TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Satellite TV providers--who to get?

by ahi / January 12, 2005 6:15 AM PST

After years of watching over-the-air tv programming, I have given-in and plan to get satellite service. My old analog tv died a glorious death. I have narrowed my choices for a new tv and now want to find out what thoughts people have over DirectTV, Dish Network and Voom. Since all the tv's on my list are HD ready, my next decision would be which satellite service. I was initially looking into Voom, but read a few negative comments; primarily customer service and installation issues. Have those gotten better? Once customers got their issues worked out about installation, it seems many like the Voom HD programming.

How is the HD programming for the big two satellite tv providers?

Lastly, any advise on what to watch out for in getting satellite service is greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Satellite TV providers--who to get?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Satellite TV providers--who to get?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Direct TV v Dish and Providers
by sheldon9 / January 26, 2005 11:49 AM PST

I've done a side-by-side comparison and found that directtv (on the second level) offers much more than dish on its second level.

I have only been able to find online opinions about rapidsatellite.com and overall, they don't look so good.

I'd definitely appreciate any suggestions/advice to be sent to me at:

katzmandudotcom@yahoo.com

Many Thanks!

Collapse -
Dish Network third party issues
by jerry hahn / January 20, 2007 3:05 AM PST

Dish Network 3rd party services are the worst I have ever experienced. My wife bought not only the TV services but also the internet. Internet services are sooooo bad I finally disconnected it - as in failed to work altogether. When I asked for my money back, they said I had disconnected the service and that they had to make a service call and found it disconnected, therefore had not obligation and would not repay it. Also, I travel a lot. If the service is not used for a month, it was almost always down when I returned.

We also had Dish installed at our vacation home. The sevice man had a very negative attitude and felt inconvenienced through the whole process, especially when I described where I wanted it installed. When he left, there were cut wire fragments, cable connectors, terminations laying all over my driveway.

I will not describe my true feelings after these horrific experiences, I will only state that I will NEVER use this company again.

J Hahn

Collapse -
Dish Network third party issues
by halerisu / January 21, 2007 9:17 AM PST

Sir. You need to call Dish Network Coustermer Service.The techs. employee# is on the contract you signed,explain to thrm your complete problem with dish and see if thay give you satifaction.

Collapse -
Dish Network has many issues for local program
by Greg_Li / January 20, 2010 12:40 AM PST

If you also want to watch local programs, never go to DishNetwork. Since DishNetwork can not provide local programs for long times and they always claim that it's not their issue. It's really terrible!

Collapse -
Don't select DishNetwork if you also want to watch some loca
by Greg_Li / January 20, 2010 12:44 AM PST

If you also wish to watch some local programs, don't select DishNetwork. They can not provide for a long time

Collapse -
Satellite TV providers
by jcrobso / February 1, 2005 1:02 AM PST

I have had Dish network for five years and I'm very happy
with it. I just upgraded to the Dish PVR. Customer service is very good.
I belive that Voom was just bougth out by Dish network.
Dish has a DHTV promo at the link below.
Now the ball is in the Direct TV cort. John

http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/products/system/index.shtml

Collapse -
TO know more details visit this site
by walter0515 / September 25, 2009 4:42 PM PDT
In reply to: Satellite TV providers

Click Here to Know More

Collapse -
?
by 50y/o / September 26, 2009 2:59 AM PDT

nothing there...

Collapse -
Dish Network is the Best
by dlh0808 / February 2, 2005 7:18 AM PST

I have used numerous cable providers and find none better than Dish Network. They have great reception and channels for a cheap price. I highly recommend! Here is a website that runs some promotions for their satellite services:

http://www.allsat.com/?kbid=6100

Collapse -
I use dish network - they are OK
by smdork / February 18, 2005 5:50 AM PST

We have had dish network for about 2 years now. I like them OK. They have a pretty good price for monthly service and all, but when it comes to customer service, I think they stink.

