Samsung forum

Rant

Samsung vs Hulu Plus

by JMB6010 / June 21, 2011 2:55 PM PDT

I have a Samsung UN46C6000 and a Samsung BDC6900 Blue Ray player. I've been using Hulu Plus since Dec 2010 and for some reason I now get an error saying can't connect to Hulu Plus to check my network settings and check time and date. Hulu says it's the device, Samsung says it's Hulu. Given that limited number of worthwhile apps Samsung offers it's a huge disappointment to lose the use of Hulu. A bigger disappointment is with Samsung's lack of customer service. Long hold times means there are a lot of customers out there have a lot of trouble with their equipment and so far, all I've gotten is the brush off. Samsung's smart tv is turning out to be a huge waste of money.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung vs Hulu Plus
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung vs Hulu Plus
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Samsung vs Hulu Plus
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / June 21, 2011 3:33 PM PDT
In reply to: Samsung vs Hulu Plus

JMB6010,

Collapse -
Can't Connect Samsung Blue Ray to Hulu Plus
by JMB6010 / June 21, 2011 11:58 PM PDT

Thanks, I've used it successfully for six months. I've deleted and reinstalled the app several times. I've checked the date and time, set it manually several times. I've rebooted everything. The date and time on the blue ray are fine, the router date and time are fine, the tv date and time are fine but Hulu still can't connect to the device and Hulu insists it's the device. This setup was pricy and is only six months old. Samsung only offers a 3 month warranty for service and tech support is telling me Samsung doesn't like taking anything back ever.

Collapse -
Can't Connect Samsung Blue Ray to Hulu Plus -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / June 22, 2011 7:40 AM PDT

JMB6010,

Collapse -
Samsung vs Hulu Plus
by JMB6010 / June 22, 2011 10:29 AM PDT

Netflix works like a charm, Hulu Plus techs said Hulu Plus won't run if there is an issue with the devices date and time settings. Samsung techs indicated if all the other apps work then it's not a problem with the device, it's a problem with Hulu Plus but I am not sure that's good logic if the other apps don't have the same compatibility requirements. Rock/Hulu Plus, Hard Place/Samsung.

Collapse -
any resolution?
by liamsmom28 / July 6, 2011 10:56 AM PDT

We are having the same issue here at our house... everything was working just fine and then all of a sudden we get that same error message. Did you ever figure out what to do to get it to work? AGH! Thanks!

Collapse -
any resolution?
by liamsmom28 / July 6, 2011 10:59 AM PDT

We are having the same issue here at our house with the samsung bd-c6900... everything was working just fine and then all of a sudden we get that same error message. Did you ever figure out what to do to get it to work? AGH! Thanks!

Collapse -
No Resolution
by JMB6010 / July 7, 2011 9:36 AM PDT
In reply to: any resolution?

No resolution. Hulu and Samsung were clear, they don't have any interest. Seriously disappointing as the Samsung set up is not cheap, so not worth the money or the time.

Collapse -
maybe something?
by liamsmom28 / July 7, 2011 1:23 PM PDT
In reply to: No Resolution

I called hulu last night and they said they were logging all of the complaints and working on working things out... no timeline though! They will update us via email and are covering our next month's payment, so maybe it's worth a call back for you?

Collapse -
Time and Date Error
by JMB6010 / July 8, 2011 1:07 AM PDT
In reply to: maybe something?

I am seeing more complaints from other customers on other sites as well so maybe you are right, they will figure it out if it impacts enough customers. If it expands to other devices so much the better for those of us waiting for a fix.

Collapse -
Samsung vs Hulu Plus,Samsung BluRay (BD-D6500)
by jdg0000 / May 3, 2013 8:34 PM PDT

Hi, I have the Samsung BluRay (BD-D6500) and I'm experiencing the same communication issue with Hulu Plus and it reads: "Sorry, there was an issue contacting the Hulu Plus Service. Please check your network settings and make sure that your device's date and time are set correctly". The Samsung tech department is perfectly logical when they say "if the other apps work, example: Netflix, Then this is a problem with Hulu and not the device. My device has been using hulu for about 1.5 yrs and now it no longer can communicate with a single app (hulu), Something smells hear (for some reason Roku is unaffected). The only other issue with Hulu is their inability to provide a decent continuous steaming speed.

