'll give it a try. Thanks for all the input so far.

Ray

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech Tip

Stuck without Internet and want to watch movies?

CNET shows you how to download movies and TV shows onto your device using Amazon Prime so you'll always be entertained.