Samsung forum

Samsung White Dot Issue

by Airman127 / January 12, 2012 7:37 AM PST

Chalk another one up to the samsung white dot issue. I have set up a claim on, escalated on Facebook, and even called them. At this point they say they will replace the part but I am on the hook for the labor. So a part they know is bad and needs replaced, but they won't pay to have it replaced. I even asked to just have the part sent to me and I will replace it, but they said that wasn't an option. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung White Dot Issue
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung White Dot Issue
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
This is not a TV Repair Forum BUT
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 12, 2012 11:01 AM PST
Collapse -
Samsung Rep said, "I apologize."
by Jon_T_ / January 28, 2012 11:37 PM PST

I am perplexed that some tv's are recalled for the white dot issue, but my 3 year old tv does not fall into that recall category. If the tv's are having the same issue, why wouldn't all the tv's be recalled??

I am not looking for a new tv. I am only looking for the defective parts to be covered due to the defective technology my Samsung tv has.

Companies seek the holy grail of brand loyalty. Samsung has had this
with my family. The Samsung rep said, "I apologize. There is really
nothing we can do." It's a shame when companies take for granted their

Collapse -
Interesting that Ti hasn't updated their DLP FAQ for ????
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 3, 2012 9:39 AM PDT
Collapse -
Samsung White Dot issue
by Wayseer / January 28, 2012 8:39 AM PST

I was told today that my TV isn't on the recall list therefore it isn't a Samsung problem. Basically they discovered the defect about 5 years ago when TV's started to get to a year or so old. Although they recognized there was a problem and implemented a recall, they obviously did nothing to insure the defective part was addressed and not used in their TV's.

Collapse -
White dot issue
by SamsungDefective / January 30, 2012 11:47 PM PST

I agree! My HL-S6187W is also one of the Tvs that has this exact issue but not on their special replacement list! Why won't they help some of us???

Collapse -
by t_hunter44 / April 3, 2012 9:38 AM PDT
In reply to: White dot issue

I am with you. My HL-T6756W has the same Milky Way, if not more and I talked to 3 people from Samsung today and all Negative result, they cannot help and all they can say is"SORRY". We can spread the word around about Samsung and their TV products, all Negative of course and the Internet is one Powerful means to do it. I will start with Facebook.

Collapse -
by jciarrocchi / April 22, 2012 11:28 PM PDT
In reply to: WHITE DOT ISSUE

with you white dots, same response. sucks

Collapse -
HLT 7288 WX white dots
by jciarrocchi / April 22, 2012 11:27 PM PDT

with you, sucks

Collapse -
Another White Dot Issue
by tmaddox80 / January 31, 2012 12:25 AM PST

I am also now getting the white dot issue on my 56" DLP set (T5676S). Just starting but increasing. Started with one dot, have 5 or 6 now. I have not yet called Samsung, was just searching online for a cause and fix. Very concerned that I am seeing a lot of posts that Samsung will not stand by and fix a known defective part and take care of it. I had been sold on Samsung products and the quality but if this is not taken care of I will probably look to another brand in the future.
I will contact Samsung and report back what they tell me.

Collapse -
Same thing here
by thewagon42 / February 9, 2012 2:41 AM PST

I just had an identical experience Airman, they want $130some in labor and refused to just send me the part. I was prepared to pay $50 or so myself, but that's a pretty substantial amount. I don't see how they can admit there is a problem, cover the part, then charge me to have it replaced. Pretty sure I already paid them to build my tv once when I bought it...

This is not the first issue I have had with this TV either, and I got no help last time. If this is not taken care of I am done with all Samsung products in the future.

Ticket # 4113820538

Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / February 9, 2012 5:57 AM PST
In reply to: Same thing here

If that was a veiled request for assistance, I can't do much here for service issues.

Collapse -
the problem continues
by toddflorin / April 2, 2012 5:40 AM PDT
In reply to: If...

Purchased a Samsung HL 72A650C. Television has white dots. Samsung claims that my model does not have this problem and that this represents normal wear and tear. When a company has a known problem with a component, rebranding it with a new model number does not resolve this issue. My last big screen set lasted 15 years without incident. Claiming that a television becoming dysfunctional after 3 and a half years is "normal" is crap.
If I was aware of this problem at the time of purchase I would NEVER had purchased this unit.\

Collapse -
HLT 7288 WX/XAA white dots
by jciarrocchi / April 22, 2012 11:29 PM PDT
In reply to: If...

