Internet Services Providers

General discussion

satellite internet: is it reliable? does voip work?

by zorba199 / April 12, 2008 2:22 AM PDT

I have not been able to get a clear picture about satellite internet(other than Hughes doesn't seem to be that good). Is it reliable at all? Is voip possible, how about magicjack?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: satellite internet: is it reliable? does voip work?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: satellite internet: is it reliable? does voip work?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The lag annoys most.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 12, 2008 2:29 AM PDT

For voip you have the transit time to/from said sat so gaming is definitely dead and voip too since you can't guarantee your uplink speed. I'm going to stop here and not write more. Looks grim and you need to stay away.

Collapse -
satellite internet: is it reliable? does voip work?
by deckie49 / May 7, 2008 1:38 AM PDT

i have a friend who just got satellite dsl (hughsnet). she loves it. her reception is good. but i suspect like satellite tv, she might get some interferance during stormy weather.
she doesn't use voip, so i can't comment on that.

Collapse -
Broadband using Satellite
by J Meek / May 9, 2008 12:05 PM PDT

I have been using Hughes Net for about a year now, and it has been great for my needs. If you want to use it for gameing or video streaming it is not so good.

I use it for E-maiil and general research on the internet.

The only other option for us was dial up which we suffered with for way to long.

Hughes Net has been very reliable even during heavy rain storms and is much better the dial up. We live out on the west coast so are storms are not as bad as what some people get back east and in the mid west.

They do limit you as to how much data you can send and recieve over a given period of time.

Collapse -
Think very carefully but consider this alternative
by b|journalist / May 9, 2008 12:31 PM PDT

"I have not been able to get a clear picture about satellite internet(other than Hughes doesn't seem to be that good). Is it reliable at all? Is voip possible, how about magicjack?"

I?m stuck on dial up at my present location, a prisoner of the ?Verizon rural custoner syndrome?. I was considering satellite until I began scrutinizing the reviews on www.dslreports.com. Hit that site and scrtinize the many reviews and comments using their seach tools and forums. Most agree that if EVDO is available it?s a much better choice than satellite. You can hit up coveragre maps for AT&T, Sprint, and...watch out...demon Verizon. No VoiP due to latency.

Collapse -
Satellite is LAST resort
by Lumpy95 / May 9, 2008 1:12 PM PDT

I was with Wildblue for 2 yrs. and you asked: "Is it reliable at all?" No it's not, no matter which ISP you go with.
You asked: "Is voip possible, how about magicjack?" VOIP is extremely erratic if it works at all because of the signal delay from the ground to the satellite and back (pings are from 700 to 1500 depending on which service you go with).
Small ISPs are starting to go with wireless in MANY rural places. I NEVER thought I would see it here but I happened to notice a small radio mounted on a pole on a neighbors house one day and asked him about it. Turns out that a local dialup ISP (about 20 miles away) had started a wireless service too about a year ago and there was no advertising for it at all.
I am a happy camper now and dumped satellite in a heartbeat.
Satellite is ok if you have NO OTHER CHOICE but dialup.
Good luck and google satellite forums for answers to many questions.

Collapse -
know a little more now....
by zorba199 / May 9, 2008 1:29 PM PDT

thanks for all of your interesting answers...

Collapse -
I can give you some info on MagicJack
by john3347 / May 9, 2008 1:27 PM PDT

I recently purchased a MagicJack and have had nothing but problems. Nothing,-- NOTHING -- works other than the basic make and receive calls. No 911, no call forwarding, no voice mail, nothing. I spent about 3 hours total in 5 or 6 chat sessions with what they call "tech support" and nothing got resolved. Their final solution was, "Well, we just don't know what is wrong. We will give you a return authorization to return the device if you choose to do so." Never even an offer to replace the device to test the original one for a defect. Nothing.

Also, I frequently get a bad connection of some sort when I make a call and have to hang up and dial the person again to get the static off the phone.

I certainly cannot recommend either the device or the company.

