Samsung forum

General discussion

Samsung Wireless Dongle

by melmel18 / April 26, 2009 8:17 AM PDT

We just purchased a 52" Samsung TV as well as the BD-P1600 blue ray dvd player. The TV works great and has many outstanding features (including connecting to our wireless server that has music and photo on it). We were also excited about streaming movies from Netflix. That was until we realized in we have to purchase an Samsung proprietary dongle even though it said on the box that the DVD player is "WIRELESS READY" and the guy at Best Buy did not inform us that we had to buy additional device to stream movies wirelessly. Now we have to get two dongles to take full advantage on our new TV and DVD player. That cost will be close to $200 in addition to the money we spent on Samsung TV and DVD player.

What is the alternative to using the Samsung proprietary dongles?

We are disappointed that this is how Samsung treats loyal customers.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung Wireless Dongle
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung Wireless Dongle
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Dongle alternatives
by dtmaddox / April 27, 2009 2:02 PM PDT

Try this, get a Linksys Wireless-N Ethernet Bridge with Dual-Band
(WET610N). around $90

Then get a 4 port "switch" about $20

Router, to wet610N, to 4 port switch, and then 2 eithernet cables, one each going to the TV and the other device. This should also leave you with 2 more ports to connnect 2 more devices later on if you want to.

I'm NO expert, so I hope others will comment on the above bridge/switch.

Collapse -
Dongle alternatives
by simon_1345 / May 22, 2010 8:48 PM PDT
In reply to: Dongle alternatives

Does anyone know why my UE40B6000 does not have a LAN connector? The box has a UE40B6000VM. I'm sure was told this device was LAN as well as wireless.

Fortunately I have a Samsung blue-ray player with a LAN connector, so it's not really an issue. I had an old wireless enabled laptop with a dead screen which was already networked on a 10.0.0. LAN. I plugged a LAN cable between the laptop and the blueray player. I initially specified lan IPs on 192.168.0. On the laptop I selected both the LAN and wireless adapters and created a network bridge. I then changed the blu-ray IP to be on the 10.0.0. network. So long as the laptop is turned on I have an internet connection.

The UE40B6000 is also hooked up as the VGA monitor for the laptop and with a wireless mouse and keyboard, I can browses the net comfortably from my lounge suite.

Collapse -
Samsung Wireless Dongle
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / April 27, 2009 3:12 PM PDT

The salesperson should have pointed you to the BD-P3600 or BD-P4600, as those units have the dongle included. Not everybody wants the additional dongles (as not everyone has wireless internet), so the cost isn't built into the sales price of either the television or the Blu-Ray player.

There are some options to wirelessly connect the television to your router (as listed by another poster here), however, the USB dongles are proprietary, and secondary or generic USB dongles won't be supported - at least, I haven't seen one that does yet.

One dongle, however, will support both units. I hope that helps.

Collapse -
Wireless dongle and ipod
by melmel18 / April 28, 2009 1:54 AM PDT

Thanks for the suggestion, dtmaddox!

HD Tech - will dtmaddox's suggestion work? I would rather have something set up permanently for both devices than plugging and unplugging. I guess if the dongle had been sold for a lower price, I wouldn't have minded getting them as much.

I am not surprised with Best Buy not informing us correctly. Generally they are focused on selling products instead of actually aiding customers and giving them the info they need.

Separately, I have another question. My husband's ipod plugs into the TV and plays great but mine doesn't work with the TV. The only difference is his is synced on a PC and mine on a Mac. Is that why mine doesn't work?

Collapse -
Wireless dongle and ipod
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / May 3, 2009 5:20 PM PDT

Yes, it is completely possible. You can substitute a wireless bridge like noted above and a switch - and in theory, it will work using the ethernet ports. Naturally, we can't offer support on the bridge - only the dongles - so if you do buy one, I *might* recommend buying the <b>same brand as your wireless router</b>. That way, Linksys doesn't tell you to call Netgear, who tells you to call Linksys, ad infinium, with the wireless router manufacturer blaming the Bridge and Switch manufacturer for not linking up... it CAN be a mess.

Been there, done that hooking up wireless for my Xbox, so I know. Had I ever dreamed 2 years ago that I'd use up to three ethernet ports at any given time, I might have considered the same thing.

