Samsung forum

General discussion

Samsung UN55B8500 big problems!

by fvbounty / November 23, 2009 5:43 AM PST

I've had a Samsung UN55B8500 since the end of September when they first showed up, Great picture but there is a problem that is showing up on a lot of these sets, we call the problem "Crop Circles" its a pattern of circles that show up time to time on the middle part of the screen, the only way to get rid of them is by turning off the set and restarting, here's a link to a forum with pictures and a couple of small videos of the problem http://www.highdefjunkies.com/showthread.php?t=4196 Out of of 22 members with the 55" 8500, 13 of them have the problem, I sure hope Samsung can come up with a answer, not very good for a $4000 TV!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung UN55B8500 big problems!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung UN55B8500 big problems!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
same issue for me
by sfmoy / November 23, 2009 11:14 PM PST

seems like quite a few people have been experience the same issue. the poll over at the hdj message board indicates about 1/2 those who post there have seen the issue at least once.

Collapse -
8500 Crop Circles
by Rboris / December 8, 2009 11:49 AM PST
In reply to: same issue for me

This just happened to my set last night. I was watching TV and noticed what I thought was sunlight glare in the program material but then realized it was on every scene and all channels.

I may return the set if there isn't a fix.

Collapse -
Samsung UN55B8500 big problems!
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / November 24, 2009 12:57 AM PST

fvbounty,

I'm looking into this.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Thanks for looking at this problem!
by fvbounty / November 24, 2009 1:07 AM PST

Thank you very much, its more wide spread than you would think, since it's only been out for a couple of months and the high cost of the 8500.....hope it's just a firmware fix!

Collapse -
Any word yet --HDTech?
by fvbounty / November 27, 2009 4:38 AM PST

I was wondering if you have found anything on this problem --HDTech, it must be in the system, I have had contact with Samsung about it be no word lately?

Collapse -
Any updates?
by lindseybp / November 27, 2009 12:43 PM PST

Any updates on the status of this issue? Seems to be happening to almost everyone with this tv.

Collapse -
Any updates?
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / November 29, 2009 8:59 AM PST
In reply to: Any updates?

lindseybp,

No updates yet. I discovered the post before the Thanksgiving day holiday, and I spent some time over the holidays to do a little research, gather photos and see what's "out there on the internet".

So I'm summarizing this, and will be submitting all of the information I have on Tuesday in hopes of delivering a complete summary.

In six short days, I've have several people log on and complain, but prior to 6 days, I didn't hear anything about it. Normally I wander onto other sites, but with the holiday in full swing, I have a permanent queue in my response box and lots of new posts every day.

So please understand that I'm taking the issue seriously, and I will recommend that this be investigated, and I hope this is a sufficient indication that I'll be forwarding this information on. As soon as I hear something back, I'll post it. Unfortunately, until I hear an initial response, I won't have an ETA, or further information, but I will be watching.

In the meantime, I would recommend turning the SmartLED feature off for the time being if it's an issue with your set. I welcome pictures and videos, and thank those who have submitted them in advance for bringing this to our attention.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Thanks for the update
by lindseybp / November 30, 2009 1:07 AM PST
In reply to: Any updates?

Thanks for the update. It is much appreciated. I'm sure we all understand the backlog you are facing after a long holiday. I think this problem hasn't really popped up until sometime in the last 30 days or so and it is just picking up steam now so that's probably why you haven't seen much of it in tv forums prior to the last two weeks or so. Also, I think most people do not have this issue until several weeks into owning the tv.

I think the easiest way to deal with this until a fix is released is to just cycle the power, i.e. turn the tv off and then back on. I believe that has worked for everyone to make this go away, although it comes back. Smart LED is probably the biggest performance feature for this tv and to turn that off would really negate the biggest benefit of the 8500.

I think we all greatly appreciate the fact that you are taking the issue seriously and will stay on top of it. I know there are many owners, including myself, who saved for a long time and this is the most expensive tv we have ever owned. I'm hopeful that you (and others at Samsung) can provide a fix for this issue. Personally I have purchased three Samsung tv's in the past five months along with the top of the line Samsung washer/dryer combo and getting this issue resolved would solidify my brand loyalty to Samsung and make sure I do not move to another brand. Thanks again and I look forward to your continued diligence on resolving this issue.

