Samsung

General discussion

Samsung UN46C8000 HDMI "Check Signal Cable" Error

by Maiden2k / January 8, 2011 12:04 PM PST

i was watching satellite tv as usual on my UN46C8000 and then it stopped, went black for half a second then the "Check Signal Cable" message went on the screen. i restarted the TV, same thing, restarted the Sat HD receiver, same state. Tested my others HDMI ports with the receiver, all the same error. Tested my PS3, Computer and Blu Ray player (c6900) on all HDMI ports and Nothing !!! I had lost my HDMI computer connection to the PC a while ago but i didnt needed it but now, all 4 HDMI ports don't seems to work. All 4 are shut on the Source list but my C6900 stays available but i got the Check signal cable...

i have the latest firmware and i've done the reset default setting and back to store mode, nothing worked...

i dont know what to do anymore...

all other connections works except HDMI....

HELP!!!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung UN46C8000 HDMI "Check Signal Cable" Error
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung UN46C8000 HDMI "Check Signal Cable" Error
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
help
by Maiden2k / January 10, 2011 1:02 PM PST

any idea ???

Collapse -
Check Signal Cable Error
by blax0r / January 27, 2011 5:30 PM PST

Running Windows 7, I use my UN46C8000 for a second monitor and sometimes when I change monitor modes/resolution (esp when a media player is running) or plug in an external HD/USB drive, both displays go black, flicker on and off for 2-5 secs and finally the Samsung "Check Signal Cable" Error w/ black screen...

My fix: Plugged a USB drive with a high-res video file (1080p) into the Samsung and play it w/ the TV's media player... Power off your HDMI devices and continue playing that video for a few minutes and shut off the TV - Then turn on your PC/HDMI devices and when they're booted, turn on the Samsung and it should detect and display!

Its a pain but works for me (sometimes takes a few tries) - Hope this helps.

I don't understand why Samsung doesn't put a little more effort into giving their awesome hardware some (at least halfway) decent software - Its like putting the 4-speed automatic transmission of a busted-*** Dodge Dart into a brand new Porsche Carrera...

Collapse -
Samsung UN46C8000 HDMI "Check Signal Cable" Error
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 28, 2011 4:41 AM PST

Maiden2k,

I'm sorry to hear that you're having this issue with your TV.

Try to reset the TV. With the TV powered ON and HDMI inputs removed, press and hold the EXIT button to see if resetting the TV helps. You'll know quickly if this works or not.

If not, I'd recommend calling 800-SAMSUNG and having a technician inspect your unit.

--HDTech

Collapse -
HDTech
by Maiden2k / January 28, 2011 10:31 AM PST

yes i've called Samsung and they will send a tech with a new board, which looks like to be the probleme as i've tried everything possible so far with no success... i hope i won't have too many problems like this in the future Sad

thanks for the tips

Collapse -
work around for the issue
by jaydee_smith / January 28, 2011 10:13 PM PST
In reply to: HDTech

Hey Buddy,

I had the same issue last night with the exact same tv here in Sydney, Australia.

Called samsung support this morning which ended in "we will have to send a tech out"

But i found a work around for the issue which fixed the hdmi ports for me and some others. Unplug the tv power cord from the wall socket or powerboard etc and leave it unplugged for at least 10 minutes. Then plug the tv back in and the hdmi ports should work again.

The above steps worked for me. but im not happy that the issue happened considering the tv is only just under 2 months old and wasnt exactly cheap.

jaydee

Collapse -
repaired
by Maiden2k / February 4, 2011 9:37 AM PST

called samsung support to get a tech to fix this, he changed the board and everything works well now.

thanks

Collapse -
What Board???
by kdrew / June 2, 2013 10:43 AM PDT
In reply to: repaired

My TV just experienced the same issues. Cable box and DVD player are fine. Cable box is sending signal to the cable company. Can hear sound for the DVD. No picture at either HDMI port (or any other of the 4).

Collapse -
THIS IS A CAPACITOR ISSUE
by kdrew / April 6, 2014 2:03 AM PDT
In reply to: What Board???

I have now found that this is a capacitor issue thus you must unplug the cables and power and wait for 5-10 minutes for the capacitors to discharge. Then it works fine. The issue has not happened again until April 2014. The above fixed the issue but ultimately the board will need to be replaced. Sadly, the picture on this TV is AWESOME so I am sad that Samsung has not backed their TVs better.

Collapse -
Google BAD CAPS.
by Dafydd Forum moderator / April 6, 2014 2:11 AM PDT

This thread is 1183 days old you might want to make a new thread.

Dafydd.

Collapse -
Does not match BAD CAP symptoms.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 6, 2014 3:54 AM PDT

As this thread is so old I'm going to comment and lock it. Start a new thread for your discussion.

Collapse -
Same thing here.
by .Trane / February 18, 2011 1:00 AM PST

Looks like I'm getting the same thing on my brand new UN55C8000.

Nine days after it arrived I turned the TV on to find that it only listed HDMI4 in the connected inputs part of the input menu, though HDMI4 has never been connected to anything, and didn't list HDMI2 or HDMI3 which were still connected. It did, however, correctly display the resolution that was coming in off those devices and communicated fine over HDMI-CEC/Anynet+, but displayed only the "Check Signal Cable" message. Component and antenna inputs work fine as well as internet access. The same problem occurred four days later and again the following morning.

The problem didn't resolve by unplugging just one of the HDMI devices, but did resolve when unplugging both with the TV turned off, power cycling the TV, and then turning it back on after reconnecting the inputs.

Guess I'll have to call Samsung.

Collapse -
Samsung Smart TV HDMI No Signal - Check Check Connected...
by ijustfixedit101 / September 18, 2013 8:55 AM PDT
In reply to: Same thing here.

"no signal check connected devices power cable connection and source selection"

I just had this same error. After some online and telephone tech support that went nowhere, I found a post of a guy saying he fixed it; all he did was unplug his cable box from the power.

To fix the error with my TV (PC, Blu-Ray Player, and PS3, all hooked up with HDMI recieving the same error), this is what I did:

1.Power on TV and Blu-Ray Player (or any other HDMI connected device _should_ work).
2. Make sure it's all on, TV set to recieve signal from whatever input (mine was set to HDMI1)
3. Rip both devices from the power, or switch off the power plug. Yes, turn them all off at the same time in the worst way possible.
4. Plug them back in/turn your power bar back on
5. Watch some crazy wizard magic happen.

I think it was some sort of problem in the mechanism where the HDMI devices were authenticating/handshaking.

The forced reset caused a disaster that the TV was forced to reset everything for on a hardware level.

TV doesn't work? Rip it from the power while it's still on. Plug it in again, and BAM! WIzard magic.

I had the LN55c70 LED 3D TV, everything was working except the HDMI inputs (VGA, USB, all worked).

Collapse -
Samsung Smart TV HDMI issues
by DrEdBlas / January 14, 2014 8:34 PM PST

This really worked, I don't know why or how but it did.

Collapse -
This worked like qizard magic!
by tptimmy / February 6, 2014 9:07 AM PST

This worked for me. I was about to start crying that my TV was broken. Thank you for posting this.

Collapse -
Thanks!!!
by wmartinezv / April 5, 2014 9:54 PM PDT

Thank you so very much!!! You solved my problem. I was so worried

Collapse -
I had similar issue with an older LN-T3253H
by sambugs / January 15, 2014 3:02 AM PST

Had the same issue with an older 32' screen that surfaced about 2 months after I purchased it brand new a couple years ago.

My solution was to unplug the HDMI input and reconnect it while the TV was on.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.