PC Hardware forum

General discussion

sata vs. ide

by nerdyboy1234 / April 2, 2005 9:00 AM PST

Is there a difference between IDE hard drives and Sata hard drive? WHich is better?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: sata vs. ide
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: sata vs. ide
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Basic differences are:
by Michael Geist / April 2, 2005 9:41 AM PST
In reply to: sata vs. ide

1) Speed (150mbps (SATA) vs 100/133mbps (PATA))
2) Air flow (large IDE cable vs thin SATA)
3) Hot swappable (SATA)
4) Newer technology with future speed increases promised.

Collapse -
It's a matter of opinion yet
by Steven Haninger / April 2, 2005 9:44 AM PST

I have several of both types. SATAs are technically a bit faster but not by the ratio suggested. No doubt speed will increase and SATAs are now priced comparably with PATAs. There are some drawbacks during this transition such as they use a different power cable though some still come with 4 pin molex too. The serial cables are a bit easier to handle but the connections, to me, seem a bit more fragile. SATAs don't need jumpers to be set. Installing XP (or other OS) on an SATA drive will mean you need a driver disk ready during this process. I can't say there's a night and day difference in performance, however. Hope this helps.

Collapse -
Installing OS on SATA Drive
by jjdetroit / April 7, 2005 5:35 AM PDT

You said:

>> Installing XP (or other OS) on an SATA drive will mean you need a driver disk ready during this process. <<

I just installed an MSI mobo yesterday with both IDE and SATA controllers, and the MSI manual says:

1. WinME and Win98 CANNOT be installed on SATA drives.
2. A bootable RAID volume can be installed for Win2K, but only if an installation CD combining Win2K AND SP4 is created first.
3. Nothing said about WinXP.

Collapse -
It's not the drive but the controller
by Steven Haninger / April 7, 2005 11:14 AM PDT

XP may not have a driver for the SATA controller on the MB. This does not mean you cannot install the OS. XP will give you an option during the installation to install 3rd party drivers including RAID. My experience is that these must be contained on floppy disks but that the MB driver CD allows you to make the necessary floppies. The catch-22 is that you need a PC to run the CD on to make the diskettes. Not all installations are alike and you will not know what drivers XP has but, for devices, there is a good chance there will be later ones from the manufacturer. Having driver disks handy throughout the installation makes things go more smoothly.

Collapse -
No difficulty istalling OS-eventually!
by armshead / April 7, 2005 8:16 PM PDT

I recently had to sort out a machine purchased by my son-in-law from PC World. This had an Intel 915GAG MOBO, a 160 Gb SATA Drive & no Floppy. There was a sealed Recovery pack which contained 6 BLANK CDRs and a little leaflet.
After wasting a day trying to use the protected recovery partition which presumably contained XP home & all the drivers, I put in my Windows 98 CD and formatted the drive. I then installed XPpro from the CD,no problems.
Found all the drivers on Intel's site, copied the ethernet drivers using an SD card and all the rest over the network. So ignorance was my salvation. I didn't know there was any real difference.

Collapse -
by GMartin2R / April 7, 2005 5:23 PM PDT

i've got an MSI board too and i had no problem installing xp on my SATA drive. i was running a SATA dvd-rw too and it worked fine. i got a little confused trying to figure out how to get the disk formatted but when i finally stuck the xp cd in it took over and i was up and going several hours later.

Collapse -
SATA DVD-RW drives
by MrFletch / April 8, 2005 4:12 PM PDT
In reply to: XP on SATA

SATA is knew to me and im still learning about it. I have a XP computer, jus a normal PC with today's average recommened speeds. Im looking to get a Plextor PX-716 and i understand there is a SATA version to it. I have a TDK VeloCD that im looking to replace. Is it wise to get this drive instead of the PX-716A (PATA), and what changes would i have to make?

Collapse -
by GMartin2R / April 8, 2005 4:52 PM PDT
In reply to: SATA DVD-RW drives

I've got the SATA model just below that at the px-712. the main thing i found different between the SATA and IDE drives is the buffer size. it's 2 mb on the IDE and 8mb on the SATA. not sure how much more it would be to get the SATA but i think right now it's more personal prefrence. aside from the cache size i didnt see any differences. i went with the SATA because the cables are much smaller so it makes it easier for good airflow as SATA cables are about 1/4 the size of IDE cables...

as for changes; if your motherboard supports SATA you're in good shape. if not yiou'd probably have to get a PCI card to add SATA support. if you decide to go IDE get the drive and hook it up the same way you would any other drive. you shouldnt need to change anything save for th drive. the power and comm cables are the same. anyhow a few thoughts

Collapse -
what about server 2003
by repeted / December 8, 2005 12:14 PM PST
In reply to: XP on SATA

Has anybody tri

Collapse -
Installing OS on SATA Drive
by rkirvien / April 8, 2005 11:33 PM PDT

Excuse me for being Blond but where does the driver disk come from, does it come with the new drive or do you down load from Mfg.???

