Samsung forum

General discussion

Samsung UN55B8500 - turns off by itself!

by nishandrew / November 16, 2011 6:20 AM PST

I bought this TV based on great reviews from CNET and other sites in February 2010. A few months ago it started turning off by itself. I read online that this is a problem for other models, but haven't yet seen that this applies to the UN55B8500. The "fix" is to turn it off, wait, and then turn it off. I've tried this and you basically have to wait for hours, which is great when you're trying to watch a movie with your on a Friday night on your $3,000, less than 2 year old TV. I called Samsung. While they acknowledged this as a problem on other models, and have supposedly issued a fix, they haven't yet acknowledged this as a problem on the UN55B8500. I said "it's the same problem, why can't I get the fix?" I guess because it hasn't become a big enough issue for Samsung to deal with. I think there may even be a class action lawsuit out there. I'm doing more research but wondering if other people have this problem, if they've reported the problem to Samsung and whether they've got any ideas for fixes short of paying hundreds of dollars to have a service tech come out. Needless to say, I will NOT be buying a Samsung TV ever again. They've lost me as a customer for good.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung UN55B8500 - turns off by itself!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung UN55B8500 - turns off by itself!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / November 17, 2011 3:05 AM PST

nishandrew

Collapse -
HD-Tech Service Link only for 2008 and older models
by StrayBullet44 / February 29, 2012 4:57 AM PST

It's good to see that "some" people are actually being taken care of! The link provided by the HD-Tech does not work for this model, as I tried to no avail except to be referred to a local repair place and pay out of pocket for the repair. Email sent directly to Samsung Support ended with the same result. It's amazing to me that this is a known issue on models manufactured after 2008 (as evidenced by posts here, on AVS, YouTube, etc) and yet very little is being done, except for the repair onus placed back on the consumer. If this were a car, it would be placed in lemon status. I guess I have to break out the soldering iron and purchase replacement capacitors on my own.

Collapse -
by nishandrew / November 18, 2011 7:08 AM PST

ok, i'll try that route. turned on the tv today and at this point it's only last 10 to 15 minutes!
thanks!

Collapse -
I have the same issue!
by tlpwis / November 20, 2011 2:41 AM PST

I have exactly the same issue on my UN55B8500 LED TV. It has been happening more frequently in the last month, and actually happened once last weekend and I could hear a relay clicking noise. The TV wouldn't power back on. I unplugged it for about 5 minutes and it finally came back on. I am about to file a claim on my SquareTrade warranty to see if I can get it checked out. It seems to be some sort of power supply issue based on the experience I had last weekend.

Collapse -
by nishandrew / November 22, 2011 7:40 AM PST
In reply to: I have the same issue!

you should definitely get it checked out sooner rather than later because we found that the problem gets progressively worse - the time you have to unplug is longer, it goes out more often, etc. we also have the clicking sound - as if it wants to turn on, but can't figure out how to do it. i'm working with samsung now so we'll see what they do

Collapse -
Post your answer
by mypenneys / April 29, 2012 6:40 AM PDT

I have the same tv and it was getting worse as time went on you would have to leave it off longer but I waited till it failed completely because did not want to incur a service call charge when the thing was working thats what would happen with the warranty no problem found you pay problem found they pay.

Collapse -
Un55b8500
by precab / November 21, 2011 9:21 AM PST

Samsung extended my warranty on this TV and paid for the repair Tech to my house. Was a quick service calll and board swap. Good luck.

Collapse -
by nishandrew / November 22, 2011 7:40 AM PST
In reply to: Un55b8500

did they extend the normal warranty or an already extended warranty? and how long did they extend it for?

Collapse -
Samsung PN50C7000 & UN46C7000 have turn off problem too!
by dddusa / November 23, 2011 3:04 AM PST

Just wanted to let you know that I'm experiencing the same issue with my PN50C7000 Plasma and UN46C7000 LED TVs. I purchased them in early 2010 and of course the problem started happening earlier this month, so both TVs are out of warranty. I got the same run around from Samsung saying that I need to pay to have a tech come out and fix them.

