Samsung forum

Sansung Blu-Ray/Pioneer HDTV Incompatibility

by dmcauliffe42 / April 10, 2013 12:59 AM PDT

I have a brand new Samsung EV5400 Blu Ray player and it will not work with my Pioneer PDP 6070HD Television. It's been back to Samsung twice and they cannot determine why. I even send a video of what happens when I try to play a blu ray disk. I talked to the tech and it seems that the Samsung unit is incompatible with my HDTV. I was told to contact Samsung support. I did and was told by them that it was my fault that I didn't research their product enough to determine that it wouldn't work with the Pioneer HDTV. No refund, no solution so I'm out $80. Anybody have any ideas.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Sansung Blu-Ray/Pioneer HDTV Incompatibility
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Sansung Blu-Ray/Pioneer HDTV Incompatibility
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You don't give any details
by Pepe7 / April 10, 2013 1:02 AM PDT

If you don't at least provide a bare minimum level of detail, how can you reasonably expect to be helped(?)

What settings are you trying, and how are the devices connected(?)

Also, have you visited the AVS forum for their informative threads on your products?

Collapse -
Model number check
by Pepe7 / April 10, 2013 1:04 AM PDT
Collapse -
Samsung/Pioneer Incompatibility
by dmcauliffe42 / April 10, 2013 3:01 AM PDT
In reply to: Model number check

The unit is on its way back from Samsung so I can't confirm the exact model number but this is what the Samsung trouble ticket has; BD-E5400/ZA. The link you cite reads like the same model. Sorry I didn't have enough detail. I was trying to be brief.
The Blu Ray player was connected to one of the HDMI inputs on my Pioneer PDP 6070HD PU. The Samsung unit worked as advertised in terms of the home menus, connecting wirelessly to the internet and even playing conventional DVDs. When I put a Netflix Blu-ray disk in the unit it recognized that it had a blu-ray disk in it, started to scan it, flashed a screen with Chapter 1/7 on it, and then stop with the Samsung vertical grey bars on the screen. Nothing happened for a long time, about 20-30 minutes when the movie previews started to play. When it got to the end of those, it stop again, displaying the same grey bars. Once, when I left it for an hour or so, the menu for the movie appeared but I had to leave figuring I could repeat that situation. That never happened again. I tried using every input setting/option available on the Pioneer but nothing changed. I tried a new Blu Ray disk with no difference. I called Pioneer who told me that this was a"dumb" vise "smart" HDTV and simply plays whatever video it sees on the HDMI input. At his suggestion I even switched HDMI ports with no difference so he said that the problem is not with the Pioneer. I called Samsung support (This is January) and we went through several Samsung setup options but nothing worked. They had me send the unit back and it was returned to me as "No Defect Found". I put it back on the Pioneer with the same bad results. As a test I but the unit on a small Samsung HDTV I have and it work perfectly. But not on the Pioneer. I called Samsung again and they had me shipped it back again. This time I included a video of the screens to show them what was happening. The tech called me to say that he could not determine problem or offer a solution and suggested I call Samsung. You know what they said. I emailed the tech today (4/12/13) and he said he'll send the unit back.
Hope that's enough detail. Thanks for your help.

Collapse -
That sounds more like an incompatible BD title.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 10, 2013 3:09 AM PDT

Right or wrong the movie industry has implemented such heavy copy protection that it does fail from time to time and the BD player makers have to play catchup and issue a new firmware for the player.

It's a shame the title was not shared as some were more trouble and widely discussed.

There's a reason I own only 5 BD titles. The heavy copy protection and an industry that loathes it's clients is partly why.

Collapse -
BD title
by dmcauliffe42 / April 10, 2013 4:16 AM PDT

Appreciate the reply. The BD was Albert Nobbs and Samsung had me check the region on that disk and it was correct. As part of the repair process the Samsung Tech said that he was ordering the Title so he could try it. After that I was informed that no defect was found. So I discounted that problem.

Collapse -
Other notes.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 10, 2013 4:30 AM PDT
In reply to: BD title

1. Latest firmware in the player?
2. Deny the player an internet connection.
3. Give the player an internet connection.
4. Try other titles.

It sounds more like a title issue to me and I can't tell what other titles were tried. But I agree that Blu Ray is a disaster. The industry has declared it a success in spite of the issues.

Collapse -
Other notes
by dmcauliffe42 / April 10, 2013 7:38 AM PDT
In reply to: Other notes.

We updated the firmware as part of this whole drill. I'll try the other ideas when the unit gets back from its second trip to Riverdale, NJ

Collapse -
I'd be shocked if that made any difference
by Pepe7 / April 10, 2013 4:23 PM PDT
In reply to: Other notes
Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.