TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Satellite Upconversion or TV Upconversion???

by gportiz / November 27, 2007 8:26 AM PST

I recently purchased a Panasonic TH-42PZ700U and I have a DirecTV HD-DVR connected to it. For 480i content, should I allow the DirecTV Reciever to upconvert the signal to 1080i or should I send the signal in its native resolution and allow the Television to upconvert the signal. I'm not sure which will provide the better picture?

Thank you.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Satellite Upconversion or TV Upconversion???
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Satellite Upconversion or TV Upconversion???
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Short answer. . .
by Coryphaeus / November 27, 2007 9:12 AM PST

Try it, which do you like better? "Better picture" is purely in the eye of the beholder.

Collapse -
panny picture quality
by daveslk1 / November 27, 2007 3:39 PM PST

hi. I bought the same tv and I am very dissapointed with the picture quality. I used the recommended settings from the cnet review. It looks very blurry on my directv sd dvr.I bought a samsung bdp 1400 blu ray player and dvds look very blurry and noisy. I have yet to try a blu ray disc. any ideas on how i can improve the picture quality? the blu ra player is supposed to upconvert the dvd signal and make them look better on the plasma. but right now my old tv has better quality than a new 1080p plasma.does this tv only look good with an hd signal? how can i make my dvds look good with this tv? thanks in advance and sorry for the long post.

david

Collapse -
Set your Direct TV box to 1080!!!!
by jcrobso / November 28, 2007 12:37 AM PST

The MPG4 stream is at 1080i, If you set it 480i you WILL lose detail.
Your Panny then has to upscale it 1080p.
If you send you Panny a 1080i signal it only has to deinterlace the video, no further upscaling is needed.
Upscaled SD video will never look as good HD video. John

Collapse -
panny picture quality
by daveslk1 / November 30, 2007 6:24 AM PST

Hello all. Here is an update. my directv rec is not hd. I have a samnsung bdp1400 blu ray player. I watched the blu ray of spider man and it does look really good on some scenes but others not much better than regular dvd on a standard tv. I was expecting a huge improvement over regular dvd. I have it hooked up with an hdmi cable. Would any one who has this tv like to share their picture settings? I used the settings on the cnet review, but it is too bright. had to turn down the picture setting. thanks in advance.

david

Collapse -
I HAVE MY NEW PANNY SET AT THE "CINEMA MODE" AS MY ROOM.....
by Riverledge / December 1, 2007 2:28 PM PST
In reply to: panny picture quality

IS RATHER DARK. Remember the lower the settings the longer the plasma will last, not to mention lower your electricity bill.

Best wishes and holidays,

Riverledge.

Collapse -
HD DVR upscaling or TV upscaling (to 1080i/p)?
by brianmeek2 / July 20, 2008 2:32 PM PDT

"gportiz" asked a good question, but no one seemed to answer it directly...

What gives a better picture? SD programming delivered to an HD TV in its native 480i or 480p signal (upscaled to 1080i/p at the TV), or sent to the HD TV as 1080i (having been upscaled to 1080i by the HD DVR)?

I'm sure the answer depends on the TV in question - Sony highlights a "Digital Reality Creation" ability in their modern XBR series that does sophisticated upscale to 1080p. Is this worth the money, or can a cheaper LCD with the HD-DVR+ sending 1080i look as good?

Summary question: how good is the 480i/SD signal to 1080i upscaling on the DirecTV HD-DVR - HR21-700 (or the HD-DVR HR20-700)?

Or, do most modern TVs do a better job filling their own screens with a 480i/p signal?

For most, I expect, the answer will be "try it both ways and see what you prefer". Too bad this is not much help in making a blind purchase decision...

Those of you with a modern 40"-50" XBR Sony LCD on DirecTV - can you all tell us if DRC-to-1080p from a 480i or 480p source looks noticeably better than SD programing coming from the DVR in 1080i (when you tell the HD DVR+ that your TV only supports 1080i).

Collapse -
I use native resolution
by kcfvegas / July 20, 2008 5:02 PM PDT

I own a Pioneer 5080, with the DirecTV HD DVR and I like the picture much more with the picture output set at native resolution. I tried it both ways, and with the Pioneer, I found that the TV does a much better job at up converting the 480i signal. The one down side to letting the TV do the up conversion is that it takes longer for the TV to change the channels, because it has to change its processing. So when you change the channels at first you get what looks like a scrambled channel while the TV is changing its resolution setting.

Collapse -
which component "upconverts" best?
by brianmeek2 / July 21, 2008 10:43 AM PDT

Thanks! OK, it sounds like most TVs will have better "upconverting" capability than DirecTV's HD DVR (or any service provider's set-top-box) will... I saw a thread in a forum over on hdtvmagazine.com where contributors assumed the same thing.

Bottom line, if watching SD broadcasts on the big home theater screen is important, consider buying a higher-end HDTV set that does this particular thing well. Seems like one of the key differentiating features for HDTVs for the time being...

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech Tip

Stuck without Internet and want to watch movies?

CNET shows you how to download movies and TV shows onto your device using Amazon Prime so you'll always be entertained.