Collapse -
I also am having crop circles!!
by lindseybp / November 24, 2009 5:03 AM PST

I have had this tv (UN55B8500) since the beginning of October and I ALSO have had the crop circles pop up on my tv. Thank you for looking into this as it was a very expensive tv and I want this to be fixed.

Collapse -
otehr links to pics and video of the problem.
by dallas_desperados / November 24, 2009 6:35 AM PST
Collapse -
Yikes!
by caeguy / November 24, 2009 10:03 PM PST

As a new owner of the 8500, I hope this doesn't happen to my $4K set. I hope Samsung can provide a fix soon.

Collapse -
Crop circles
by jorial79 / November 24, 2009 10:47 PM PST

I have seen these circles myself. I confirm that half of the owners seem to have had this problem. It happens when smart led is enabled. Samsung needs to take action because I am waiting to possibly buy this tv but not before there is a fix.

Collapse -
Question?
by zippykb / December 2, 2009 8:54 AM PST

I have been researching this television at my local stores for a couple of weeks with a hesitation of finalizing my purchase for the same problems as you and others have brought forth . Continuously, I am being told that the television is not the issue, it is the quality of the HDMI cables. Have you or anyone else found this to be true, or are sales personnel ignorantly diagnosing the problem? I have asked all if their display models have demonstrated the same characteristics, which all have said "No."
I have even gone as far as to revisit the stores to personally view what HDMI cables they are using.

Thanks,

KB

Collapse -
hdmi cables NOT the issue.
by sfmoy / December 2, 2009 11:10 AM PST
In reply to: Question?

hdmi cable being the problem is total bs. they tell you this b/c they want to sell you those $80 a pop monster cables. everyone uses cables they buy off monoprice - the ones that go for ~$5 a pop. i've been using them...they've never been the issue, except for the one cable that doesn't work right. that's one out of about 10 hdmi cables i've bought. for the price, i'll take those odds.

Collapse -
News from Samsung!
by fvbounty / December 2, 2009 11:24 AM PST
In reply to: Question?

I have been in contact with Samsung for a few weeks about this problem and they now have a fix through a Firmware fix, here's a e-mail I received today!

Dear Ken

Hi, How are you, sir?

I was informed that HQ found the solution of the problem finally.

This new version of S/W fixed this problem.

I'll send two USB sticks to you ASAP.

Just Plug the USB stick into the TV and upgrade the S/W, please.

Upgrade procedure:

1. Upgrade S/W version : 2007

- Plug the usb (marked as 2007) to TV.

- Select upgrade S/W in the menu.

and then,

2. Upgrade S/W version : 2009

- Plug the usb (marked as 2009) to TV.

- Select upgrade S/W in the menu.

The Final version is 2009.

Thank you very much for your generous support.

and let me know if you have any question.

sincerely yours,
HM.CHO

Collapse -
News from Samsung!
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / December 5, 2009 1:59 PM PST
In reply to: News from Samsung!

fvbounty,

Well, I can say that I was caught off guard by this post.

Could you forward that email to me at LSforumcontest@gmail.com ?

It would be much appreciated.

--HDTech

Collapse -
News from Samsung
by fvbounty / December 5, 2009 10:38 PM PST

I have e-mailed you the message I received!

Collapse -
News from Samsung
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / December 8, 2009 3:41 PM PST
In reply to: News from Samsung

fvbounty,

Thanks again!

--HDTech

Collapse -
Firmware Availability
by caeguy / December 15, 2009 2:18 AM PST

Any idea when this new firmware will show up on Samsungs website or on-line via the TV?

Collapse -
Firmware Availability
by fvbounty / December 15, 2009 3:12 AM PST
In reply to: Firmware Availability

I received mine a few days ago and everything is working fine, but only time well tell if it solved the crop circles, I was told the new firmware 1009 should be available in a week or two!

Collapse -
Does 1009 Firmware Work?
by ColinMcGraw / January 6, 2010 4:34 PM PST

I am considering buying this set, but am a little hesitant reading what I am about "crop circles"!