Collapse -
MagicJack, problem after problem after problem...
by Rinoferoce / May 13, 2008 7:07 AM PDT

I bought a MagicJack and experienced problem after problem with it since. First, it arrived 30 day later and never worked properly. Moreover, I have lost about 20 hours total chatting with them without any results. Secondly, they refused to replace it, even though they admit it is defective. Thirdly, they refuse to give me back my money.

If I can recommend 1 thing to everybody that reads this, it is to stay away from that company and its products.

Collapse -
magicjack problem after problem
by namlek / May 16, 2008 11:38 PM PDT

Had same PROBLEMS and then some. Called Better Business Bureau of West Palm Beach, Fla. @1-561-842-1918 x 150. They were very familiar and said MJ resolved @ 40% OF COMPLAINTS. Give it a try . It never worked with my Macbook, even though there's a separate upgrade/update. I tried everything possible for days-impossible! Yet, it did work with WIndows PC. It's a good concept, especially the portability feature. Go figure. Good Luck with BBB.

Collapse -
Majic Jack & Hughesnet DON'T BOTHER!
by ericxxxway / July 2, 2008 12:56 PM PDT

Ok were do I begin, Well I decided to get Satellite Broadband, thought I'd step into the future. I didn't know that I was stepping back in time!

They gave me a limit of 375MB of downloads in any given 24 hour period??What the heck is that! I've had cable & DSL never did I have a limit. The files I download are upwards of 1GB and more sometimes.

Well at the same time I ordered Sat Internet I ordered MajicJack thinking wow I could get off the grid, how cool is that. DON"T BOTHER! MajicJack DOES NOT WORK WELL WITH SATELLITE! It sucks really, it breaks up really bad and you can't make out what anybody is saying.

I was so disoppionted. I thought this was going to be a cool service & the idea is great but the reality stinks.

I spoke to the "Techs" at MajicJack and I use that term "Techs" loosely and they didn't offer me anything to make me feel any better,they talked to me like I didn't know anything about electronics and I dont like being talked down to. No where on the site does it say anything about not working with Satellite, they might need to mention that.

I will be getting rid of this satellite crap only because I don't like being told how much I can download, and I bet they lose alot of customers, plus their customer service is as bad as Dish Network you know why??

They use 3rd world countries to do their dirty work. How can a country that probably thinks we are spioled Americans care about what my problems are, they don't think the way we do, how can a poor and I mean poor country that probably will never own their computer yet alone internet service or Dish network, or Satellite internet give a rats *** about what we're complaining about? THEY DON'T CARE!!!

We need to take back our jobs, I'm so sick of bad customer service and I could go on for days, I have so much to ***** about but I'll stop now. I don't want to offend anybody God knows we have so many tree hugging cry babies in this country, everybody has to be P.C.....right? Yeh Right!!

Collapse -
Majicjack scam
by jeffedwar / July 19, 2008 2:11 AM PDT

All I can say about this Majicjack concept is they don't tell you up front that they may not have your area code working yet, and you don't find that out until you dig into their question answer system. I finally realized that since it would not give me a phone number I probably was out of luck.... But wait their willing to double up on the offer if I choose to wait until they do have an operating area code in my area. Well it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure what a risk that would be....Hmmmm go beyond 30 day period and your out $$$$ due to the fact they won't give you your money back after that. I imediately requested my RMA from then and they give you two weeks to return it. You can bet I'll certify mail it back to them just incase they claim it got lost in the mail.... They were right I got a dial tone alright, but who wants to set around and listen to a dial tone.... I wouldn't recommend getting involved with Mr. Jack Majic or not!!!

Collapse -
MAGICJACK
by HOGNOT / August 29, 2008 12:31 PM PDT

OK...take your MJ off yur computer...place it on the mantle.
Will it to your children...have them place it on their mantle and will it to their children.
Have them keep it for another fifty years.
Take to flea market.
Sell as one of those antique gadgets which didnt work..you know, like snake oil.
And then your grandkids can get your money back!