Non-Samsung USB dongles aren't supported with 800-SAMSUNG's customer service, and I haven't seen any reports where USB dongles from another manufacturer work. None. But the ethernet bridge could work - but we won't be able to offer support for the setup of that network.

Okay - onto the iPods:

There are some Gen-4 Nano and Gen-4 Classics that possibly have a new firmware that does not allow them to work with the WiseLink (Samsung's software) capabilities. I called a few months ago to get some kind of official word from someone at Apple who could clarify some obvious changes people were experiencing, but my questions have gone unanswered and the person I spoke to was very vague about Gen-4 technologies, and I respect that. I have to be careful too. I'm not bashing them, but I couldn't get an answer to provide here.

In the meantime, I really have to geuss, since I can't speak on behalf of any company. But here's what my experience tells me:

Some of the iPods have what I suspect is an extra level of DRM (Digital Rights Management) which prevents the content from being digitally transferred - and that much I was able to conclude from my conversation with Apple - the person on the phone did say that a new protection level was placed. On these units, there is an additional level of protection that can't be bypassed by the Samsung televisions because they were implemented after the televisions were manufactured.

I welcome someone from Apple to correct me, and to clarify. But until then, that's the closest I can conclude.

Out of curiousity, and because I track these thread every day, which one works and which one doesn't? The Mac or PC one? I might start keeping track of this issue.

Collapse -
Wireless Dongle that works
by boseme / January 5, 2010 9:22 AM PST
Collapse -
Wireless setup - Mac
by rudasdoc / January 24, 2010 9:42 AM PST

Hi, I have the following setup: ADSL2+ modem to a Time Capsule set up as base for a WDS network (WDS Main), an Airport Extreme Base Station on the wireless network (WDS Remote) in another room, hooked up with another computer and network printer via ethernet. Question: from what I gather from above, I should be able to just hook up a Series 8 Samsung Led to one of the spare ethernet ports on the Airpot Extreme Bases Station (has 4 ports) and it should be good to go, meaning I can stream music and movies to it from any of the computers or external drives on my network either connected directly to to the base stations or via wireless? Thanks.

Collapse -
Wireless Internet TV on Series 8000 55" LED
by briggss1 / February 12, 2010 12:41 PM PST
In reply to: Wireless setup - Mac

Is it possible to watch HDTV streamed wireless from my PC to the LED TV? I want to play around with the free PC DVR/Internet TV services and see if I can cut my cable bill back eventually.

Collapse -
Just need to connect lcd to my wireless internet
by rhazin / June 10, 2010 12:36 PM PDT

After reading allover the internet for the past couple of hours, it seems I need this 'dongle' thing to connect my ln46a750 directly to my wireless internet. Just a couple of questions..

1. Is this correct?
2. Can I connect my sony blueray player to the lcd with this dongle too?
3. What is the advantage of connecting bluray players to lcds over just using hdmi? bc of less cables?
4. If I connect the lcd directly to the internet, is there a way to surf the web? or, do I need a computer as an intermediate connection? or is that the point of the blueray player? (I plan on watching movies, etc from the net.)
5. If samsung seems to have probs with the ipod synced to a mac, does that mean I won't be able to connect my macbook to the tv either?
6. Once I do get this dongle thing, where does it go exactly?

Thanks for all your help!!!!

Collapse -
Wireless Bridge
by dtmaddox / May 31, 2009 9:47 PM PDT

OK, I finally got my TV (Samsung PN58B860) and home theater (Samsung HT-BD1250) and hooked them up. For the internet connection I used a Linksys WET610N wireless bridge, and a Dynex DX-ESW5 5 port switch, (it says 5 port, but one port is the feed from the WET610N, so you have four left over for devices).

Cable modem ==> Linksys WRT54GS wireless router ==> Linksys WET610N wireless bridge ==> Dynex DX-ESW5 switch ==> to both the Samsung PN58B860 and HT-BD1250.

Here is the problem with the above when all were FIRST HOOKED UP. Both the Samsung devices did NOT see the internet connection, they both failed the connection "setup." So I took the Dynex DX-ESW5 out of the link and connected the TV directly to the Linksys WET610N. The TV NOW saw the internet and worked fine.

I disconnected the TV from the WET610N and connected the HT-BD1250 directly to the Linksys WET610N, and now the HT-BD1250 also connected to the internet and worked fine.

