Samsung forum

Samsung UN55D6000 Netflix Login BUG

by frumiami / January 5, 2012 3:49 AM PST

The recent update that went out to my Samsung device at the beginning of 2012 has started my year off on a terrible note!

Ever since the update that seems to have overhauled the entire Netflix interface, I have to enter my login information EVERY time I use the Netflix app on my tv!

Obviously this can be a time consuming and very frustrating thing to have to do everytime I want to watch Netflix!

Here is what happens:

Launch app from Smart Hub>>Netflix starts and asks "Are you a new member?" >>I click NO (of course)>>prompts for login information (email/password)>>Then I watch what ever I want and exit the app>>Upon launching the app, the same process is REPEATED! every time!

ATTEMPTED Resolution: Called Netflix (nice people)>>deactivate Netflix app , unplug tv, etc. to no avail>>Netflix blames Samsung and gives me their #>>I call Samsung (not nice people) and they rudely blame Netflix>> I nicely ask her to hold while I conference Netflix in (nice people)>> With Netflix and Samsung on the phone, they have NO resolution or plan of action to help me (although Netflix guy was nice, Samsung girl (Ashley) was quiet and not helpful whatsoever>>Netflix guy suggest factory reset which I did to no avail!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung UN55D6000 Netflix Login BUG
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung UN55D6000 Netflix Login BUG
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
There is that other bug.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 5, 2012 3:55 AM PST

It's noted in the CNET Networking Forum where Samsung and other devices won't save passwords with an equal sign. There may be other characters but I am not going to test this.

And you are right. This bug appears to be not only unfixed but I've encountered it on other non-Samsung things.

Collapse -
by frumiami / January 5, 2012 3:59 AM PST

The password I use is 7 lower-case letters and 2 numbers. It does not contain any special characters.

Collapse -
Then that other thing.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 5, 2012 4:06 AM PST
In reply to: Password

There are some discussions where you have to be logged into the samsung smart hub first. Sorry but I think samsung deserves more calls and post at the SERVICE ISSUES as well (see top of this forum).

It seems that the discussion went round and round that there is a conflict between ease of use versus security. You can't allow folk to buy content without some security and since the TV makers are newbies to this area (how many years have they been in the smart tv biz?) the rough edges are showing. May take a few more years.

Collapse -
Login issues
by frumiami / January 5, 2012 4:13 AM PST
In reply to: Then that other thing.

The Smart Hub does not have a login. I simply click the Smart Hub button on my TV remote and it opens. Then I go to my Netflix ap which I have been doing for months now. At that point (when Netflix is launched) I do not know who "owns" the login process. Is it Netflix or Samsung? Who is responsible for storing the login?

The Netflix guy mentioned that he saw a discussion about the issue of Samsung devices having a problem storing login information, but had not further information.

I just want it to work the way it was working BEFORE the upgrade!

Collapse -
Who is responsible? You won't like this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 5, 2012 4:45 AM PST
In reply to: Login issues
Collapse -
Login issues
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 5, 2012 6:45 AM PST

Collapse -
That's what I was looking for,
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 5, 2012 6:47 AM PST

Collapse -
by frumiami / January 5, 2012 7:05 AM PST
Grin Samsung Support Emailed me a resolution that fixed my problem! Cool

Here it is:

Performing a reset to Smart Hub will return Smart Hub back to original state. By
returning Smart Hub to default state you will remove all downloaded app
and reload the original apps that were came on the TV. After the reset,
Smart Hub will need to reconnect with Samsungs server this will also
force all updates to be done to Smart Hub on the TV.

To perform a reset follow these steps.Press the Smart Hub button on the remote to open the Smart Hub. Press the Blue button on the remote to open the Settings menu. Use the arrow buttons to select reset, and then press ENTER. You may be asked for a Password, if you have not set the security code on the TV use the default code of 0000. The reset of Smart Hub will be complete. Accept the general disclaimers and let Smart Hub load.

Please let me know if this helps.

Jessica B.@SamsungSupportSamsung
Collapse -
login issues
by scooboo / January 22, 2012 2:56 PM PST

i have done this to no avail. system say connecting , goes on forever then never logs me on

Collapse -
Call it in.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 23, 2012 1:07 AM PST
In reply to: login issues

If they can't fix it, then you have a warranty issue.

Collapse -
not resolved
by scooboo / January 22, 2012 2:58 PM PST

didn't work. done over 10 times

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.