With my issue, however, it seems to have been triggered by a Smart TV (i.e. Internet@TV) update. Both TVs were working correctly prior to the week of Nov 7, 2011, but then a forced Samsung Internet@TV update seemed to have caused each TV to turn off/on every 4 minutes.

Please update this thread if you hear anything about a class action.

Collapse -
How early in 2010?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 23, 2011 3:47 AM PST

In the USA when I register my product I get 3 more months of warranty. Sometimes that's enough to pull it back into warranty.

As to the class action if you decide to go that route you find no service folk can talk to you as it's no longer a service matter. Be careful about that since it means it's no longer a service issue.

Be sure to use the Samsung support phone line as well as the post at the top of this forum.
Bob

Collapse -
How early in 2010?
by dddusa / November 23, 2011 8:45 AM PST
In reply to: How early in 2010?

Thanks for the info, R. Proffitt. My Plasma was purchased in Feb 2010 and the LED was in June 2010, so adding an extra 3 months to my warranties probably won't help much. The Samsung support person was nice enough, but just ended up following protocol and referring me to an authorized service center. The service guy said this power off issue is common with Samsung LCD TVs - there are a couple capacitors in (or near) the power supply that fail relatively quickly and that causes the TV to shut down. I'm glad to hear it's an easy fix, but I'm not happy that I have to pay for the repairs.

The reason I mentioned class action is because a simple internet search showed that a national law firm (Lieff Cabraser Heimann & Bernstein, LLP) has already begun gathering customer complaints related to this power off issue...so obviously, this problem isn't limited to a handful of customers.

Collapse -
Your choice.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 23, 2011 10:31 AM PST
In reply to: How early in 2010?

After the phone call you have the post at the top of this forum but if you go legal, all service folk will have to refer you to legal.
Bob

Collapse -
Samsung PN50C7000 & UN46C7000 have turn off problem too!
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / November 23, 2011 5:09 AM PST

dddusa,

Collapse -
Samsung came through for me!
by tlpwis / November 23, 2011 5:19 AM PST

Following the advice on this post, I filed the service item via the facebook link, and after exchanging a couple quick emails, Samsung has agreed to send out a service tech to repair the issue free of charge even though my manufacturer warranty expired. The service visit is already sheduled for 12/1. While I do have extended coverage thru SquareTrade, I don't need to try to work thru the complications of filing a claim through them.

Thanks Samsung and for the advice on this thread!

Collapse -
by nishandrew / November 25, 2011 3:42 AM PST

So, I also followed the advice. I went to Samsung Service on Facebook, was directed to Samsung Support on FB. Filed a claim and got an email advising me to file a claim with Samsung directly at goo.gl/s1kAv. Filed a claim there and was given the service center closest to me and told I would have to pay for the service myself, which is frustrating considering (as I said earlier) I paid more than $3K for this TV less than 2 years ago. I didn't get any emails going back and forth. Who were you exchanging emails with? Maybe I will contact that person and see if I can get a better response? Thanks!

Collapse -
(NT) smsupport@sea.samsung.com - Jessica B.
by tlpwis / November 25, 2011 6:34 AM PST
Collapse -
what ever happened
by deeteck / January 24, 2012 11:12 PM PST

I am having the same exact issues. The more help, the better!

Collapse -
Samsung UN55B8500 - turns off by itself! what ever happened
by nishandrew / January 25, 2012 1:19 AM PST
In reply to: what ever happened

i called samsung and they put me in touch with their local service repair people. after a few attempts at scheduling, someone came out. they replaced the motherboard and we haven't had the problem since. they were going to charge me for it, but because i complained about the amount i had spent and the short period of time i'd had the tv, they agreed to a one-time service call for free. hopefully that has fully fixed the problem and it won't happen again, but i'd DEFINITELY suggest calling samsung and having them send the tech and depending on what you spent and how old your set it asking them to do it for free.