They had to cancel on us the day they were supposed to install, and moved us back, and every time something breaks, it is a $100 service fee for someone to come out and look at your installation. One time they told us over the phone that we would have to have servise because of some problem, but I went outside and moved a flower growing in front of our reciever, and then everything was fine.

The only real thing I don't like about satelite TV is that you can't watch 1 channel, and tape another channel like yo can with cable. You also have to have the reciever, so that is one more thing eating up power.

Overall I do like all of the channel selection we get though. It is basically the best in town at half the cost of cable.

Collapse -
dish network sucks
by 3luke3 / February 19, 2005 2:35 AM PST

I just cancelled my dish network service today. Their service stinks & they actually installed the WRONG receivers on setup day so I can't even receive HD programming now. My wife signed for it before we went on a ski trip... when we got back & they said it was too late to fix anything & they weren't willing to take the hit to upgrade our receivers (even though any receiver was supposed to be free on install). So I say screw them. they suck

Collapse -
Dish Network
by unaweep / February 24, 2005 7:42 AM PST
In reply to: dish network sucks

Has anyone sued Dish to recover their start up fees. I'm a lawyer and will be filing suit to recover the $500.00 they billed me for the service that never worked.

Collapse -
the dishnetwork sucks!
by rizzalee / March 20, 2005 2:43 PM PST
In reply to: Dish Network

yeah, dishnetwork has screwed my family so bad, from day one the dish hasnt worked in 2 out of our 4 rooms and the guys trying to repair them dont know anything about it. Now they have just billed us 100 dollars saying htat it was our fault that something came unplugged when it obviously wasnt us. We told them that we refused to pay and they simply said that they would charge the credit card regardless. Does anyone know what my options are. oh yeah and im stuck with it cuz were signed to that 12month thing.

Collapse -
Options
by taboma. / March 23, 2005 3:33 PM PST
In reply to: the dishnetwork sucks!

rizzalee, you are never the less forced to paying them for their servive once you give them your credit card number. The only way is to write to your credit card service and document the problem with the Dish Network.

With proper paperwork, maybe your credit card service will get you a credit. First thing to do is to quit the Dish Network and to get in touch with your credit card company along with a letter to Dish Network.
Document all of this. Send all your documentation to your credit card company. Have your credit card company stop payment to Dish Network!
Without the documentation, your dredit card company cannot do a thing for you!

I had a problem with Microsost Internet Explorer three years ago, constantly billing me for over a year for service that I had never used or signed up for. Turned out to be a deal with an electronic retail chain that gave me a 30-day trial to Microsuck that I never signed up for. Microsuck had my credit card number through FAST FINDS. Contacted my credit card company and also Microsoft disputing the charges.
After a years frustration I finally owed nothing and Microsuck closed my account and any payment from my card holder.
One of the representatives from my credit card company suggested, NEVER EVER give a service an open-end to charge you for anything! This credit card service co. sees it all the time and there is a on-going problem U.S. wide.

I also NEVER shop Fast Finds ever! Plus you can receive a better deal at Amazon.com.

Hope this helps you.

Kevin

Collapse -
what to do with the unfair charge
by ilavinsky / June 29, 2005 12:53 AM PDT

Call the credit card company immediately and dispute the charge. They won't charge the account until the dispute is settled either way. If you have a one year contact, you might be stuck. You could see a lawyer and try to break it, claiming breach of service, but that would probably cost you as much as the yearly contract.

Collapse -
IS it DISH Network or a Retailer for DISH Network?
by EagleSAT / July 2, 2005 4:21 PM PDT

DISH Network has an extensive base of retailers that sell, market and install their services for consumers such as yourself.

It sounds to me that you are dealing with a retailer vs DISH Network directly.

As retailers we are bound to certain business rules with DISH Network. For example, we are responsible for providing six months of installation warranty to our customers. IF you feel you did not get a professional installation you may call DISH Network at 800-333-3474 and request a QA inspection of your installation. My experience with this process is you will get taken care of.