It's one of the more expensive TVs on the market, and I would expect VERY high quality!

Did the 1009 firmware work? Was picture quality compromised at all to do it (e.g, the didn't just disable "Smart LED" mode or something, negating local dimming)?

Also, if I buy a new set, can you just download the latest firmware from the internet if the TV is connected?

Collapse -
1009 firmware update..
by dallas_desperados / January 6, 2010 11:54 PM PST

From a follower of the 1009 firmware issue, the 2 people that were provided the 1009 firmware have reported they haven't seen the Crop Circle problem since installing the 1009. BUT it sometimes can take 20+ days to see it, which was my experience. So speculation is, 1009 fixed the problem and didn't compromise PQ or disable the Smart LED.

BUT Samsung hasn't offically released this fix, so you can't get it. And Samsung customer support states they have no knowledge of the problem and this no knowledge of the firmware update availablity.

I too like you would expect a TV of this price to NOT have issues like these OR have better customer service support to get them corrected ASAP. This isn't the case so far..

Collapse -
Samsung Apps?
by ColinMcGraw / February 26, 2010 5:22 AM PST

On a side note, does anyone know if the UN55B8500 is going to be able to support Samsung Apps described on page 6 here:
http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/electronics/cat500/samsung/detail/Samsung3DInterentTVSpringLaunch.pdf

...or is that only a feature of the new "C" series 3D TVs?

Collapse -
Samsung Apps?
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / February 26, 2010 11:39 AM PST
In reply to: Samsung Apps?

ColinMcGraw,

The Samsung Apps feature is new for the 2010 models, so I don't believe either Apps or 3D capabilities will be available for the 2009 models.

--HDTech

Collapse -
The dreaded Crop Circle effect
by caeguy / December 30, 2009 10:05 PM PST

The other day, I turned on my set and the Crop Circles showed up. I've had my set since late November. I'd love to here from Samsung of any status on a firmware fix.

Collapse -
Well - I definitely panicked
by tanfeet / January 29, 2010 2:18 AM PST

Just recv'd my 8500 2 weeks ago and have been loving it. Yesterday, I turned it on and experienced what I guess this forum is calling the dreaded "crop circles". On my screen they looked like parenthesis emanating out from the center taking up the center third of the screen in height. Glad I found this forum as I really was panicked. I automatically tried a shutdown restart, which seems to have been the right thing to do, and it did clear up the problem. However, I am wondering if it will reoccur. I hate the thought of a broken $4.5k tv. Looking forward to the patch and am glad so many are following/pushing for the fix.

Collapse -
I Believe The Firmware Fix is Released
by ColinMcGraw / January 29, 2010 2:44 AM PST
Collapse -
Additional problem with a new set
by nnowell / February 26, 2010 3:31 AM PST

I received the Samsung UN55B8500 55" this Tuesday and I am already running into issues. The major problem that no one seems to be addressing is light bars on the left and right of the screen during black or near black scenes.

I have not opened the manual yet, or downloaded the newest firmware, but has anyone else experienced these problems and/or know how to fix it?

Collapse -
No problems here.
by ColinMcGraw / February 26, 2010 5:12 AM PST

I ended up buying a UN55B8500 too and don't have the issues you mention.

I'd try downloading the latest firmware to see if that helps, then call Samsung support if it doesn't. It could be that you have a defective unit, but given that you just bought it, you should be able to exchange it or get it fixed under warranty.

Collapse -
Additional problem with a new set
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / February 26, 2010 11:32 AM PST

nnowell,

This is screen uniformity, and it's inherent with LCD as a technology. I can say if that if you try to get it fixed through warranty, you have a 50/50 chance of it being better or worse. That's what people have reported in the forums, so I would definitely suggest working with your retailer.

The other option is that if you're in Dynamic mode, switch to a Standard mode and adjust the backlight accordingly. These symptoms are multiplied when people use over-bright settings.

I want you to be happy, so do what's best for you.

--HDTech

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech Tip

Stuck without Internet and want to watch movies?

CNET shows you how to download movies and TV shows onto your device using Amazon Prime so you'll always be entertained.