Collapse -
Reply to rkirvien's question
by novicebuilder / May 7, 2007 3:42 AM PDT

Hey rkirvien, the driver disk almost always comes with the new drive, but then almost all manufacturers also have them ready for download on their websites.

Collapse -
SATA a touch quicker
by brf50b / April 7, 2005 9:17 AM PDT

Just replaced my WD 400JB (7200 rpm/8mb cache) with WD 160 Gb SATA drive on Promise controller on Asus motherboard (2.53 P4, 1 Gb DDR 2700, IDE connectors are ATA 133). You need a driver disk during XP install. I'd guess about 10 to 15% faster. For example, shaved a few seconds off Firebird/Thunderbird load, a second (6 to 5) on a Word Perfect load, Printmaster Platinum 16 shaved about 10 sec. off load time - it's a slow load anyhow but now loads in about 12 s.

Collapse -
Not much
by Willy / April 2, 2005 10:16 AM PST

IDE drives are either SATA or PATA. The main difference being thier "interface" to the system. While SATA is to be the std. in the coming years and be faster as time progresses it has yet to pull away from PATA class performance in any big way. A more detailed answer can be had a any of the HD makers support website(s), query there.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
XP or bust for big SATA drives
by Kaemon / April 7, 2005 10:38 PM PDT

Over 130GB requires WinXP/SP2:

My biggest issue wasn't SATA but Windows 2000 not recognizing the full 250 GB of my SATA. Even with SP4, I could still only see 130GB. I gave up and installed WinXP which also wouldn't recognize over 130GB until I installed Service Pack 2.

Installation workaround:

To install XP on a large SATA (130GB+) requires fabricating a new WinXP installation CD that includes SP2. I found it cumbersome. Instead, I found it easier to put both my old IDE and my new 250 GB SATA in the box, install fresh WinXP on my old IDE drive, then install SP2. With SP2 installed I could format the new 250 GB SATA and then ghosted the installation image onto my SATA. Worked great!

Collapse -
Hardware RAID support
by aldevries / April 8, 2005 12:53 AM PDT

Although I haven't used it personally yet, the fact that SATA offers hardware RAID support should be beneficial to users with identical dual drives. GAmers can use it to speed up transfer times by splitting data across two disks (Raid 0), while RAID 1 creates a mirrored disk for a second level of data protection. Of course you still need to do your regular backups because this only protects against a drive failing, not a worm of virus that corrupts/destroys your data. All of this can be done cheaper than SCSI and faster than a software based RAID solution.

Collapse -
Converting to SATA
by humvee / April 8, 2005 1:38 AM PDT
In reply to: Hardware RAID support

I have no experience of SATA other than what I have read here and elsewhere....therefore a real noobish question.

Is it possible to change an existing IDE HD - that has connections for SATA - to SATA without reinstalling windows etc.

Collapse -
Build your own WinXP SP2 CD
by clan010 / April 8, 2005 7:30 AM PDT

No offense, but fabricating an WinXP/SP2 CD is far easier and take much less time than to install to 2nd hard drive and the Ghosting to the original drive. There are countless guides out there that will tell you how to do it (and its really easy, trust me). While your method requires a 2nd hard drive, this method only requires a blank CD-R.

Collapse -
by Bailey51 / September 16, 2006 12:40 AM PDT

Could you please give info on how to do this or a link to a good site. All the guides that I have found do not work.

Thanks in advance,

Collapse -
I used this one.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 16, 2006 12:47 AM PDT
In reply to: WinXP SP2 CD
Collapse -
XP did not require SP2 for SATA install
by ddinham / April 9, 2005 6:24 AM PDT

Last fall I built a new PC using an Intel board with the 875 chip and native raid using SATA. I used an install CD with SP1 included and when prompted for the raid driver, I pressed F6 and inserted the floppy with the raid drivers. I used Maxtor 250 gig drives and had no problem formatting the drives. I let XP format the drives using NTFS. As I remember, XP will not mount a volume over 130 gig using FAT32. You would have to format it using a DOS floppy for which Microsoft has available an FDISK fix for large drives.