Collapse -
Dish Network Billing Department Nightmare
by katnralph / April 13, 2005 5:44 AM PDT

I haven't tried the lawsuit route yet, but may be calling a lawyer to help me mediate my current dispute if I don't receive satisfaction soon.

DISH has just notified a collection agency of an equipment fee they erroneously charged on my account, even though I returned the equipment after cancelling within the time limit. They admit that the fee was charged in error, but only verbally. I'm left to trust that the collection situation will work itself out on its own.

What really gets me is that:
1. They didn't even contact me about the fee until April 5, when I returned the equipment on January 12.
2. They reported the alleged "balance" to an outside collection agency 3 days AFTER they initially contacted me about the oustanding fee, and, upon further investigation, reversed the fee they admitted they shouldn't have charged in the first place.
3. They refused to send any kind of written notification that these charges were in error, and expected me to be satisfied that, if given ample time to process the fee reversal (already over a week old), my account would eventually show no payment due.

I've just submitted a detailed letter to Mike Kelly, the Executive VP of Customer Service, but, if I don't hear from him in the next couple of days, I'll be escalating to an attorney, the Better Business Bureau, and perhaps the State's Attorney General.

Collapse -
They're all the same apparently.
by mellowde / July 27, 2005 1:56 AM PDT

I had similar problems with Direct TV (see my post above). The fix is in! Apparently Dish and Direct use the same play book when it comes to dealing with the public. They believe rightly or wrongly that they've got us by the you know whats and treat us accordingly. Not until they become sued to pieces will either clean up their act. I'm surprised that the feds haven't filed consumer fraud cases against both dish and direct for their bad behavior. I can see a mistake being made but not always and always in their favor. I finally gave up on small dish satellite and went to the cable (which is only marginally better when it comes to billing and service. I understand large dish satellite is still a great bargain after the initial investment and of course theres always the antenna..

Collapse -
The incompentence is truly mind boggling
by drhaddix / August 15, 2008 11:19 AM PDT

I called two days ago to sign up for HD service; I was quoted $125 fee and scheduled for today, Friday, between 1 and 5. Cool, I was off, sounded good.

You know the story. No tech showed. About 6 pm, I call Dish. I'm told "Oh, your service appointment is Sunday afternoon, not Friday."

I'm not stupid, I tell them; I know the difference between Friday and Sunday, not to mention the fact I was not going to be home on Sunday and never would have scheduled it then.

Then the kicker: I find out they charged my credit car for $175, not $125. Big difference. "Oh, the tech much have made a mistke; Oh, I don't know why, Oh, we're sorry", etc., with the attitude, concern and compasson that would make an IRS agent look like Mother Theresa. Round and round we went, finally I told them to just forget the whole thing, the HD was marginally worth it too me at $125, but I definitely would have nixed it at $175. Refund my money and practice beign better bunsiness people.

Then the kicker. I go to watch some shows and find that some rocket surgeon has downgraded my service and go from Dish 250 to Basic. The poor guy on customer no-service next was scorched to the bne before he had a chance to rip the earpiece from his ear. He started the usual whining about "I don't appreciated your attituded" crap; I told him I'd been tolerant for 6 hours, but I was finaly over the monumental incompetence, sorry he had to be the one to take the heat, but maybe he should consider moving to a company that actually caread about its customers AND had a clue what they were doing, not to mention at least was able to demonstrate a modicum of honesty.

I never get the same answer twice when I call Dish for info. They reps come across as undertrained, underinformed, arrogant (probabaly because every other call is a complaint about a problem that should never have happened). The only reason I have them is that at the moment, they're the only game in my geographical area, but the second cable comes back through (I primarily need high speed internet and hand a bout a million times better experience with ComCast, believe it or not). As soon as decent competition moves isn, thes jokers are gonna loose at least me.

And to all of the Customer No-Service Reps at Dish, a couple of words: apologies without actions are meaningless. And if you're going to work for an incompetent organizaation, don't get your panties in a bunch when you finally push someone beyond the bounds of their patience and start in on the "oh, poor little abused me" thing. My heart is breaking for you after you waste an afternoon of my life and commit fraud on my credit card. ********.