Advice on geing some help from Samsung?

Collapse -
White DOTS on the Sreen
by t_hunter44 / April 3, 2012 9:24 AM PDT

Just got done talking with a Samsung representative and she says she can't help me with this problem. The White Dots on the screen has escalated to thousands and it is getting worse everyday. After all the complaints regarding these Samsung Projection TVs, the rep says their was no Class Action regarding this products of Samsung. I guess we all learn from our mistakes and that was buying products from Samsung, and they wouldn't even stand by their product. A TV repair company called me, referred by Samsung, that it will cost me over $500 to get the eliminate the White Dots so I then tried another well known TV Repair shop in the area and they refuse to touch that Samsung model because the technician claims it will cost too much and they cannot give a warranty, his advice, buy a new TV and stay away from that company that made my TV. My alternative is to spread the word around about Samsung TV, on the negative side and to stay away from anything made by Samsung.

Service # 411 439 0199
Model HL-T6756W
Version PF01

Collapse -
Samsung white dot issue
by brncozfn30 / April 4, 2012 7:48 AM PDT

My 62" Samsung DLP started exhibiting this same problem about 2 weeks ago- now I have 12 dots........have called Samsung 3 times, talked through chat on their site and was even escalated to the executive service team. All I can say is what a terrible experience! How can a company with the kind of brand recognition treat their consumers this way? Like many here, I was told my HLT6156wx was not covered under the recall and it is nornal wear and tear. I've had my tv for 4 1/2 years and had to replace the lamp a few months back. After forking out $2800 for a tv how can a defective chip be "wear and tear?" Its not like my tv is sitting outside, exposed to weather- the tv turns on and turns off and its in my living room!!!

I expressed my frustration with the rep from customer service and he said there's nothing they can do other than refer me to a local repair center= $285 for the part, $250 to install......really? For another $400-$500 I can buy a new tv w/better technology and not have to worry about this B.S. problem recurring. Before I got off the phone, I let the rep know I will never ever buy anything Samsung and will do my best to tell everyone I know the same. The rep said sorry you feel that way.

Bottom line, samsung, you dlp tv's although have a great picture are piles of ______!! The fact that you know this and still will not stand behind your product is criminal to me! Here's hoping you go by the wayside. If someone could help me get my tv fixed I may change my opinion here but I'm not holding my breath.

Ticket #5103163274
chat# LTK5640862330x
model# HLT6156WX/XAA

Collapse -
yet another
by JSemm / April 21, 2012 6:14 AM PDT

I'm another one with the white dot issue that Samsung has refused to cover. I paid $500 to fix it because unfortunately I don't have the extra to just throw away a 3.5 yr old set. Mine is an HLT5087SAX/XAA. The repair tech encouraged me to call Samsung while he was doing the repair to try and get it covered. It was almost humorous because he and the 1st Samsung Rep were both surprised when I said I was told it would NOT be covered. Then executive customer service got on the line to tell me they would not do anything for me. Honestly, I'm not surprised considering that I am a registered owner and they never bothered to contact me about the capacitor issue my model IS covered for.

Ticket# 2112481713

Collapse -
Add me to the list!
by ML6280 / April 22, 2012 7:24 AM PDT
In reply to: yet another

I will give the Facebook angle a chance... after what I have read I suspect I'm starting a long frustraiting process! My 61 inch HLT6187sx/xaa LED DLP TV is exhibiting the problem that hundreds seem to have with their TV. I started with 1 white "dot" last week and now have 9. As a US Navy Submarine Electronics Officer I don't buy the "normal wear and tear" answer I got (DMD chip), it's not consistant with industry standards.
My "Issue ID" for my chat was:

I'll kep you all posted...

Collapse -
by ML6280 / April 23, 2012 10:03 AM PDT
In reply to: Add me to the list!

As you might expect...I got the "party line":

"After thorough research, it is determined that only specific models exhibited a slightly higher-than-normal failure rate. Although your TV has similar symptoms, research indicates that this is due to normal wear and tear.
Samsung can refer an authorized service center to perform any needed repairs. Because you are out of warranty, you would be responsible for the cost of any such repairs.
If you would like to receive quotes on service/labor from an Authorized Service Center near you please click this link:"

Sounds like a possible class action is in order here!