Collapse -
samsung
by caheomap / May 3, 2013 10:15 PM PDT

Can you say if any of the other Apps work? Netflix? Pandora? Any others?

Collapse -
Samsun vs Hulu Plus
by carolyntaylor_dotmac / July 29, 2011 4:49 AM PDT

I am dismayed to see this thread. My experience is exactly that of the original poster. I can confirm that Netflix works as does the web browser. I set the date and time manually, which is somewhat frustrating as I can find no where other than the menu for setting the date and time to confirm that it is showing up elsewhere. Hulu Plus has worked fine for the past several months. I have not yet tried deleting the application and reinstalling, but from reading this thread, sounds like that might not help. Please add me to the list of complaints regarding this problem.

Collapse -
Date time but what TIME ZONE?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 29, 2011 5:55 AM PDT
In reply to: Samsun vs Hulu Plus

I too find it annoying but it's picky about that.

Collapse -
Samsung vs Hulu Plus
by JMB6010 / July 29, 2011 6:04 AM PDT

Not sure what you mean by time zone, I am in Pacific. The time zone, time and date are correct on my equipment. Still doesn't work of course.

Collapse -
Sorry.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 29, 2011 6:11 AM PDT

Here's a primer on what Time Zones are -> http://www.worldtimezone.com/

There are a lot of things that must be perfect for these apps to work and since we have our internet connection which can be any number of things wrong. But wait let's get something out of the way first.

Consumers don't want to know all this technical stuff. They just want it to work.

If you don't want to look into the technical stuff, just call the 1800SAMSUNG and start asking for help.

Ok, we have a lot of ideas about networking Samsung but why not reload the Hulu app? Hulu and the others are tinkering with these all the time and they go and break it over and over and over. At least we know Samsung is not writing it so we don't do much more than call it in.
Bob

Collapse -
Samsung vs Hulu Plus
by davekski / August 1, 2011 1:49 PM PDT
In reply to: Sorry.

We are having the exact same issue, and have been for the past 2 months. One of the main reasons I bought the Samsung was to use Hulu and now it doesn't work. We've gotten nowhere with both Samsung and Hulu. If I could return the TV I would.

Collapse -
Samsung vs Hulu Plus Issues
by davekski / August 1, 2011 1:50 PM PDT
In reply to: Sorry.

We are having the exact same issue, and have been for the past 2 months. One of the main reasons I bought the Samsung was to use Hulu and now it doesn't work. We've gotten nowhere with both Samsung and Hulu. If I could return the TV I would.

Collapse -
Sorry if I didn't explain it well enough.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 2, 2011 12:14 AM PDT

While you do call Samsung the problems are two fold. Hulu writes and maintains (?) the app and we have networks that are not from Samsung or under the control of Samsung.

With those two issues consumers are upset that Samsung does nothing and since most don't understand the players and networks they rarely get it fixed.

Your complaints are indeed with the industry for creating things that are not supported by one call.

Again, sorry that it is this way but do look at the CNET Networking forum and the Samsung owners start here discussion for ideas on networking and then be sure to pester Hulu for their failures.
Bob

Collapse -
Samsung vs Hulu
by JMB6010 / August 2, 2011 12:57 AM PDT

I get that Samsung doesn't write and maintain the app but they do advertise that their products work with Hulu. They should take the equipment back if their equipment doesn't perform as advertised. No one is paying for a Smart TV that only works with some of the advertised apps some of the time for some of their customers. They don't offer enough apps to make the loss of Hulu negligable. Maybe if they had a better line up losing Hulu wouldn't matter but they don't so it does.

Collapse -
But it does work with Hulu.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 2, 2011 1:15 AM PDT
In reply to: Samsung vs Hulu

I guess I was unclear about that as well. If it didn't that's one thing but consumers don't care. It didn't work for them. I've seen it work many times.