Collapse -
I agree
by my4re / August 16, 2008 12:05 AM PDT

I agree, we have now 10 months left on this bullshit contract then their equipment with be sitting along side of the road, If I do not DRIVE over it for a great ending on youtube.com . The "Customer No Service" in which you mention is because they have out sourced all of the "Customer No Service" to New Delia aka "Bollywood", India. They SUCK the sweat off a dead Muslim's nuts.

www.my4reind.com

Collapse -
Dish Network experiances
by Sees it Real / August 16, 2008 12:21 AM PDT

Well I myself had a horrible experiance with Dish Network as I have read many others have too. In regards to withdrawing $175.00 opposed to $125.00 That does not surprise me at all, after following every detail instruction given us, Twice the same instructions (we were making a geographical move) they went into my bank acct and withdrew $106.00 I was like "What"!!!??? then about 5 days later went in acct Again and withdrew $400.00 - No did not have Direct Withdraw But then to read where I was far from the only one they did this too and another thing I experianced was that If Installed initially by Dish price maybe XX.XX But if installed by a company that does Dish Network the price maybe ALOT Higher, well after all this I started looked for Dish Network customer complaints and Whoa what a reading experiance that was.

Collapse -
Well put
by globalview / February 25, 2010 9:12 AM PST

I couldn't agree more with your assessment of Dish network "customer no service". Seems to be a corporate wide affliction. New buyers beware you have been warned.

Collapse -
i'm lawyer-shopping now
by katnralph / April 14, 2005 1:53 AM PDT

I absolutely need written evidence from DISH Network of all of their errors since my cancellation in December 2004.
I called again today to request that they at least mail me a statement to show the credit that was made, and the agent (Bert-Agent 61K) told me it would cost me $2.00.

Unbelievable.

I need to subpoena their phone logs.

Collapse -
or just wait until the revolution begins
by mellowde / July 27, 2005 1:57 AM PDT

and take aim on them.

Collapse -
MABEY YOU ARE JUST PLAIN NASTY OVER THE PHONE
by stewart norrie / December 14, 2006 2:16 AM PST

Then why do I get awsome costomer service from Dish Network. NEVER A PROBLEM IN 7 YEARS.A year ago my hi-def 811 box went south and they set me a new replacement in 2 days no charge. And what makes Dish better than the rest is the hi-def package and VOOM for only $15.00 extra per month. The problem may be your attitude stew

Collapse -
Maybe you are just blowin them
by my4re / April 3, 2008 11:44 AM PDT

They suck *** I spent 2 hrs and had to call 4times to get to an American Call center so I could SPEAK to an English speaking Person. What good it did we will see. If they keep spamming me you will hear about the next DSA and know its direction.

Collapse -
Dish Network - A Mess
by Sees it Real / September 25, 2007 3:04 AM PDT

Take a Look at link my3cents.com,Navigate to Dish Network starting on left side of home page Phone/Cable choose Cable then Dish Network.

Collapse -
dish network sucks
by unaweep / February 24, 2005 7:52 AM PST

What state are you in? I'm thinking about filing suit against them for a similar situation. I'm an attorney and qualified to sue them.

Collapse -
Filing Suit
by spisa / June 6, 2005 9:49 AM PDT

I am interested in just getting rid of the dish equipment and getting my original activation fee back. I had the equipment installed on May 27 by Star Satellite LLC, have on my contract that I should be getting VOOM and a DVR and didn't get either. We called the day of installation and about 10 times after that, (leaving messages with people and on recorder) and never received a return call until June 4. Now they are telling me that because I didn't call within three days that I have to pay an $80 service fee to have DVR installed on my HD TV. Not only that, but the manager for Star is the most abusive sale person that I have ever dealt with. I would like to cancel, but am worried about the $300 cancellation fee. What rights do I have here? I am in CA.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.