Cameras

General discussion

Sandisk 1gb SD card actually 3.86gb??

by OttsD / September 20, 2007 8:43 AM PDT

Yesterday, I got a new digital camera (Sealife Ecoshot). I also bought a 1gb Sandisk SD card. I put it into the camera, and formatted the card with the camera. After that, it appears the card is actually 3.86gb. I had the picture settings set on the best quality it would take, and noticed the available pictures was much higher than it should have been (1232 instead of the 301 the manual says I should have) Upon hooking it up the the computer, and going to the properties of the removable drive (camera) in 'my computer' it listed the capacity as 3.86gb.

Has anyone seen this before?
Should I return the card (will this cause a problem somewhere?)
or Did I just get really lucky?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Sandisk 1gb SD card actually 3.86gb??
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Sandisk 1gb SD card actually 3.86gb??
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
SD card
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / September 20, 2007 10:01 AM PDT

You should first make sure that the camera is set to
2816 x 2112 and that it is set to FINE Quality.
Page 24 of your manual.

I have not heard of anyone actually getting a mis-marked memory card.
For it to have the capacity you stated, it would have to be a SDHC (SD high capacity) card.

As far as "will this cause a problem somewhere", I would be tempted to call SeaLife and ask them.

Collapse -
re
by OttsD / September 20, 2007 11:16 AM PDT
In reply to: SD card

It is set to 2816 x 2112 and that it is set to FINE Quality.
It didnt show up as 4gb until I formatted the card with the camera, before that it only showed up as 1gb.

Collapse -
Try...
by Papa Echo / September 20, 2007 12:16 PM PDT
In reply to: re

...formatting the card again and see what happens.

I won't be tempted to count myself lucky and start using the card. The camera may decide that there have been a mistake when you have used, say 1.10 GB and find that it could no longer fit in anymore pictures...and lose the whole lot.
I wound return the card for a replacement. If the problem persists, return the camera.

Collapse -
Do Not Return card
by MRMOAV / September 22, 2007 7:32 AM PDT

Once in a while you do get lucky. No reason to return it. The easiest way to test would be to put the card into the computer and upload a 2GB or larger file onto it, simple as that if it works it works keep the card and get rid of the camera if you don't like it but KEEP the CARD!!!

Collapse -
exchanged
by OttsD / September 22, 2007 10:44 AM PDT

I took about 400 pictures to use up 1gb on the card (i needed the card for a trip the following day, so i wanted to problem solved) It let me keep taking pictures past the 1gb mark, but would no longer allow me to view them and gave me a file read error. I exchanged the card, but have not formatted the new in the camera, and im not sure if i want to try it or not.

Collapse -
Always...
by Papa Echo / September 22, 2007 2:06 PM PDT
In reply to: exchanged

...format a card in the camera for which the card is to be used. It not formated it, will surely give you problems, then you won't be able to access the photos you take.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.