Then I inserted the Dynex DX-ESW5 back into the picture so both TV and HT are connected as below
Cable modem ==> Linksys WRT54GS wireless router ==> Linksys WET610N wireless bridge ==> Dynex DX-ESW5 switch ==> to both the Samsung PN58B860 and HT-BD1250.

Both the PN58B860 and HT-BD1250 work fine together now through the switch, after the initial setup process when the were individually directly connected to the Linksys WET610N wireless bridge. It must be something that they both need to NOT have the Dynex switch for "setup", but work fine with the switch in place after they are setup.

I have download content for the TV's library and have listened to Pandora internet radio on the HT-BD-1250, so I know that they are both working fine right now.

Collapse -
Wireless Bridge
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / June 2, 2009 4:19 AM PDT
In reply to: Wireless Bridge

Good news! Thanks for sharing your experience!

Collapse -
Got mine working too
by melmel18 / June 2, 2009 4:49 AM PDT
In reply to: Wireless Bridge

After hours of tinkering with my Netgear wireless router and D-Link wireless bridge, I finally got both the TV and blue-ray DVD player to connect to the internet.

Samsung_HD_Tech is right - if you want to use this kind of set-up, it would be best to get a wireless router and a wireless bridge that is of the SAME brand. I called support at Netgear and D-Link and they kept saying the other device other than their own is the problem. My husband and I were close to giving up when the TV crazily showed signs of connectivity. I don't even know what we did that resolved the issue but since it is working now, we can't complain!

Collapse -
not everyone has wireless internet?
by bdaniel / November 27, 2009 2:09 PM PST

"Not everybody wants the additional dongles (as not everyone has wireless internet), so the cost isn't built into the sales price of either the television or the Blu-Ray player. "

I'm finding it hard to believe that someone spending a lot of money on a new TV and BluRay player doesn't already have wireless internet. Wifi should be built-in to the player/tv.

Collapse -
Samsung BD1600 blue ray player
by lapt / December 23, 2009 5:24 AM PST

Hi - I just read this thread (after I bought the 1600). Will it work if I have a linksys router (g) w/built in 4 point switch? Do I still need to by this dongle-thing? And if so, where? The store (Radio Shack) said I didn't need anything else.

Collapse -
just take it back
by dsc95501 / January 25, 2010 2:47 AM PST

samsung is full of lies and misleading on this product.

Collapse -
Samsung BD1600 blue ray player
by lapt / December 23, 2009 5:34 AM PST

Hi - I just read this thread (after I bought the 1600). Will it work if I have a linksys router (g) w/built in 4 point switch? Do I still need to by this dongle-thing? And if so, where? The store (Radio Shack) said I didn't need anything else.

Collapse -
You should be good to go
by iam392 / December 24, 2009 10:57 AM PST

If you have a four port router you all you should have to do is run a CAT5 wire from one of the ports on the router to the ethernet port on your BD1600. The only down side to this method is having to run the wires. You may have to run them from your router into your attic and down the wall to your BD1600. Use this option if wireless is not an option.

If wireless is an option you can use the Samsung Wireless Dongle or use the wireless bridge option like has been mentioned above. Doing the wireless bridge option will give you the ability to have your wirless router in another room and the bridge by the BD1600. Then all you have to do is run a CAT5 wire from the bridge to the unit. This will eliminate you from having to run the wires from your router to the BD1600.

Collapse -
You should be good to go
by lapt / December 26, 2009 6:04 AM PST

So if I have this correctly: My linksys g router in the basement is ok. I need to buy a linksys bridge, which I attach to the blu ray player via a regular ethernet cable upstairs in the family room. The blu ray player will attach via cables to my Panasonic plasma TV. Can I configure the bridge via my MAC laptop (wireless access)? If not, can I configure it with the PC desktop that is wired to the router - and then move the bridge upstairs to the TV/blu ray? And (or?) if I just buy the dongle (for the same price as the bridge) will it all just be plug and play, even across 2 rooms and into the basement? Which is the more likely set up to work well? This is all making my head hurt........

Collapse -
You should be good to go
by lapt / January 24, 2010 10:07 AM PST

Update - I upgraded the wireless router in the basement to a (refurbished) dual band n from Linksys, got the Linksys bridge, plugged the Samsung blu ray into the bridge- and whoppee! It all worked the first time. It sometimes takes a while to find the connection, but it mostly downloads Netflix films seamlessly. Thanks, all.

