PC Hardware forum

General discussion

SATA external drive in drive enclosure not recognized

by tgconte / October 11, 2008 10:59 PM PDT

Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar SE16 500GB 7200m 16MB, SATA-300, OEM
Hard Drive Enclosure: Vantec NexStar-3 3.5" USB/eSATA/Firewire 800/400 Interface
PC: HP Pavilion a1250n HP Media Center PC

Cannot get SATA drive recognized. Get nothing in MY COMPUTER or DISK MANAGER. Motherboard is an MSI Amethyst M 1.0 with two SATA connectors on it. One is used by internal SATA drive, SATA2 & works well. I connected the other SATA3 connector with the SATA cable attached to SATA to eSATA braclet.

Does not work. Does not work on USB 2.0 connection either. Any suggestions???

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: SATA external drive in drive enclosure not recognized
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: SATA external drive in drive enclosure not recognized
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just checking.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 11, 2008 11:10 PM PDT
Collapse -
Just checking
by tgconte / October 12, 2008 12:13 AM PDT
In reply to: Just checking.

Bob,

Thanks for the quick response. I did try the disk management route but the external drive not recognized in either My Computer, on the system tray or in disk management, hence I cannot partition it.

It sounds like there is a problem with SATA external drives on a computer referring to your reply.

I expected it to work for two reasons.

1: Purchased SATA internal drive because I thought it would work being that the internal drive I have in my pc now (Drive C:\) is a SATA drive & has worked fine for over a year.

2: The hard drive enclosure I purchased states USB control also. I'm not sure if I understand that correctly. Does that mean you can just place & connect the SATA drive into the enclosure then via USB connection from enclosure to PC it would be recognized?

Or, as I thought, install the eSATA adapter into the pc, connect it to the other SATA connector, which is underneath the SATA connector that my internal drive is connected to, & it would work.

Collapse -
1: Purchased SATA internal drive because I thought it would
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 12, 2008 12:31 AM PDT
In reply to: Just checking

1: Purchased SATA internal drive because I thought it would work being that the internal drive I have in my pc now (Drive C:\) is a SATA drive & has worked fine for over a year.

That's a good first step but for XP, since XP knows nothing about SATA the issues are fairly deep. You must understand if you installed the SATA driver or are using the IDE SATA BIOS EMULATION as well as enabling SATA ports. There are many many variations here so all I can offer is that it's a deep issue without complete details about your setup, bios settings and more I can't offer a do-this.

2: The hard drive enclosure I purchased states USB control also. I'm not sure if I understand that correctly. Does that mean you can just place & connect the SATA drive into the enclosure then via USB connection from enclosure to PC it would be recognized?

NO. Even with that we still need to partition and format a new drive. It's not automatic.

"Or, as I thought, install the eSATA adapter into the pc, connect it to the other SATA connector, which is underneath the SATA connector that my internal drive is connected to, & it would work."

Sorry, it's not that simple. While Vista helped by adding support for many SATA connections you appear to run XP so you need to check your BIOS settings and more.
Bob

Collapse -
SATA HARD DRIVE NOT RECOGNIZED
by tgconte / October 12, 2008 12:47 AM PDT

I checked my BIOS & the following entries are configured as:

ON THE ADVANCED TAB
Onboard SATA-1 adapter.....ENABLED
Plug & Play OS.....YES
Local Bus IDE adaptor.....BOTH
USB Legacy mode.....AUTO
Reset Configuration Data.....NO
Onboard LAN.....ENABLED

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 12, 2008 12:55 AM PDT

There's an issue there. I can't tell if your BIOS is reporting the new drive. I also can't tell if your BIOS is setup to emulate IDE for SATA connected drives. All this is not automatic, is not standardized and you as the builder must read the manual for any clue about it.

The BIG thing is is the BIOS does not report a drive, neither will Windows. Same for the USB connection. Windows won't report the drive until it's partitioned, formatted and the drive letter shows in disk management. Many didn't expect it to require those steps.
Bob

Collapse -
(NT) Did it work before or is it brand new ?
by VAPCMD / October 11, 2008 11:55 PM PDT
Collapse -
internal drive & hard drive enclosure both brand new
by tgconte / October 12, 2008 12:20 AM PDT

Both the internal drive & hard drive enclosure units are both brand new. Has capability of both SATA or USB connection, but I cannot get either to work. Drive not recognized. Cannot use Disk Management to partition drive because it has to be recognized in order to select it for partitioning.

Collapse -
(NT) Is the device (HDD controller) 'enabled' in the BIOS ?
by VAPCMD / October 12, 2008 12:26 AM PDT
Collapse -
HDD CONTROLLER
by tgconte / October 12, 2008 12:52 AM PDT

Checked BIOS, nothing stating HDD Controller. Following are entries I thought might be associated with the controller.

ON THE ADVANCED TAB
Plug & Play OS.....YES
USB Legacy mode.....AUTO
Reset Configuration Data.....NO
Onboard LAN.....ENABLED

Collapse -
If the HDD works in the system but not when mounted
by VAPCMD / October 12, 2008 2:11 AM PDT
In reply to: HDD CONTROLLER

in enclosure...the only thing left is the enclosure.

Let us know what you find.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
Removed current SATA drive that was working, put in new SATA
by tgconte / October 12, 2008 7:34 AM PDT

I removed current hard SATA drive that has been working fine for over a year. Replaced it with new SATA drive I purchased two day's ago. The hard drive was not detected. I don't have a copy of Windows XP CD so had to use the restoration CD that came with pre-built HP desktop.
Boot order was CD first. Would not go into restoration setup. Just displayed message no drive found. Can I be sure that the new SATA drive is bad, or did I miss doing something different during boot or in BIOS setup?

Collapse -
In the enclosure....
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 12, 2008 7:49 AM PDT

The eSATA port is a simple passthrough connection. Since the BIOS can't see it, it's time to cut this drive loose and make a warranty claim.

I missed where you wrote the host PC details. Some had size limits.

Collapse -
HD size limits
by tgconte / October 12, 2008 10:49 AM PDT
In reply to: In the enclosure....

I checked & found out that this PC can take a 500GB drive. I will try to find out more info from HD enclosure tech. Thank you all for your help.

Collapse -
HP Pavilion a1250n Desktop PC " SATA Drive " Disk not recogn
by fotoboblasvegas / July 8, 2009 9:38 AM PDT
In reply to: HD size limits

I have the same tower,a HP Pavilion a1250n Desktop PC, and the hard drive has failed. I would like to use a 500GB drive (Western Digital WD5002ABYS). I have used this drive as a drive in a D-Link DNS-321 NAS box and all worked as it should. After I put this drive in to replace the factory 250GB drive I get the message "Drive Not Recognized". I am trying to reload the system with the the recovery disks I ordered from HP for this specific PC. Any suggestions would be super helpful! Thank you.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.