HDTV Picture Setting forum

General discussion

Samsung UN46B6000 picture settings

by katzmaier CNET staff/forum admin / April 30, 2009 1:43 AM PDT

Review:
http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/samsung-un46b6000/4505-6482_7-33488069.html

Related products:
UN40B6000
UN55B6000

Below you'll find the settings we found best for viewing the Samsung UN46B6000 in a dark room via the HDMI input with a 1080p, film-based source. Your settings may very depending on source, room conditions and personal preference. Check out the Picture settings and calibration FAQ for more information.
http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-9996461-1.html

--Picture menu
Mode: Movie
Backlight: 2
Contrast: 98
Brightness: 45
Sharpness: 0
Color: 49
Tint: G50/R50

Advanced settings submenu
Black tone: Off
Dynamic contrast: Off
Gamma: +3
Color space: Auto
Flesh tone: 0
Edge enhancement: Off
xvYCC: Off

White balance submenu
R-Offset: 23
G-Offset: 24
B-Offset: 24
R-Gain: 27
G-Gain: 23
B-Gain: 11

Picture options submenu
Color tone: Warm2
Size: Screen Fit
Digital NR: Off
HDMI black level: Normal [grayed out]
Film mode: Off [grayed out]
Blue only mode: Off
Auto motion plus 120Hz: Custom
Custom settings:
Blur reduction: 10
Judder reduction: 0

--Setup menu
Game Mode: Off
Energy saving: Off
BD Wise: Off

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung UN46B6000 picture settings
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung UN46B6000 picture settings
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
gamma question
by hemanrulez / May 4, 2009 6:19 AM PDT

I tried these settings on my UN40B6000 TV and I can't understand why you have gamma set to high to +3. Admittedly I have a bright room and a bright white wall behind the TV, but anything over 0 for the Gamma completely washes out the picture on my set. Everything else though is a great baseline (especially the tip about the blur/judder custom setting).

Thanks for posting and keep up the good work!

Collapse -
Same here
by DENONANDKEF / May 5, 2009 5:58 AM PDT
In reply to: gamma question

Wow I thought it was just me, the +3 on gamma does make things look soft and washed out.

Collapse -
Gamma @ +3
by katzmaier CNET staff/forum admin / May 6, 2009 11:53 PM PDT
In reply to: Same here

On the model I reviewed, Gamma at +3 was the only way to prevent shadow detail from becoming overly obscured, especially in dark scenes where the backlight would drop slightly. My review goes into more detail, if you want to check it out.

As always, of course, your mileage may vary, and there's no way I can guarantee the sample I reviewed best represents what's out there in the field.

http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6603_7-5109683-3.html#TVreviewsample

Collapse -
Automatic Backlight Dimming
by software_review / May 13, 2009 5:40 PM PDT

The Samsung software developers really need to add a setting for Automatic Backlight Dimming. If there was an option to Lower and Turn Off the dimming it would really help in preventing the loss of shadow detail in dark scenes.

Maybe if enough people email and call them about this it will get implemented in a future firmware update.

Collapse -
Autodimming can be turned off!
by Lmoooo / May 18, 2009 8:32 PM PDT

It can be turned off in the service menu. CE DIMMING it's called.
Downside: if the APL drops below a certain value (displaying an entirely black screen i.e.) the screen turns off. Haven't had it happen during movie/tv viewing though.

I encourage the reviewers to test this set again with the dimming turned off, because this was causing them troubles measuring the dark scenes. I wonder if they would still use gamma +3.

Collapse -
Autodimming can be turned off!
by software_review / May 19, 2009 10:59 AM PDT

Lmoooo,

Yes, I've read that you can turn it off in the service menu. I wouldn't recommend people go into the service menu and start changing things though unless you really know what your doing, since you can really mess up your tv and void its warranty. If you have a technician from the company do it or a ISF calibrator fine, but for the average joe that has never been in the service menu before I would advise against it.

Samsung just needs to provide a setting in the Advanced Settings of the Picture Menu so that anyone can change it easily.

