Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

SATA vs Solid state harddrive

by mopscare42 / May 1, 2011 1:26 PM PDT

A friend just built his first computer.
He put in a i5-2500 processor, 8 gig of ram, nice video card and and a 120 Gig SSD drive.
Other than it starting up faster, I don't see any speed advantage to the SSD drive or am I missing something?
He said he wasn't all that impressed with it either and bought it because of the hype about the SSD.
I am sure somewhere it must have it's advantages, but I didn't see any on his computer.
He said the price was about 3 times higher than a regular hardrive.
Has anyone here had any experience with a SSD drive?
Thanks.

Wayne

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: SATA vs Solid state harddrive
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: SATA vs Solid state harddrive
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: SSD versus HDD
by Kees_B Forum moderator / May 1, 2011 4:59 PM PDT

That would have been the correct description. They both (in this case) have a SATA interface.

The advantage of a SSD is fast random access. That's used when starting the PC or starting a program.
Other things (like speed of browsing, gaming or video conversion) aren't noticeably better, because accessing the disk isn't the factor that determines speed (that's the CPU, the amount of RAM, the video card and speed of the Internet connection). Those are the same. Using an SSD to store pictures or movies or music is an overkill. No need for speed in using those.
Buffering of disk data in RAM is quite effective in Windows.

The advantage of an SSD is a laptop is that it uses less power, so the battery lasts longer, but I assume we're talking about a desktop here.

I think this is mostly a case of wrong expectations.

Kees

Collapse -
My own experience
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / May 1, 2011 10:33 PM PDT

My own Desktop had 2 SSDs in Raid 0 format. This is on a system that is now 2 years old, so my experience stems from early generation SSDs. The situation may be different now.

Those SSDs suffered a fatal problem. They didn't delete files properly. This could be mitigated somewhat with an OS that allowed TRIM controls. My Vista didn't, but Win 7 does.

However when I moved to Win 7 I scrapped the SSDs and moved to a normal HDD. The SSDs under Vista failed regularly and often, resulting in factory wiping, (back to the manufacturer as normal formatting didn't work) and reinstall of the OS.

Like I say though, SSD technology may have moved on. I know that at the time of my use of SSDs Intel were testing software solutions on the SSD chips themselves, but I haven't kept up with the latest.

Not wanting to put you or your friend off, of course... Devil

Mark

Collapse -
Quick points
by Willy / May 1, 2011 10:45 PM PDT

The SSD big advantage is speed. However, amongst the SSD's themselves there are variations that depend on speed, data xfer and I/O data storage in common areas. The wear&tear is minor overall, but the crux of it boils down to repeated use of same area, which makers spread over the SSD area to help reduce this. In that regard is where the failures come in, as formats don't really re-format or clear such areas even though it reports it did. The SSD run cooler and generally less power which is big plus for laptop users. of course, they cost too much for many. The best use for SSD is the OS being installed there and use a plain HD for typical data storage and/or general use.

Collapse -
More Faster
by jamhelmcor / May 2, 2011 3:44 AM PDT

I just heard that it is more faster in terms of data transfer. And that the OS will load faster.

Collapse -
Thanks All.
by mopscare42 / May 2, 2011 6:35 AM PDT
In reply to: More Faster
For that information.
I see what the advantage is now.
I am going to be adding a 2nd drive to my desktop computer and will use a SSD.
I will probably be back here asking advise on how to set it up when the time comes.
I am going to wait a little to see if the price comes down as the price seems pretty high right now.

Thanks again.
Collapse -
SSD advantages...
by Doh_1 / May 6, 2011 12:53 PM PDT

1. Faster data transfer.

Collapse -
Re: SATA vs. SSD
by missinglink7918 / May 6, 2011 9:51 PM PDT

I am not sure the benefits of a SSD in a desktop, but I specifically chose my netbook because it has a SSD. I made this choice because it should be less susceptible to failure from heat and shock and my little HP takes a beating. I know that the capacity vs. cost is a major weakness to current SSDs, but they make perfect sense for some users who are willing to trade capacity for durability and efficiency.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.