Again, consumers don't want to know about networks and changes by Hulu or a DNS server that needs a refresh.
Bob

Collapse -
Same Problem Here
by TECampbell / March 22, 2012 4:59 PM PDT

I've had my Samsung 6300 series TV online for three months now directly connected to the internet via Ethernet interface. I know I have networking because Netflix, You Tube, etc. work. I doubly tested by taking Ethernet cable directly into my laptop and ran hulu plus on my laptop with no problems. I hook up the Ethernet to the TV, verified the tv has a date and time, and I get the same network error. This was why I purchased the TV to be able to access the internet and my hulu plus account. Can someone give me an answer as to what is going on. Is it the app?

Collapse -
Resolved?
by TECampbell / March 22, 2012 4:52 PM PDT

Were you ever able to resolve this issue?

Collapse -
Not Resolved
by TECampbell / April 1, 2012 11:59 AM PDT
In reply to: Resolved?

This problem has not been resolved.

I cannot delete a recommended app and reinstall if this is the case.

This is why I purchased the tv to use with my Hulu Plus account.

I am none to happy and have not found a resolution anywhere.

Collapse -
Not Resolved
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / April 2, 2012 3:18 AM PDT
In reply to: Not Resolved

TECampbell -

Are you logged in so that your email appears in the lower left hand side of the screen?

I don't have many details to go on, so I'll try to start there.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Same problem with Hulu
by yeakley@gmail.com / December 14, 2013 1:40 AM PST
In reply to: Not Resolved

Hulu has not worked correctly since the first installation. All other applications work flawlessly. It is probably a Hulu/Samsung problem. Hulu works well on all my other devices, including other TVs. Samsung works well with other apps, just not Hulu.

This is very frustrating. The TV is on an wired connection, not even wireless.

It doesn't sound like there is a straightforward solution. We wind up having to run Hulu through the PS3. Disappointing to spend so much on a TV to have to try workarounds.

If there is a current solution, please post.

Thanks,
-CY

Collapse -
Hulu is not HuluPlus.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 14, 2013 2:31 AM PST
In reply to: Same problem with Hulu

Please start a new discussion if need be but Hulu works very hard to block Hulu.com on devices and TVs.
Bob

Collapse -
Samsung & Hulu Plus
by Cedanet / April 13, 2012 6:25 AM PDT

I'm having the same issue here and I have a Samsung BluRay (BD-D5700) that was working fine. I've reset the factory settings several times on the Blu-ray player as well as the SmartHub. I've also power cycled my modem, my router, and my Blu-Ray player. Is there really not a fix to this because Hulu Plus adds enormous value to the viewing experience.

Collapse -
Problem Resolved!
by shangrace / April 15, 2012 6:14 AM PDT
In reply to: Samsung & Hulu Plus

I had the exact same problem with my Samsung BluRay and the access message for Hulu Plus telling me to check network and date/time settings (though other apps like Netflix worked fine). Here's what I did and it worked for me.

1. Reset to factory defaults (two places....via Settings AND Smart Hub) then rant thru the initial setup (like you did when it came out of the box) which included timezone and the wireless setup.
2. Turned off everything...TV, BluRay, Wireless and cable modem....then turned all back on. Waited a bit for everything to sync up and the BluRay to gain network access.
3. Tried Hulu Plus and it started up like it was new from the box...had to enter my account/password again, and even did the device registration again on the huluplus.com site.

This worked...hope this helps someone!

Collapse -
P.S.
by shangrace / April 15, 2012 8:19 AM PDT
In reply to: Problem Resolved!

Also...this was certainly a Samsung problem, my Roku was working fine with Hulu Plus (via SAME network) and so was my laptop....only the Samsung had issue with Hulu Plus.

Collapse -
wish this would get fixed
by kjbug40 / October 8, 2012 10:13 AM PDT
In reply to: Problem Resolved!

I done the steps you listed and sadly I didn't get the same results. I still have the same thing going on as with the entire thread. Hope someone hears something soon or can find another way to fix it!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.