HDTV Picture Setting forum

Tip

Samsung UN55D8000 picture settings

by katzmaier CNET staff/forum admin / April 26, 2011 2:24 AM PDT

Review:
http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/samsung-un55d8000/4505-6482_7-34503721.html

Related products:
Samsung UN46D8000
Samsung UN60D8000
Samsung UN65D8000

Calibration report using these settings:
http://scr.bi/hHEXF1

Below you'll find the settings we found best for viewing the Samsung UN55D8000 in a dim room via the HDMI input at 1080p/24 resolution. Your settings may vary depending on source, room conditions, and personal preference. Check out the Picture settings and calibration FAQ for more information.
http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-9996461-1.html

--Picture menu
Mode: Movie
Backlight: 10
Contrast: 96
Brightness: 51
Sharpness: 0
Color: 47
Tint: G50/R50

Screen adjustment submenu:
Picture Size: Screen Fit
Position: [no change]

Auto Adjustment submenu: [Grayed out]

Advanced settings submenu:
Black tone: Off
Dynamic contrast: Off
Gamma: -1
Expert Pattern: Off
RGB Only Mode: Off
Color space: Custom
White Balance: [see below]
10p White Balance: On
Flesh tone: 0
Edge enhancement: Off
Motion Lighting: Off
xvYCC: Off
LED Motion Plus: Cinema

Color Space submenu:
Red: Red 59, Green 0, Blue 0
Green: Red 10, Green 55, Blue 10
Blue: Red 0, Green 6, Blue 61
Yellow: Red 53, Green 50, Blue 0
Cyan: Red 4, Green 49, Blue 50
Magenta: Red 37, Green 4, Blue 41

White balance submenu:
R-Offset: 19
G-Offset: 18
B-Offset: 20
R-Gain: 31
G-Gain: 29
B-Gain: 24

10p White Balance submenu:
Interval 1: Red 2, Green 2, Blue 2
Interval 2: Red -1, Green -1, Blue -1
Interval 3: Red 1, Green 1, Blue 0
Interval 4: Red 3, Green 3, Blue 2
Interval 5: Red 6, Green 4, Blue 3
Interval 6: Red 7, Green 6, Blue 4
Interval 7: Red 5, Green 6, Blue 4
Interval 8: Red 3, Green 3, Blue 2
Interval 9: Red 1, Green 1, Blue 0
Interval 10: Red -2, Green 0, Blue -1

Picture options submenu
Color tone: Warm2
Digital Noise Filter: Off
MPEG Noise Filter: Off
HDMI black level: Normal [grayed out]
Film mode: Off [grayed out]
Auto motion plus: Custom
-- Custom settings:
Blur reduction: 10
Judder reduction: 0
Smart LED: Standard
Cinema Black: On

Note: This post was edited by its original author. to add calibration URL on 04/26/2011 on 9:31 AM PT

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung UN55D8000 picture settings
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung UN55D8000 picture settings
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
HDMI input settings
by mdlife / May 13, 2011 10:56 PM PDT

This great stuff.

How do I change the HDMI input settings to get the 1080?
Where are the controls for this?

I recently played a DVD from Blockbuster and the clarity was poor. Do I need to set the pitch?

Dean

Collapse -
(NT) Sharpness 0, really?!
by HDlife / August 4, 2011 3:21 PM PDT
Collapse -
Sharpness 0, really?!
by HDlife / August 4, 2011 3:28 PM PDT

I agree with most of the basic settings. But as far as the color space and 10p white balance, These settings can vary from tv to tv based on
subtle variations on individual tvs and the envirements they're in. The basic settings suggestions were a big help. But I definitely don't agree on setting the sharpness to zero, that kind of defeats the whole purpose of a high definition television.

Collapse -
samsung un55d8000 calibration
by josedr1000 / October 23, 2011 7:50 AM PDT

These settings are exellent when viewing my 3d blue ray.But when i switch my source to my Direct TV the picture looked washed out.Is there different calibration settings for viewing cable and playing ps3 games?If yes can you please post them thank you.

Collapse -
Thanks and question
by NEW2TV / November 20, 2011 2:58 AM PST

Hi Mr. Katzmaier.

Collapse -
samsung un55d8000 calibration
by cantthinkofname / December 11, 2011 2:51 PM PST
In reply to: Thanks and question

I don't think there's any way of doing your question 2 @New2TV.. It would be great however.. This TV is kinda tricky to calibrate. Also, I'm no pro but just using my own vision and liking. Browsed through websites and everyone has it on movie mode. I'm watching on a dark room but I don't like movie mode. Either Dynamic or Standard for me.

Collapse -
Judder reduction
by Ken62465 / December 13, 2011 2:12 AM PST

One comment on Judder reduction. Seems this is the culprit option that influences the "Soap Opera" look and many like setting this to 0. Well honestly I don't like it set at 0 at all. In fact the other night I was watching "The Debt". There's a scene early on where this guy has the type of walk where he bobs up and down in stride. With Judder reduction at 0 this scene was terrible...very jerk like motion. I found setting judder reduction to 4 seemed to smooth it out and just a hint of starting to see the Soap Opera look and this was a happy medium for me. I've seen the jerky motion before and was never sure wht contributed to it until I messed with the Judder reduction 0 value.

Collapse -
is there a picture setting for viewing in 1080i
by reno_guy / March 15, 2012 2:17 PM PDT

i would like to know whats the best picture setting for 1080i because thats what my cable provider offers?

Collapse -
The information in brackets
by kestrelman2 / September 19, 2012 10:00 PM PDT

Good morning,
I have a UN46D8000, how do I change the setting in the brackets: Auto adjustment : [ Grayed out] : HDMI Black level: normal [grayed out] ?

Thank you.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.