Samsung forum

Samsung vs Bose speakers

by Srsamsung / December 22, 2012 1:31 AM PST

Hello, I'm trying to set up new cinemate series II external speakers to a samsung led un40eh5000f tv. Cable and ps3 going to tv through hdmi. Tv to external speaker system through optical out. There is no out for analog red and white cables. I've changed tv settings to external speakers, already on pcm and cannot change to dolby digital. I am getting power to the speaker system, but no sound at all. Everything is plugged in alright. Any help would be well appreciated!

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung vs Bose speakers
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung vs Bose speakers
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
We've discussed this before.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 22, 2012 1:41 AM PST

HDCP rules that when a device can render audio or video, any pass through shall be stereo or standard definition (480p). There is an exception for over the air in the rules.

This is not a maker bug or omission. To fix this you run the audio from the source to the HD HT system.

Collapse -
by Srsamsung / December 22, 2012 3:23 AM PST

Hello Bob,

I also tried running the audio through the optical out of the ps3 and out of the cable box to the stereo system, didn't work either...

Collapse -
by Srsamsung / December 22, 2012 3:25 AM PST

Hi Bob, Sorry if I'm answering for a second time, I'm not sure thatit worked the first time.

I also trying taking the audio from the optical out of the ps3 and the cable box without success...

Collapse -
I see there are discussions about PS3 optical setup.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 22, 2012 4:18 AM PST
In reply to: Precision

We know why you don't get more than stereo if you pass through. And if the PS3 isn't setup as well as the HT system you get no sound. There's also some issue with dust. I've lost count how many times I get out the canned air for a quick blast to the optical port.

Glad you discovered the HDCP issues sooner than some.

Collapse -
by Srsamsung / December 22, 2012 7:41 AM PST

Ok... So basically I have air canned everything I possibly could... The only way i can get any sound is by taking the red and white cables and plugging them from the cable box into the speaker system... I don't really mind but the ps3 only has the optical out so I can't get any sound from the ps3 from the speakers.

Ps3 to stereo (same as te cable to stereo receiver) doesn't work with the optical cable, with all the settings in order...

So this doesn't make sense to me (though I know nothing about electronics). What do I do, bring the system back or give a best buy dude a chance (don't know how much they charge)?

Collapse -
Ps3 to stereo support.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 22, 2012 7:47 AM PST
In reply to: Ok

Setup is finicky as every setting must be just so. I can't find the stereo system so I can't check if there are known issues.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.