Collapse -
My Magic Jack works great, CAPE GIRARDEAU, MO.
by shannmorela / September 7, 2008 2:09 AM PDT
In reply to: MAGICJACK

Hey he majjic is fine in my house, I'm really dissapointed in the users feedback of not geting the service. Its a step in the wright direction My bill is zero, my call come in and out. Hey the majic may not work for everybody. If you restart your computer every so often, set your computer to be on, and configurations is ok you got majic. So for those downing the Majic I would to but hey I'm on the green side of the fence the money saving side so I cant complain.

Collapse -
Try an AC Powered USB Hub with the MajicJack
by koscoda / September 21, 2008 7:49 AM PDT

I have been using the MajicJack for about two months now with limited success. Seems like the device had a mind of its own and would shut down and come back up randomly. After chatting with a MajicJack tech support agent, the recommendation was to install an AC Powered USB hub.

So I purchased a CyberPower 4 Port AC Powered USB Hub from Walmart for $19.99. It's only been two days but so far, 100% success. Apparently I may have been overtaxing my Gateway's USB Hubs and the MajicJack simply was not receiving enough power from the computer. If this is the solution, it's quite easy and MajicJack should post this information on their FAQS (frequently asked questions) page.

Finally, I'd like to say that reading through some of the threads on this forum was quite dis-heartening. How people can call each other idiots when the whole idea is to help one another is beyond me. What works for one may not work for all but lets at least share the information in the interest of helping each other out as opposed to dis-respecting one another.

Collapse -
Does it work? Sometimes...maybe...sort of
by mcsue / May 9, 2008 1:30 PM PDT

We are in a position to not only compare satellite internet to DSL and dial-up, but also to compare 2 sat companies, Hughesnet and WildBlue. After years of living with wonderful DSL,we moved to the far north, where the only options are satellite and dial-up. Our office has WildBlue, and our home has Hughesnet. This what is what we have learned:

1. Sometimes satellite is amazing. It brings somewhat high speed internet into the middle of nowhere. At its best it is worth every penny. It is never as good as our DSL was though.

2. You can't always count on it working, and sometimes when it is supposedly working it is painfully slow. We have "raced" each other to get to a website with AOL dialup and satellite internet when the AOL won.

3. Consider paying for a service plan when after your warranty runs out. A service call and equipment repair can easily run $350. It is not uncommon to hear people say they have paid this type of repair bill more than once a year. Service technicians tend to travel from far away, so service is not usually fast.

4.Both plans we use limit your bandwidth usage and will make you "pay" for using too much bandwidth by slowing your speed down to next to nothing. Our Wildblue plan is cumulative for 30 days, so if you overuse bandwidth part-way through the month then the rest of the month could be awful. Our Hughesnet starts over every day, so if you goof up you are only tortured by slow internet for 24 hours. This is a big Hughesnet advantage, as it doesn't take much to go over the bandwidth limitation, even when you have the highest possible allocation. On Wildblue our staff was playing Pandora internet radio for part of the day; we went to 80% of our allocation in just 14 days. Satellite is definitely not for heavy users.

5. VoIP--the providers say you can't use it. We have used Skype over the satellite to talk to our daughter in Asia. It didn't work great, but it worked. Communication was possible.

6. EVERYONE complains about their satellite internet service, no matter which provider they use. Nobody ever raves that "It works fabulously" because frankly, it is an imperfect technology.

I guess it's better than nothing, though.

Collapse -
Satellite
by Masterfitter / May 9, 2008 9:32 PM PDT

You people need to check out DogLegs.com.
I don't game or VoIP But i do watch a lot of videos and have NO complaints.
Operating with windows xp home edition and self installed satellite reciever

:::.. Download Stats ..:::
Download Connection is:: 2117 Kbps about 2.1 Mbps (tested with 3072 kB)
Download Speed is:: 258 kB/s
Tested From:: http://testmy.net/ (Main)
Test Time:: 2008/04/24 - 12:56pm
Bottom Line:: 37X faster than 56K 1MB Download in 3.97 sec
Tested from a 3072 kB file and took 11.89 seconds to complete
Download Diagnosis:: Awesome! 20% + : 55.21 % faster than the average for host (4.46)
D-Validation Link:: http://testmy.net/stats/id-CWS8T45PH
User Agent:: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.14) Gecko/20080404 Firefox/2.0.0.14 [!]