The CNET TV reviewers no longer access the service menu of tvs for their calibrations.

http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6603_7-5109683-3.html

Under: Test procedure -> Calibration

"Note that, unlike many of the third-party TV calibrations offered today, such as those available from contractors certified by groups like the ISF, the calibrations performed for CNET TV reviews no longer utilize settings in the hidden "service menus" of televisions. Nearly all HDTVs have these menus, and previously we would access them to better calibrate our review samples. In the last couple of years, however, we have begun posting our ideal dark-room picture settings as part of our reviews, and since users cannot typically assess those service menus (at least, not without voiding the warranty), we decided to no longer use them in our calibrations. We recommend that TV viewers avoid accessing the service menus themselves, because without proper training they can do more harm than good. Happily, many new HDTVs offer ample controls to achieve optimum picture quality without having to resort to service menus. "

Collapse -
Thanks and just one other thing about the calibration....
by Lmoooo / May 19, 2009 5:36 PM PDT

Agreed, they should, lets hope it comes as a firmware update.

I can understand those reasons, people shouldn't have to use the service menu. I just thought you calibrated AND posted normal picture settings as close to the calibration as possible.

Just one other question:

With the contrast above ~89 i get a colorisation in my greyscale stepping pattern, did you notice this too? Because you recommend 98 (or is this a typo and should it be 89?!). With contrast ~89 i still get enough black detail and can see 16 reference black.

Collapse -
Samsung LN-46B6000
by gedalneil / August 13, 2009 12:04 AM PDT
Collapse -
Picture mode
by andyvhoang / August 30, 2009 8:38 AM PDT
In reply to: Samsung LN-46B6000

Hi
I love the LED 46B6000 but the only one thing I wonder is most of Blu-Ray movie or DVD movie played on the unit did not play full view of the screen. Most of them are missing on top and bottom with black bars due to 16:9 or wide screen movies.

I have to live with it like that? No way for me to zoom it to full screen?

Thank you

Collapse -
Thanks for the tip! Looks great for me
by tyoism / June 5, 2009 4:24 AM PDT

I just purchased the UN40B6000 and these settings really do give you the film feeling. I'm using them on my standard DVD player with component input and it looks "smooth" and even across the entire picture.

Thanks!

Collapse -
best buy calibration still needed after these adjustments?
by baby-gas-bomb / August 2, 2009 6:19 PM PDT

i was going to have the geek squad from best buy come to my house and do the calibrations on my new samsung bn46000 46" led tv. but the settings for the picture recomended by c-net are great and they really do give you the film feeling. although i did put my gamma to +2 and adjusted my brightness to 50. and i think it is perfect. thanks c-net. but would you still recomend me having best buy's technichians come out to my house and perform the calibration any way? or at this point will it be a waste of 169.00. also how do you save the picture settings to a particular input? ie one for my hdmi cable box and one for my playstation 3. sorry for the wall of text i just wanted to get the most out of this sweet new set.

Collapse -
Avoid Best Buy Calibrators
by gedalneil / November 10, 2009 11:01 AM PST
Collapse -
un55b6000
by pogiepnoy / July 29, 2009 1:08 PM PDT

can you use these settings for the un55b6000 as well???

Collapse -
Samsung LN 55B6000 Settings
by gedalneil / August 13, 2009 12:03 AM PDT
In reply to: un55b6000
Collapse -
Standard Mode Calibration
by mustang923 / August 16, 2009 2:01 PM PDT

Hi,

Do u have any calibration settings for the standard mode for the UN46B6000??? Thanx.

Collapse -
Samsung LN 55B6000 Settings
by VANILLA_COOL / January 8, 2010 7:32 PM PST

Hi Guys, I loved your picture settings for Samsung UN46B6000. Very rich is the best word to describe. The settings are keepers to be sure. Thank you so much for all your efforts and help. This site is an outstanding consumer help, and I for one very much appreciate all you've done, BUT DO U HAVE THE SETTINGS FOR Samsung LN 55B6000 Settings, THE LINK SEND ME TO TE HOME PAGE, THX

Collapse -
settings
by k_nguyen82 / November 5, 2009 8:43 AM PST

Although I can clearly see the advantages of these settings. It allots for seeing details in dark settings of movies. But since I'm so used to watching tv and movies in vibrant colors, it's kind of weird to watch it in what seems less color. It's a hard balance behind seeing details and seeing vibrant colors.