Collapse -
i took it back
by dsc95501 / February 15, 2010 8:41 AM PST

i took back the 1600 and bought the 3600 with the included dongle. now it works like a charm. after spending many night up until 3-4 in the morning trying to get wireless router to work with the additional access point i bought (an additional 100 bucks). i took em both back and ordered the 3600 from amazon.

Collapse -
Samsung Wireless Dongle
by n2toys / February 5, 2010 12:08 AM PST

I just purchased a 55" Samsung television, Model LN55B650T1F, Model Code XZA, SN:AUH53CES900528X and a Blu-ray Player, Model BD-3600, Model Code XAA, SN:ZATE6V1SA33563X. The dongle that came with the Blu-ray player has the correct part number, works fine with the Blu-ray player, but will not work with the television. Two separate attempts to get an answer from Samsung resulted in a "carbon copy" email that said the dongle that comes with the Blu-ray player is not compatible with the TV. I can plug other devices into the USB ports on the TV and they work fine. When I plug the dongle into the TV it slips on too easily and does not seem to make contact. The TV does not recognize that anything is attached to the USB ports. What gives?

Collapse -
Samsung Dongle not recognized by TV (PS50B650)
by keatsfan3 / February 7, 2010 3:17 AM PST

I have a similar issue with my TV not seeming to recognize that the LAN dongle (WISO9ABGN2)is plugged in. I have tested both USB ports on the TV with other USB memory sticks, and a screen immediately pops up on the TV. When I insert the dongle, nothing happens at all.

It is the dongle that came with a Blu-Ray player, but it seems to be the same model # recommended for my TV.

Any idea what is wrong?

Collapse -
Answered my own question...
by keatsfan3 / February 7, 2010 11:02 PM PST

Seems after searching similar threads, that there are two dongles, and the one i have (WISO9ABGN2), only works on the Blu-Ray players. For the Samsung TVs, one needs to have the WISO9ABGN. Unfortunately, I can't return it, as I got it outside of Switzerland. In fact, I can't seem to find the WISOABGN in Zurich.

Collapse -
Bye bye samsung for ever--Duped twice
by murali_samsung_hit / February 8, 2010 2:38 PM PST

I bought samsung ln52b750 and bdp-1600 couple of weeks back spending $2200 on amazon and advertisement for both these items did not mention about abt extra lan stick for wireless..after i recieve the tv i can't hook to lan and i cant a ethenet cord in my living room thinking of returning both by this weekened...i better bu y sony lcd and ps3 for less cost...bye bye samsung

Collapse -
Sharing Dongle
by simon_1345 / May 20, 2010 8:31 AM PDT

"One dongle, however, will support both units. "
Do you mean unplug from TV and put in the DVD player ?
I have just purchased both the Samsung 6000 LED (wall mounted) and Blu-Ray player. I am annoyed that dongle is also required for wireless connectivity (two infact). And I presume that with only 1 USB port I can't also plus in a USB stick for photos. I'll probably run two USB extension cables out the wall to the front to make the switching easier.

Collapse -
by paulmazda / February 15, 2010 12:03 PM PST

Able to connect using unsecured network. Noticed that here is no change for open/shared option in the player.Is this a possiple problem??

Collapse -
Rosewill RNX-N1 as replacement for a Samsung dongle
by probyan / June 21, 2011 11:02 PM PDT

I bought a Rosewill RNX-N1 for my Samsung UE32C6000RWXXN TV, the Samsung Dongle cost twice as much.
And yes out of the box, had to select wireless connection on my TV, the rest was easy, it was working within a minute.
Best buy ever!

Collapse -
Samsung wireless dongle
by fletch1962 / July 26, 2012 12:22 AM PDT

I have a Samsung LED 5 series 32" TV and recently bought a Samsung WIS12ABGN dongle. The TV shows my wireless connection is loaded but I still cannot access internet. When I go to Source the Network I seek is shown as listed but the following error message is found when selected:-
"Request cannot be completed MEDIA PLAY weill return to the main screen."
My Internet supplier is Virgin. Can you please advise me how I can get the TV to work wirelessly.
I am a complete novice at this. Can anyone please help?

Collapse -
Sadly I can't help in this old discussion but
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 26, 2012 1:36 AM PDT
Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.