Collapse -
If so, be sure to go after the right company.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 23, 2012 11:16 AM PDT

Ti made this part. I find some forget this.

Collapse -
Sumsung Facebook support
by JSemm / April 23, 2012 12:46 AM PDT
In reply to: yet another

I've submitted a request for additional assistance via Sumsung's Facebook support. I'm not sure how Facebook support helps. It only seems to provide a way for Samsung to handle issues quietly rather than openly on forums like these.

I'll be sure to post updates here. For now I'll remain optimistic that Samsung will come around and reimburse me for this repair.

Collapse -
Have same issue Model HLT 7288WX/XAA
by jciarrocchi / April 22, 2012 11:25 PM PDT

No help from customer support.Advice?

Collapse -
wish i had advice to offer
by JSemm / April 23, 2012 11:19 AM PDT

I tried the Facebook support route and they gave me the 'normal wear & tear' routine. I requested very specific part number and model number information; we'll see if they help or not from here.

Collapse -
White dots
by ftlaud2004 / August 26, 2012 3:19 AM PDT

Did you ever get your white dots problem resolved? I am experiencing the same problem.

Pleas advise

Collapse -
So far, they sometimes cover the part but not labor.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 26, 2012 3:27 AM PDT
In reply to: White dots

It's been over 6 months but you can read all the other posts about this part replacement and how it's not a HDTV maker specific issue. This part appears to have a much shorter life span than Ti predicted.

Collapse -
White dots
by ftlaud2004 / August 26, 2012 5:08 AM PDT

How do you get them to cover the parts?

Collapse -
go to the office of the president
by JSemm / August 26, 2012 6:24 AM PDT

The only way I got real help was through the Samsung Office of the President. I submitted a complaint there and they finally covered the part. I also recommend joining the facebook support group.

Collapse -
White dots
by ftlaud2004 / August 26, 2012 10:55 AM PDT

You wouldn't happen to have the number or contact information would you?

I'm wondering if I can do try the same thing!

It would be very appreciated..... BTW what is he part number if you, that needs to be replaced?

Collapse -
How I figured out the part number.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 26, 2012 11:44 AM PDT
Collapse -
White Dot Issue - Favorable Response from Samsung
by tomcav61 / September 1, 2012 6:33 AM PDT

I have a 56" DLP unit, HLT5676SX/XAA which I bought in December 2007. About a month ago the dot problem started. Today (9/1/12) I called their warranty service. I explained that although I am beyond the warranty period, I knew the problem was a manufacturing defect based on the number of hits on sites like this one. I asked what could be done. After a few minutes, the technician informed me that my device is covered, and that they would send a technician out in the next few business days. No cost to me.

Needless to say I am very pleasantly surprised. This is the sort of service that makes me buy more products from a company. I remain perplexed why some of us are getting this problem fixed and some are not. I suspect they have a manufacturing lot that is within their "defect range" and are covering those, and they rest they are attributing to "normal reliability." I don't know if that's the case, just a guess on my part. Anyway, good luck to the rest of you.

Collapse -
White Dot Issue - NOT-SO Favorable Response from Samsung
by Jeff_Moreno / September 3, 2012 11:33 AM PDT

<div><font size="2" face="Arial">Hey Tom

Congrats on getting them to stand
behind their product, I have the HL-S5687WX/XAA unit with a much different
result in dealing with Samsung. Executive support basically told me they have a
strict policy on this issue and there is nothing they are willing to do for me.
I have and will continue to post my issue on as much social media sites as
possible to at least warn other consumers of this issue and how Samsung REFUSES
to stand behind a known defect. Additionally, I have filed a formal complaint
with the Federal Trade Commission and have been in contact with Block &
Leviton LLP who may be willing to take on a Class Action case against Samsung.
If anyone else received the same response as I did, you might reach out to both
of them along with the RIP-OFF REPORT and post your situation. Keep us posted on
if they actually repair your TV at no cost. My initial call was awarded with a
service ticket being issues, however upon scheduling with a local service
company, I was informed my unit was not covered and it would cost nearly $500 to
repair. I had a 5 year warranty which expired 6 months before the white dots
started appearing. Now I have 200+ and Samsung says my issue isn't included in
the recall. Regardless that I have the same problem as thousands of

Anyway, best of luck and keep us posted.

Jeff M.
Ticket number:411086680

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.