Collapse -
Thanks
by djk666 / December 6, 2009 11:55 PM PST

Thanks so much for posting these settings. Once I set my Samsung up this way and watched a few movies in a darkened room I was totally in love with my new tv. Before, I was worried that I'd made a big mistake and the tv would ruin all movies for me.... Your help has made all the difference!

Collapse -
samsung unb6000 picture settings 2010
by rblaundin / February 25, 2010 7:53 AM PST

now I'm a person who likes vibrant colors and depth. the best settings i found for me in a bright room / dark room

picture setting set to standard
back light to 8
contrast to 94
brightness to 45
sharpness to 50
color to 50
tint leave it to 50/50

in picture options
color tone normal
size 16:9
digital nr to high
film mode auto 1
auto motion plus 120hz go custom set to blur 8 and judder to 4 then select the option to smooth

advance settings
black tone dark
dynamic contrast low
gamma +1
color space native
white balance leave only
flesh tone 0
edge enhancement on

plug and play settings
game mode off
bd wise on
energy setting set this to low.
with the energy setting set to low this will reduce alot of unnecessary brightness throughout the whole picture.it evens everything out completely.

now I'm a painter and i like vibrant colors but with these settings i think it looks absolutely amazing hope it helps.

Collapse -
SAMSUNG B6000 SETTINGS
by andyvhoang / February 25, 2010 9:14 AM PST

THANKS
I will give it a try tonight.
My setup was on the the post earlier in this forrum.

Collapse -
picture settings
by rblaundin / February 25, 2010 2:19 PM PST
In reply to: SAMSUNG B6000 SETTINGS

so what do you think with them settings. hope they work out as well as they do for me.

Collapse -
I disagree
by jpoler1 / June 2, 2011 1:57 AM PDT
In reply to: picture settings

I think that the turning the power consumption to low makes the entire picture too dark IMHO. It reduces any brightness, not just unnecessary brightness. I know that we all have our personal preferences. What do others think?

Collapse -
settings
by celfan28 / March 12, 2010 2:49 AM PST

Thanks Katzmeier, those settings really cleaned up my TV. I'd say that I may have liked the original factory settings a bit more, just a bit, for perfect pictures under perfect lighting. However, with those original settings, anything other than a perfect source was completely unwatchable. I really wanted to try your settings because you used standard instead of movie like many other settings I came across. I may tweak a bit here and there, my reds may be just a touch pink, but the picture looks really good.

I was going to return the tv this weekend, I found your post just in time.

BTW, I have the un32b6000.

Collapse -
oops
by celfan28 / March 12, 2010 2:52 AM PST
In reply to: settings

oops, I meant to thank RBlaundin for the settings, not Katzmeier.

Collapse -
color a little pinky
by rblaundin / March 13, 2010 5:09 AM PST
In reply to: oops

just set back the color thing from 50 to 46 or 48 it should clear it up some but remember with these new TVs it really shows what the actors look like. bad tan jobs bad make up job etc... not sure if a sports fan but run it from something you watch all the time. like espn/nfl network. or even your guide menu

Collapse -
more information
by ivy2010 / March 14, 2010 1:41 PM PDT

ths for you message ,
can you supply any more compare with other

Collapse -
gee squad?
by ironman4u / March 27, 2010 12:46 AM PDT

just put on any bluray disc, and on your samsung tv turn the judder reduction to 10 and you will see what HD is all about! no geek squad,, no 300 dollar calibration!

Collapse -
WOW
by BOB02911 / April 2, 2010 2:45 AM PDT
In reply to: gee squad?

I love these settings, thank-you for the time you took in getting our Tv's to look fantastic .
Bob

Collapse -
Other settings that could use some tweeking
by Bencebo / November 23, 2010 4:58 AM PST

The Samsung UN46B6000 HDTV has been out there for a while but I got a real deal on one, so decided to get one. It really looks terrific, especially with these settings. there is one (related) setting that I'd like to adjust, in fact, turn off. when the set starts up or the screen resolution changes (channel surfing), the set displays the new values in the top left corner. How does one turn this off?? It is really disconcerting to get a 1 second a/V burp on the display, then get a black screen showing the info, then finally, the real thing. I'd really rather simply have the video display bypass all of that stuff and simply display the picture. Is this a standard Samsung "feature"? thanks in advance for advice.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.