Collapse -
satelite internet
by tincup138 / May 9, 2008 11:55 PM PDT

I've had Wildblue for 18 months. They said I could'nt use voip.
Cost is $50 month. Only trouble I've had cost me $75. What I like over dial up beside the speed is that my wife and I can be on at the same time. Also minus the cost of the extra phone line and 2 net zero accounts the cost is about $10 more a month. Rain will lose my signal a little quicker than my Direct tv. Speed wil vary depending on how many are on. Me best download speed on dial up was 2.4 kps on its 72 kbs. Big increase for me.
I'm Happy

Collapse -
Satellite internet
by jeweltex / May 10, 2008 1:21 AM PDT

We have had HughesNet for 7-8 years now (as long has it has been available here.) Before that we had dial-up on a dedicated "Austin" line (the nearest large city to our rural TX location.)
Pros: 1. Waaay faster than dial-up; not nearly as fast as DSL or cable.
2. Acceptable reliability and access to phone support (you have to be patient.)
3. Not perceptibly slower when several computers are online at the same time.

Cons: 1.Too expensive; we pay $80 a month for the latest modem and most bandwidth offered, with NO noticeable improvement in performance.
2. Subject to rain fade, but usually for very short time intervals.
3. "Satellite Lag" makes it unacceptable for gaming and VOIP.
4. Not good for heavy users, much too slow.

Bottom Line: An almost satisfactory solution when there's NO other faster option. Until something better comes along way out here in the sticks, we're staying with HughesNet.

Collapse -
Sat. in'et.
by guywayne / May 10, 2008 9:16 AM PDT

We've had WildBlue for about a year and a half. It is more reliable and much faster that dial-up was, but that is the best that can be said for it. If you have cable, dsl, or wireless service available, you should choose them instead. They don't cost any more and are much better. Also, they don't usually have the bandwidth restrictions that sattelite does- 7500Mb on a moveing 30-day window might sound like a lot, but start visiting you-tube or itunes and you are screwed in a hurry.
If you do have to go with sattelite, pay the extra $5.00 or so per month for the service plan. Service calls start at about $100 for the first half-hour plus parts. We've had to use the service, and were satisfied with it. And call at the first sign of trouble- it can take a few days for the serviceman to get there.

Collapse -
: satellite internet: is it reliable? does voip work?
by waynelavender / May 10, 2008 10:33 AM PDT

I had satellite internet for about 5 years and I never had any problems except sometimes I would be emailed to let me know when there may be an outage. The only reason I left the company was because they inflated their prices dramatically and I could no longer afford to stay with them. It was very reliable and also very fast. VOIP does work and yet again I've been using it for about 3 years with no problems.
Hope this is of help to you.
Wayne

Collapse -
Hughes does not work well at all!
by slotracer1 / May 18, 2008 8:16 AM PDT

I just got off the phone with Hughesnet tech support. I was calling to complain about really slow browsing. They told me it was typical of peak time and because it worked well during off peak hours there nothing they could do. Well, I can understand a little slowing but from off peak speed of 611k to 53k during "peak" hours is a bit too much slowing for me. I'm paying WAY more than dialup nd the installation alone was over $425.00. Their attitude is "too bad".
I tried VOIP by the way, and the delay made conversation impossible.
There's also what they call a "Fair Access Policy". It means if you download more 100mb in a 24 hour period they'll slow your access down to a crawl. Well, I got hit with the FAP and didn't even download anything. My warning to anyone inquiring about Hughesnet service is:
DON'T DO IT!!!
Just trying to help.

Collapse -
VOIP
by iitduke / October 4, 2008 3:58 AM PDT

I used the magicjack too it works really good if you have a good speed broadband or evdo.

thanks

Itduke
2gbhosting.com

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.