Collapse -
A Little Easier
by ktrontl / April 9, 2005 12:49 PM PDT

If you do get a larger than the 130GB HD prior to downloading any SP, there is an easy way to take care of the +130GB problem.
Do your initial switching out of the HDs. Reload the pre SP Win XP, download SP2 off the XP website, then go to your Administrator tools in your Control Panel.
Click on Computer Management.
In the Computer Management window, click Disk Management under Storage in the tree plane on the left.
You will see two sections in the right plane. The top right plane is the drive information (% of free space and that sort of stuff).
The lower right plane is a graphical representation of that. It shows your C drive and all the extra space that you are not using on your HD.
Right click over the shaded area of HD free space and you can format and make a logic drive in the free space. Reboot.

Collapse -
XP or bust.... busted.
by barrelli / June 17, 2006 9:16 AM PDT

Actually, it's quite a simple process to install a drive above 130GB on a Win2000 system. I have a 400GB drive on my Win2000 system and it works wonderfully. You just have to enable 48-bit LBA support for ATAPI drives. It's actually just a registry key alteration, and it's spelled out very nicely on this web page. http://support.microsoft.com/?id=305098

Collapse -
Related Question
by CarlosAntenna / April 8, 2005 2:52 AM PDT

My MOBO supports both standard IDE and SATA. Can I use both on the same system? 4 IDE devices plus SATA?

Collapse -
Certainly !!!!
by larrybell / April 8, 2005 4:42 AM PDT
In reply to: Related Question

Sure, You can use any combination of Standard IDE and the SATA drives you like, as long as you have enough room for in your case.

I would remind you to make considerations for your power supply capacity so you provide enough power to your entire system. You probably wouldn't want to run four IDE and 4 SATA drives all on a 300 watt power supply. I would consider jumping to at least 450 watts.

Collapse -
sata & XP
by paulswa / April 8, 2005 4:37 AM PDT

I just retired my 5 year old Pavillion with a new ABIT mobo, AMD 64 processor and Antec case. The idea was to use the original HD from the HP to boot the new sys. Installed the old boot HD, powered up, XP started and reregistered with Msoft entirely painless. Mounted and connected the SATA drive (got lucky,the Antec power supply was already equiped with the correct power connector. Formatted & partitioned the 250 GB in half. Maxtor installation sw asked if I wanted to boot from the new drive, yes. With no action on my part,the entire 43 GB original boot drive was transferred to the SATA drive. The only action was to change the boot sequence in CMOS. XP Pro booted as though nothing had changed. SATA is much faster than the original HP.

Collapse -
by damasta55r / April 8, 2005 4:58 PM PDT
In reply to: sata & XP

Very talented.

Collapse -
sata rocks
by balert2 / April 9, 2005 8:05 AM PDT

you will notice that more and more SATA are being sold everything and their prices are dropping. SATA uses smaller cable which helps heat circulation in your computer and it uses less electricty to operate, not to mention it's faster, especially in RAID 0. In RAID 1, it automatically backups your data for you, that's an essential feature for small biz.
of course, SATA is pricer than IDE. Still, it's worth it. In a couple of years, IDE should be phased out already. See
for some idea of pricing.

Collapse -
Sata FTW
by lsohn / May 29, 2006 12:09 AM PDT

wow after reading this thread I think I might go pawn my old 80gb and 120gb IDE's and purchase a new spiffy 300gb 16mb cache Sata, the going rate for these in Australia is $150 and the benefits seem endless.

Collapse -
sata cable vs ide what is the diference
by ckagents / September 27, 2009 7:24 PM PDT

Dear forum i have the mob P4i65G of the ASRock with two ide HDs.

Now i have a SATA HD OF WDIGITAL. The cable on the SATA HD is diferent,can i use a new cable that suport Sata and IDE ??

Thank you for your suport.

Christos Thikoudis

Collapse -
Re: SATA versus IDE
by Kees Bakker / September 27, 2009 7:27 PM PDT

You can only use SATA if your motherboard has a SATA connection. And then you use a SATA cable.

A not to good alternative might be to buy an eSATA (external SATA) PCI card or mount the disk in an external case and access it via USB.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.