Collapse -
I definitely will
by deeteck / January 25, 2012 4:26 AM PST

Thanks a lot! I will definitely do that as soon as I get home! ty

Collapse -
Wish me luck
by deeteck / January 25, 2012 10:30 AM PST

I just got off the phone with them. I explained my situation and agreed to extend the warranty for this repair. What a relief!!! You mentioned motherboard. Did the tech know right away that it was the motherboard? I want to be able to at least have an idea of what it is the tech might be speaking about. When did they fix yours? Thanks

Collapse -
good luck!
by nishandrew / January 25, 2012 9:59 PM PST
In reply to: Wish me luck

he didn't know it was the motherboard right away. he actually spent a good amount of time looking at the tv, testing it and then ultimately deciding it was the motherboard. but you could always mention that as a potential source of the problem. good luck!

Collapse -
Happy again
by deeteck / February 2, 2012 9:15 AM PST
In reply to: good luck!

Tech came out, plugged tv, tried to turn it on, and nothing. He says might be the power board. He switched it then just to make sure he switched the motherboard as well because he says they tend to affect each other. Plus, he doesn't want it breaking down one day after the 30 day warranty. What a guy! It took about 20 minutes. He says the price for both power board and motherboard are roughly about $200 - 250 each. Let's pray it lasts!

Collapse -
You may be right
by mypenneys / April 29, 2012 6:44 AM PDT

I also noticed it started to do this after the second tv update. I think the problem in on the main board that has the memory and programming on it. I think the power supply and the Led panel are OK but not sure.

Collapse -
Samsung UE46D7000 turns off by itslef!
by matehrani / January 24, 2012 4:58 AM PST

I have the same problem with my brand new smasung UE46D7000. Every hour or so, the picture goes stripey (verticaL0, then the screen goes totally blank, and after about 20 second it comes back. very disconcerting. i have not reported it yet to the vendor or to Samsung, but will shortly.

Collapse -
follow up
by matehrani / January 30, 2012 12:46 AM PST

Samsung tech support took me thru all trouble shooting steps that I had already tried, to no avail. told me to do a firmware upgrade by USB, but the TV refused to see the files. Eventually went back to vendor (John Lewis Dept Store), who said they will replace it, but there is a shortage of the sets so I will have to wait. Overall, not very happy with Samsung's response.

Collapse -
Same issue with Samsung UN55C6300
by JustStan / February 2, 2012 8:16 AM PST

<div>My 20-month-old Samsung UN55C6300 has recently started turning off and back on again whenever the screen goes dark (as when the program is going into a commercial). Also, when I try to turn off the TV, it frequently turns back on again by itself. Having researched the issue on this and other forums, I knew what to expect when calling in for service.

Collapse -
Good job!
by deeteck / February 2, 2012 9:22 AM PST

Its quite a relief!

Collapse -
UPDATE
by JustStan / March 1, 2012 8:47 AM PST

I forgot to update this sooner. For the record, Samsung did NOT take care of me. They scheduled an appointment for a service call for which I took off the whole morning and waited for the service tech. When no one showed, I called the number that Samsung had given me in case I needed to talk to the service people directly. They told me that they had called Samsung back and told them that my TV was not one of the TVs covered by the "capacitor issue" and that they would therefore not be able to do anything, According to them, Samsung then cancelled the service call. No one bothered to call me to tell me that the service call had been cancelled, so I waited home all morning for nothing!

I am completely fed up with Samsung and I'm telling anyone who will listen about the bad experience that I've had, both with the TV and with Samsung's "customer service".

Collapse -
Samsung UN558500 -turns off by itself
by mdargos / February 28, 2012 2:38 PM PST

I have the same problem with my set. I asked sears to take a look at it and they have been trying to fix it since Dec, 2011.

They changed every possible component and finally took the TV away today claiming it is unfix-able. I mentioned that I read about this problem online to the technician, but I what do I know....... he ignored me completely and left me with no TV for two month.
I love to hear more about the class action lawsuit on this topic.

Collapse -
UN55B8500 TV Changes Channels & shuts down then just clicks
by mypenneys / April 24, 2012 12:43 AM PDT

Started out changing channels and then started shutting down and going click click click click about every 7 seconds or so. mypenneys@hotmail.com

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.